experimentation board questions

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I am no good at soldering but wanted to up my skill a little and while at it create a cheap psu to go with the small card computer I have bought from Zetro.

since I never enjoyed electronics at school, I have a few questions. I have never worked with an experimentation board either...

How do I intereconnect components, with the extra leads of the components or by creating solder bridges or by wire?

I did not manage to create long solder bridges, they looked ugly so I removed them.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@jvdvbossc

Thats a great start, I see you have designed a 5volt regulating supply max (10amp) draw =)

I would interconnect each component with somthing in the 4.5 to 6amp range (2.5mm) thick copper wire.

Now looking at your prototype I would suggest looping from the bottom to the top and then back down again.

If I could suggest anything, after you have tested your prototype you may need a little heatsking assembly between each pair of regulators? - It may not be needed but it might help with efficiency.

really looking forward to seeing this little beast up and running =D

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Ok I will use copperwire then, I had really no idea what people used for this.

There are 6 12 volt regulators at 1.5 amp rating
there are 6 5 volt regulators at 1.5 rating

The diodes however can only take 1 amp

Lets hope I get it right, last time I manged to explode an lm. Anyhow if it is not powerfull enough there is a little room left for extra regulators.

I was planning to cut old chip heatsinks, it will be ugly then, but might find on ebay good looking ones,

Oh yes Zetro suggest as much as possible, If it is at home or cheap to get I will take suggestions.

thanks for the help

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I know, I do not have the wires, I tend to use old ide cable for the small hack jobs, but I understand that would not be a good idea since that might be overloaded on this one. Thanks for the right translation, it is an easy ebay job to do know..

While at it,there is termal compound, but there is also the adhesive stuff that glues the cooler to the chip? I cannot find the right word in my mind.. I probably never had it anyhow. How is it called in EN? :Doh:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Lets hope for the best. I am going to deliver this to a friend who studied electronics to have a look.

He will test it in the mean time I have time to saw some heat sinks, i hope it delivers full 6x1A 12v and 6x1A 5V

It is small enough for me

Top Bottom