Fake micro sd cards

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
I am soooooo f'd off!!

i need a 32gb micro sd card for the wifes phone, so i got one on ebay from China, it arrived (it was extremely cheap!) i plugged it in and it said 32gb:), i installed a couple of mp3s and it said "out of space" wierd, so i had a look and suddenly it was an 8mb card not a 32gb, contacted the seller who was not a member anymore, reported to ebay/paypal and got my money back YAY!

so i thought i'd buy another one, this time from a UK seller and at very near to retail price, listed as genuine Kingston, it arrived i plugged it in, it read 32GB:), i copied across a couple of files and.......card no longer recognised! WTF!! so i contacted the seller who said "there is a lifetime warrenty with Kingston on this card, contact them" so i did, Kingston said "send us some pictures of the card" so i did and they said, "sorry it's a fake, nothing to do with us"

back to the seller, who said "you corrupted the card when you transferred the files, why should i give you a refund for something you broke, regardless if it's a fake or not?"

i replied that surely the whole point of a memory card is to be able to move files about?

it's in the resolution centre and the item reported as fake, but there is nothing i can do but wait, i'm surprised that Kingston have no interest in this.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Can you show us the photos? It might be useful for some of us to be able to recognise a fake.

Anyways, I hope you get it sorted out mate!

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
yeah i'll post them tonight, now i know what a fake one looks like it's actually really easy to tell, i'll list the details when i get home this evening

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@Juvvy

If its 'not as described' mate then you'll get a refund thru paypal, just a case of waiting it sucks but thats all you can do.

These Fake Memory cards are a real problem, I've had a few CF 4gb Cards that show 3.4/3.5gb and thats not right...

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Steve.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Join the club Justin. I still haven't heard back from Ebay or Paypal about closing my case too soon :censored:

...Best of luck m8.

FYI. here are some articles about identifying fake memory cards I just found via Google.

SONY
http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/FAKE-Sony...Gate-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001535763

Sandisk
http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/FAKE-SanD...ds-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001254881?afsrc=1

USB Flash drives
http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/BEWARE-of...ash-Drives-on-eBay_W0QQugidZ10000000001236067

Kingston (not much detail)
http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-FAKE-F...Elite-Pro-SD-cards_W0QQugidZ10000000002771721

Last edited:

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Beware of Chinese ebay sellers!
China has built a powerful industry to bury the rest of the world under a bunch of garbage.

FOL

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Wales
Ive bought loads of fake cards.
Hate to say it, never had a problem with any of them.

With sony sticks it may come up as "Magic Gate Unknown", but formatting it as FAT made it nice and quick.

If it looks to good to be true then its proberly fake.
I knew what I was buying was fake, so I didnt really care. It works.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Good to post it here anyhow. I did not know it yet. I noticed that at least for CF cards it was cheaper to get locally.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
There's loads of fakes out there, hence why I NEVER try and look for bargain ones on eBay or Amazon as your almost certain to be dissapointed. Stick to buying them in the shops even if they are rather steep. Failing that, use a site like picstop, they where great when I lastt used them.

zaxon

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
Not only sd cards, cards as total .Trusted seller is important but sometimes also make suprises.After a short break i order 20 sd card for device who i made from my trusted seller we have 1 year cooperative. On 20 cards,4 not working,7 read write problems.All brand new. Of course i return it, but where is my time?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Yeah, not only flash cards, you know?

CapacitorProblemSm.jpg

xc8

A>_
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Birmingham
omg!! its the first time I see something like this!

... Also there are fake ... SID chips

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Yeah, not only flash cards, you know?

CapacitorProblemSm.jpg

OMFG! Unbeliveable & to the dick who thought that scam up, :tool :nod:

@ Juzza

Good luck with your refund chap. As a matter of interest, have you tried it in another device. Not all devices will support 32GB cards. ;)

Kin

Last edited:

zaxon

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
Ufff , capacitors too faked ? hmm what i can tell, xxx,xx,xxx,xxxxxxxxxxxx, and is also xxx, for seller.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
How very interesting.....

Why eBay did not put a full stop to all these fraudulent activities?

• We have been informed that eBay will NOT act unless the trademark owner (SanDisk, Sony, Kingston) contacts them. All buyers report to eBay hoping that the sellers receive permanent suspension for supplying counterfeits are in vain. eBay will ONLY act if directed to do so by your local law enforcement agency or the rightful trademark owner under eBay’s VeRO program.
  • You must file a complaint to your local government agency (in Australia is the Department of Fair Trading) about your seller. When increasing amount of fake reports are received daily by the government agency, pressure will accumulate and more heat will be generated.
  • When there is enough pressure and momentum, something will eventually be done as such government agencies are obliged to act against eBay's unguarded open web channel of allowing high influx of fraudulent items into each country's public marketplace, directly from overseas.

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I've been caught out before by a UK ebay seller who was selling "32gb" Kingston USB drives. It of course ended up only being 256mb :dry: I did however get a refund and apology after contacting the seller and also contactng a few other people who bought the same item from him (they were also a bit miffed about it).

Anyway, i now use a USB flash tool to test/verify any memory card i buy:

http://www.sdean12.org/USBFlashTools.htm#Download

H2TestW is also a great utility to test for fakes:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

:cool:

Top Bottom