Final ever "original" Top Gear aired tonight on BBC2.. a bitter sweet episode.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Having just watched the final ever Top Gear, bring together all of the footage from the final 3 episodes of the final season, which were never originally aired, I now feel very sad.

It was on form and really funny. A fine example of the Top Gear 3 at their most amusing.

The biggest thing it highlighted for me was in the studio where just Hammond and May introduced each section. It just felt flat and uninteresting without Clarkson there to act as the comic foil. Clarkson in the actual adventures really did show how much his personality made the show what it was.

I just don't see how Top Gear will be Top Gear with Chris Evans hosting. It will be a different format, that much is certain, and therefore won't have the epic adventures and tom foolery classic Top Gear is know and expected to contain. It's going to be boring. And as much as Evans is passionate about his cars, he isn't a motoring journalist, which you have to remember Clarkson and the others were for a very long time. They knew cars inside out. Evans knows as much as most arm chair enthusiasts watching the show do. Not much more.

And I just hope for everyone's sack that Suzi Perry really isn't going to be joining him. She's not getting any younger, but still thinks she is by the 20 year old's clothes she shoe horns herself into for the BBC F1 shows, and you know if she gets on the show it will become multiformat with bikes featured. Something Top Gear has always avoided, because they know car fans are not bike fans and get bored quickly by them.. and I expect vice versa is true.

Lets just hope Jeremy, James and Richard really are developing their own rival show and can continue their brilliant antics under a new banner. If they manage it I can see the BBC losing another subject from their itinerary pretty quickly.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
They will obviously make another show they've already hinted that it's happening. Top Gear without them will last one 6 episode series and be binned due to lack of viewers. Top Gear was originally binned for a reason and only came back because of Clarkson, with him gone it will go back to the bin just as quick. The new Stig may as well out himself now and make a few quid while he can lol

Moggsie

I regret nothing
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Country
UK
Region
South
Agree with you both. Real feeling of loss at the end of that episode.

One thing I've noticed, talking to mates and work colleagues, is just how unpopular Chris Evans actually seems to be. Myself, I don't have any problem with him but it seems lots of people do and have no interest in watching Top Gear when it comes back since it'll have that "ginger t**t" presenting it. It certainly seems to me that new TG will be very PC and right-on which is totally counter to what I personally loved about Clarkson, Hammond and May (sticking your middle finger up to the cry babies and dealing with it later) so I cannot see it lasting very long.

ElectroBlaster

Country
Exeter, Devon
I watched it with my Son. He grew up knowing my love for Top Gear and has always loved the show.

Today happens to be my birthday and for whatever reason the BBC decided to air the final episode on this day. It was painful to watch the studio bits! Harrison is correct, it was flat and you knew something was not right at all. The lack of an audience also added on top of this. The rest of it was a right laugh lol.

Well I for one cannot wait for the new show over on ITV1 if it really does go ahead. I will not like the advert breaks mind :(

Chris Evans just wont be able to fill Clarksons boots, he will make a good stab at it but... it will end up like any other car show. Suzi Perry! it will be worse if she is in on it somewhere.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I just hope it is ITV or Sky, and not Netflix or Amazon Prime, because I'm not subscribing to another service just to watch one show.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
lol Harrison that's what EZTV is for.

I watched last night. I enjoyed the films :)

For the Top gear fans there's always Dave...

edd_jedi

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
Also enjoyed it, was one of the better episodes in recent years. It's funny how the rose-tinted specs come out as soon as the show changes, people have been saying how boring, formulaic and staged TG has been for years, and on the whole I agree. In the last 5 years it's only really been the specials and the odd episode that have been funny, I usually enjoy the Dave re-runs more than new episodes.

It's sad for sure but nothing lasts forever, give the new guys a chance.

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
BBC should've gotten Atkinson, Gambon and Fry onboard. That way they might've got a fighting chance with Top Gear. :LOL:

Looking forward to see what Clarkson, May and Hammond come up with.

motrucker

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Annapolis, Maryland
BBC should've gotten Atkinson, Gambon and Fry onboard. That way they might've got a fighting chance with Top Gear. :LOL:

Looking forward to see what Clarkson, May and Hammond come up with.

This show just popped up in a thread over here at Lemon 64:
http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57100
I didn't realize it was ending. They never tell us anything here in the 'States....

Last edited:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Keep and eye on Netflix and Amazon Prime. They might be coming to one of those because Clarkson's BBC contract prohibited him from creating a rival car program on one of the UKs other TV networks, so they will have to go internet streaming until 2017.

Top Bottom