External HxC Case Idea!

JLPedro

AmiBayer
Country
Portugal
Region
Coimbra
Is it possible to boot (and use multiple disk games) NDOS disks from the external drive?
I also have and HxC Drive Emulator and really love to see the progress on this!

(y)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Is it possible to boot (and use multiple disk games) NDOS disks from the external drive?
I also have and HxC Drive Emulator and really love to see the progress on this!

(y)

Im not 100% sure on that but I know that we can hack the Mobo so that the external drive is DF0 if we need to.

I found (hopefully) a source for the perspex who can supply it cut to the right sizes so all I have to do is glue and cut the slot for CF/Buttons/cables and mount the screen :cool:

Will update when I have the bits...

Steve.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
From 2.04+ ROM you can boot from any floppy device you like, but some games doesn't allow this feature.

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Well on a 1200 if you disconnect the internal drive and connect a external it see's the external as DF0:..
I plan to put a slim CD-rom were DF0: was..

Chris :coffee:

JLPedro

AmiBayer
Country
Portugal
Region
Coimbra
From 2.04+ ROM you can boot from any floppy device you like, but some games doesn't allow this feature.

Yes I know that you can boot mostly any game by pressing booth mouse bottoms at start and choosing DF1 as boot device, but will this work with a 2 floppy game (when the game asks to change floppy my guess is it will be for DF0)??

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Well I sorted the case, an ebay seller who does the perspex is going to cut it to the right sizes for me, £3.50 inc P&P. :D

That just leaves me to drill holes for the buttons/cables, file a slot for the SD Card, mount the screen and glue it all together.

Wish me luck...

Steve.

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Well on a 1200 if you disconnect the internal drive and connect a external it see's the external as DF0:..

I was 100% wrong about this I have to stop messing around on the amiga after I take my sleeping pill,, sorry guys..

Chris
:Doh:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks

I was 100% wrong about this I have to stop messing around on the amiga after I take my sleeping pill,, sorry guys..

Chris
:Doh:

lol, no worries. You can modify the mobo so it thinks DF1 is DF0 though.

My perspex arrived today so just waiting for the internal FDD gubbins'

Steve :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hopefully the FDD gubbins' arrive today, so want to make a start with the plans on this.

Anyone know what sort of buttons I need? I can leave a gap on the ftont as a temp stop gap to use the built in buttons but would like to mount the screen and buttons on the front idealy. I understand external buttons can be soldered to the PCB.

I've attached a basic plan of my idea...

Attachments

• HxC.JPG
    HxC.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 0

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Hopefully the FDD gubbins' arrive today, so want to make a start with the plans on this.

Anyone know what sort of buttons I need? I can leave a gap on the ftont as a temp stop gap to use the built in buttons but would like to mount the screen and buttons on the front idealy. I understand external buttons can be soldered to the PCB.

I've attached a basic plan of my idea...

Plastic rod,spring,and pins were the first thing that comes to mind..

Still working out the pressure since I can only go by pic's but it's a start..

Kind of like the reset buttons on a PC the spring part of it..

Last edited:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Well the bits arrived, I hooked them up to my A600. it works and disks start to load as far as the crack into then they won't load any further, I'm guessing this is to do with booting from DF1.

So I guess I'll need to trick miggy into thinking DF1 os DF0 :ninja:

Something to mess about with over the weekend...

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Just an update really, the system works fine as I managed to get some games (Like IK+) to work :)

So I'll look at the switch mod, but first I'm going to start to make my enclosure.

Pics to follow over the weekend...
Oh, actually I do have another question for the Guru's :bowdown:

There is an earthing point on the power/connector cable that I guess is supposed to connect to part of the external drive casing. However using a perspex case I wont have an earthing point. Seems to work without being earthed but is there going to be any problems?

Cheers!

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
There is an earthing point on the power/connector cable that I guess is supposed to connect to part of the external drive casing. However using a perspex case I wont have an earthing point. Seems to work without being earthed but is there going to be any problems?

Cheers!

If it's a perspex case you can ignore it mate ;)

TC :cool:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks

Cheers!

If it's a perspex case you can ignore it mate ;)

TC :cool:

Thanks mate :cool:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hey Guys!

Here's some pics of the prototype :D

Its just put together with a few blobs of hot glue for now, I need to work on the front/back and buttons/screen.

IMG_9881.jpg

IMG_9883.jpg

IMG_9887.jpg

IMG_9886.jpg

IMG_9888.jpg

IMG_9890.jpg

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Very nice job Steve..

Also that switch on the back is that for setting it to df0: or to disable the drive?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Very nice job Steve..

Also that switch on the back is that for setting it to df0: or to disable the drive?

Thanks =)

I'm pretty sure that's an On/Off Switch on the unit, I've not pressed it yet though!

If you spotted the hidden switch on the A600, that's a Rom Switch 1.3 and 3.1 Roms. :)

Steve.

Top Bottom