Facebook is scary!

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
I ranted about how bad I thought IE was to develope towards at facebook, and the next time I loaded I had suddenly a completly different profile image and to top it off my small image was an e.

facebook.png

Who is that fat bloke and what is he doing on my facebook? I logged in again and then it was normal.

Is it just cache servers acting up, a warning from the possible future or microsofts share in facebook that is taking a revenge on my rant towards their product?

In case any wonders, this is how I usually look:
19750_272545586319_511626319_4398900_3569454_n.jpg

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@moijk

my sincere thanks, another shining example of me NOT joining facebook =)

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Im right with you Zeet, I cant stand social networking sites. Is it me or are they compromised by malware practically every week or so?? I seem to see it mentioned on tech news sites often.

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
Meh, the whole Intarwebz are full of malware, no matter where you go. I've been using quite a few social network sites but none has ever given me any trouble. As long as you know what you're doing you should be fine..

But I can understand where the trouble comes from. Take the same Facebook for example - there are dozens of games on it (like Mafia Wars), and a huge number of people are only on Facebook to play those games. Among those there's again a scaringly high number of people who just will click any link that will lead to what they think something cool. I have an ex-coworker who's pretty much a computer illiterate, but he likes to play all these games.
I receive automatically generated invitations from him to join some game or whatever ("hey! I've got some cool MSN emoticons! If you want them as well go to http://www.getmsnemoticonsforfreeandwewilldevouryourharddisk.com and click on "Kill my computer now"!!!!") about 3 times a week. Needless to say his computer is infested with malware and viruses (n)

I've never encountered anything like this on Facebook though. I think it's just a server glitch really. The whole web seems to be twitchy the last few days. Maybe it's being bothered by vuvuzelas :nod:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
dangerous stuff..

dangerous stuff..

Being the last 5 years in "human resources" related jobs, I can only and strongly recommend you keep things as seperated and as PRIVATE as possible, or you will have disadvantage from it.

What would you do? If you find an future employee with mates in a pub, joined a local beergroup, looks drunk on images.

Yup, envite him at 8:00 monday morning for the first interview ...

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
Among those there's again a scaringly high number of people who just will click any link that will lead to what they think something cool.

I've never encountered anything like this on Facebook though. I think it's just a server glitch really. The whole web seems to be twitchy the last few days. Maybe it's being bothered by vuvuzelas :nod:

It have been reported that some of the pages that requires you to "like" them to be able to see whatever stupid thing they proclaim to offer you, are in fact snipping your private information. Same with whom you befriend - no use to work with privacy settings if you deliver your privacy to strangers which can for what you know be bots harvesting whatever information you share with friends for spam-purposes.

And as I clearly demonstrate here, whatever privacy settings you got. if there is a glitch your images might end up in the hands of total strangers. What if that was one image that dude did not want others than his friends to see?

I've seen quite some glitches lately too. I'm running os x and linux with a critical eye on what I run, so I don't suspect any compromise of data. I just see the fun side of the strange glitches.

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

eab is also looking mighty funky today, wonder if I have to try a new dns server or something.

eab.png

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
Bullcr*p. If you use FB with some intelligence you will never have to worry about privacy stuff. You don't have to have an IQ of 189 to know that it is horribly stupid to fill your profile with pictures of yourself while being drunk and naked, combined with your full name and professional details/history. I either use only a nickname or just my first name, or refrain from placing possibly harmful pictures or interests on a profile.

And those "future" issues are completely retarded :nuts:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
10 Wonderfull Reasons why I am NOT a part of FaceBook

1. Dilusions of Grandure (wait, how does Victor know?!)
funny-facebook-junk-blocker.png

2. What is REAL anyway?
funny-facebook-dogtreats-fv.png

3. Answers to Questions that have yet to be asked.
funny-facebook-car-water.png

4. Comfort Zones... and the lack of them....
funny-facebook-mom-sexjoke.png

5. Incensed insensitivity!
funny-facebook-suicide-traf.png

6. The Written Word....
funny-facebook-fullstop-sig.png

7. Family Over Sharing
funny-facebook-virgin-heard.png

8. Unlogical deduction
funny-facebook-dolphin-wing.png

9. Unique viewpoints and interpretation
funny-facebook-lolspeak-fai.png

10. The Center of the Universe
funny0facebook-gas-confess.png

I thnk theres enough of those types on FaceBook, I don't need to be adding myself to that.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
HAHA that's magic Mr.Z. :LOL:

I too have steerd way clear of these sites. Thing is people complain that we live in a world that is very much a "Big Brother" atmosphere, and I would certainly agree with that. Yet people on these sites openly declare their personal lives, I have seen some even admitting what thety have done which the plod would certainly like to question (though I wont discuss that on here).
I know this because my partner has pointed them out, she happens to use MyFace or something. :roll:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Failbook, Lamebook, there's loads of comedy gold to be had from these sites.

My inner chemist is PMSL @ the "0mg Cholesterol gag"

:LOL:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Just another form of Trojan/Spyware/rootkit afaiac. (n)

Kin

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
Among those there's again a scaringly high number of people who just will click any link that will lead to what they think something cool.

It have been reported that some of the pages that requires you to "like" them to be able to see whatever stupid thing they proclaim to offer you, are in fact snipping your private information. Same with whom you befriend - no use to work with privacy settings if you deliver your privacy to strangers which can for what you know be bots harvesting whatever information you share with friends for spam-purposes.

And as I clearly demonstrate here, whatever privacy settings you got. if there is a glitch your images might end up in the hands of total strangers. What if that was one image that dude did not want others than his friends to see?

I've seen quite some glitches lately too. I'm running os x and linux with a critical eye on what I run, so I don't suspect any compromise of data. I just see the fun side of the strange glitches.

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

eab is also looking mighty funky today, wonder if I have to try a new dns server or something.

eab.png

OOh, why are you using IE? Its a POS browser that Firefox trumps in everyway. Plus, I like facebook for reconnecting w/ long lost friends. I am on a mac, so I never have to worry about malware, for now at least. Please don't diss Facebook, its IE's fault. May I direct you here: toastytech.com

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
OOh, why are you using IE? Its a POS browser that Firefox trumps in everyway. Plus, I like facebook for reconnecting w/ long lost friends. I am on a mac, so I never have to worry about malware, for now at least. Please don't diss Facebook, its IE's fault. May I direct you here: toastytech.com
I think you will find Firefox also has it's issues too aside what many people may think it's 100% stable, for me it's anything but. I find it less stable then IE IMHO.
Though I will admit, Firefox it is alot more usable.

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad

I'm on an IE only when something web-related needs to work in that browser. Usually takes a lot of swearing, and "look, it works in everything else".

Those oddities was on chrome/mac.

Top Bottom