Falcon 1240 / Falcon 040 - Information / Manual

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hello there my fellow forum AmiBayers,

Recently I have been exceptionally lucky and have one of these (Falcon 1240 / Falcon 040) within my collection.

I honestly feel that I have won on the lotto - its an awesome card, very well designed and constructed.

However I know very little about the card, I have seen what amiga.resource.cx and the big book of Amiga hardware have to say about the card, but thats just so skimpy I want more =D

• I would like to know what the jumpers do,
  • can the card run in asyncronus mode with the memory
  • whats the upgrade method for an 060 (although I will likely keep it 040)
  • Fas16 SCSI chip onboard to (looks like a proprietary) 50pin header, does it DMA? it should but need more info!

There is so much mystery I am SUPER excited! I really must know all there is to know about this card, my OCD monkey needs YOUR help.

So if you have a manual for one of these cards I would love a scan of it, or to beg-you-to-death for it =)

falcon.jpg

my thanks for any help you may have =)

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@z: That's one of those cards that make you go like ooooh, and aaaah just by looking at 'em! :D Anyway, good luck with finding the documentation for it. Looked "around" a bit, but nadda! However, by tracing individuals who have the same card (there are a few it seems), you could prolly get into some sort of help.. I noticed a few forums that mention this card, even at the M68k Linux place. Shouldn't be long before you find something... Macrosystem is one of those companies that came with some very interesting products at some time in the past. But mostly in the A/V department :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
/....Question from Kin & on behalf of rkauer....

So if you have an 040 based Atari Falcon, does that make it crash faster? :twisted:

Kin

pp rkauer

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Kinni

psssst, kinie..... this is an A1200 accelerator card ;)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@JuvUK

thanks for the linky and contact email, i'll send off an email to them now (y)

Zetr0

sorry m8, thanks for your help.

I shall try to see what I can find =) *fingers, toes & legs crossed* and not just because I have to pee either

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
/....moonwalk this one kin.... :roll:

@Kinni

psssst, kinie..... this is an A1200 accelerator card ;)

Serves me right for trawling Atari stuff prior to reading this Falcon 040 A1200 CPU card! :oops:
At least you know it wasn't a "sloshed retort" at this time of the day. :LOL:
Totally off topic, but the question still stands....

Would an 040 based Atari Falcon crash faster than an 030 based Falcon? :whistle:

Kin

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Off Topic here myself, but to answer Kinhell's question. An 040 processor of the same MHz speed is typically 2 times faster than an 030. Therefore, by simple logic, an 040 Atari Falcon would crash twice as fast as a same specced 030! :blink::D

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
As a response: no, due some bugs on the design the crash will be slower than with the original CPU.:ROTFLOL2:

@Kin::drinkin:

psodas

Country
Greece
Region
Athens
GURU MEDITATION
A Registered Trademark of Amiga. The same machine with a 68040 was like this:

GURU MEDITATION Help I need medication!!!

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:woot::woot::woot::jester::jester::jester:

Last edited:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
As a response: no, due some bugs on the design the crash will be slower than with the original CPU.:ROTFLOL2:

@Kin::drinkin:

:rofl3

@ Zetr0

Sorry for fux0ring your flow m8. Apologies. :|

& yeah, the more I look at this card, the more appealing it becomes. A very well laid out affair tbh. It looks a rather well balanced design than a 'handed' affair as most do.

Kin

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
I have found a bit of a review from an Amiga Shopper July '96 issue here, so here goes:

FALCON040REVIEW.jpg

It may not be much, but you get a better picture of the card there.. I'll keep looking though, so many magazines collected all these years...:)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Figuring I will update this thread as well as the one on eab!

Since there is so few pics on the Falcon 040 I took some pics of the card I have here =)

(click to enlarge) *Caution VERY large images

*a great looking card, dont ya think =)

*almost regal

*I wonder jumper 2 does (the one next to the SIMM port)

*I also wonder what Jumper 1, Header 1 and Header 2 are about as well.

*SCSI is alread there, I wonder if the additional module is a straight through 50pin unit with termination?

*Here she is loaded with a very large 128MB 60ns SIMM

*let me show you how THICK this card is, its a chunk!

