External Floppy Drives into 1200T?

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I am having a lot of issues getting drives to work in my 1200's thanks to some nasty floppys totally ****ing them up royaly.

Basically I have loads of good spare external floppy drives for Amigas and am wondering would it be possible to cannibalise them to make them work in my tower? Has it been done before? I just hope it doesn't require soldering or anything else serious. :unsure:

Any help on the subject would be great since I have wanted to get her properly running for ages. :(

NOTE: I have noticed some have a lot of jumper configurations/options and others have hardly any, hmmm...

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
If it helps, I recently took a standard Cumana external drive and put it into an A1200 without doing anything to the jumpers and all works fine (y)

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Hmm, I have atleast one of them, would be worth a try maybe, its just I got a nice white pair of Sony drives and would rather use them if possible. :)

Should have mentioned that I would like 2 internal ones (DF0 and DF1).

Anyway, thanks Taj for the info. (y)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I use the floppy pc modification for towers. They sell units at vesalia, however you can do it yourself after some research, only a couple of wires,the right unit..

I did not find anything not working when I thought it was because of .. (tested a couple of times with real unit )

Even my A3000 kicks with one of those modded drives.

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Thanks jvdboosc, though no offence but by the time you look into P+P to the UK, it will be well over £20 which I feel is a bit steep for a floppy drive. Though i'd be more then happy if someone was to mod one that either I can provide or can do one all themselfs and i'd be happy to pay good cash for that. :)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
It is indeed not that difficult, even I can do it. I ruined however one floppy drive because I "touched" a chip with some solder..6eu down :whistle: No hot gun at home...

If you follow Rkauers guide, it will be very easy since that will be bigger contacts.

Here is the link I used http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43265

Top Bottom