*its like instaling a tank in your A1200, a VERY tight fit, infact its harder to get back out than it is to get in. Using a double sided SIMM the trapdoor cover wont fit.

Heres my cards revision

this card is no stranger to photo-shoots either, she has a little celebrity history of her own (more on that later)

I have tried again today to send an email about these images to Alex on amiga.resource.cx unfortunately I keep geting mail returned =(

(before you ask these mails DONT include the images lol, I like to give fair warning before I dump 6MB of images on someones inbox!!!)

does anyone know if amiga.resouce.cx are they still accepting submissions?

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
We're getting there.... :)

FALCON2.jpg

Still looking, mate!

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

Yet another one... this time an ad.

FALCON3.jpg

Still not much on the SCSI part..

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@salaxi54

I really appreciate you help!

over on this thread at eab, gulliver has confirmed that the original developers of the Falcon work for the German Based Macrosystem Gmbh.

Zetr0, back in the old Amiga days, when Macrosystem Gmbh was doing hardware stuff for Amigas, the actual hardware developers they had were both Hartmut Sprave and Jorg Sprave, I guess you should try to reach them when you call them.
By the way, Jorg Sprave was the current CEO of Macrosystem, when I last checked, like three months ago, and as an interesting note, I may add that he was the actual designer of the wonderfull non linear editor Vlab Motion.

Good luck with that phone call

I have tried a couple of emails, and no response, and this afternoon I kept getting disconnected after I tried the number from the macrosystem website

I took a wild stab at Jumper 2, and closed it... no change and no difference to anything that I could find - no SCSI or (other) board came up in the early boot menu.

I will get the probes out on JP2 later its quite likely its a plug for the FAN, but after looking at the following picture JP1 is the FAN power point

falcon040_1.jpg

(picture from BBoAH)

So I wonder what JP2 is all about!?!!?!?!?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Salaxi54

Ooooh ... so its SCSI II/III SMA controller eh?!

thats as quick as the CSMk2!!!

still dont understand how power computing thought that 16MB Ram stick was worth that much back in 1995/6

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Yup, according to the ad, it's fast! :) I'm still looking at it m8! Tons of mags.... :coffee: LOL

Just a bit of extra input..

FALCON4.jpg

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

Here's some different approach! Just look at the Typhoon, sold by Power Computing also. Now, if you look carefully, the board has the same connector at the top left corner, which obviously ends to the small pcb that is advertised as the SCSI adaptor. <- The word "adaptor" is where all the juice is at! :) That means that the NCR SCSI chip on the Typhoon was prolly a sibling to your Falcon NCR chip! Haven't found anything more interesting yet, but i haven't been through even half of my mags...

TYPHOONSCSI.jpg

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Very Interesing!!!

nice thought and idea indeed!!!

I can easily confirm thats the same SCSI controller, the adapter looks very passive indeed!

I wonder if by its connection it enables the SCSI device?

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Z, have a read here: http://www.filibeto.org/unix/hp-ux/lib/hardware/systems/openpa-print_1-0.pdf

I quote:

53C720
Used in​
• 735, 755 (​
ASP2)
• B132L, B160L
• C100, C110, C132L, C160L, C160, C180
• D-Class
• J200, J210, J210XC, J280, J282
• K-Class
• R380, R390
The NCR 53C720 was the secondary SCSI controller used in the early HP 9000s for the attachment
of an Fast-Wide (16-bit) SCSI-2 bus, utilizing HVD signalling. It was either controlled by the ASP2
chipset or interfaced to the GSC bus through a chip named Zalon.

Features​
• one Fast-Wide SCSI channel
• chip support for SE and HVD transfer modes (in the HP 9000s only HVD logic is used)
• synchronous SCSI transfer rate of 20MB/s
• asynchronous SCSI transfer rate of 10MB/s
• 64-Byte DMA FIFO​
• 16- or 32-bit bus master DMA device
• attaches to host bus interface, can either be Motorola 68030 (bus up to 25MHz async) or 68040
(bus up to 33MHz sync) or Intel 80386SX or 80386DX compatible
• support both big or little endian
• sustained host bus bandwitdh of more than 100MB/s​
• 208-pin QFP package

Of course there's variants of it... Haven't traced an "exclusive" datasheet on this baby, and NCR's site won't show me anything interesting...

Top Bottom