Finally setting up my BPPC system, having some problems

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Hi
I've finally found the time to start & setup my BPPC+BVISION system, but (as expected) I've run into a few problems, both HW & SW.

I'll start with SW, as its more pressing at the moment.
My goal is to first get a stable OS3.9 AGA060 system running, then add the RTG & PPC stuff (CGX4, WarpUP, Warp3D).

This is my current setup:
Desktop A1200 rev 2B (my rev 1D4 doesnt like the BPPC at all, even after a timing fix) with KS3.0, 9.4GB HDD, BPPC w/128MB ram, BVISION.
Its driven by a 250W ATX power supply.

My first test was to use an HDD with CWB3.0 on it, with added 68040/060 libs.
This setup didnt boot (GURU), I had to disable SetPatch to make it boot.
It ran fine, but each time I've ran a demo using WHDLoad, I got a red screen after soft reboot.
A few days ago I prepared an HDD with CWB3.9 on it, with BB1,2,3 and using BlizKick to kick KS3.1 & the modules required by BB3 & a few from the BB2 ROM update.
This is currently the beginning of my Startup-Sequence:

c:BlizKick KICKFILE devs:rom_v45.57 EXTRESBUF=500000 MODULE exec.library bootmenu L:FastFileSystem L:RAM-Handler console.device L:Shell-Seg DEVS:scsi.device LIBS:icon.library LIBS:workbench.library
c:SetPatch NOROMUPDATE QUIET

I had to use EXTRESBUF of 500000, any lower value & BlizKick cried about not having enough memory to load workbench.library.
Anyway, the system boots now, but just before WB loads there's a requester with "Intuition is trying to close..." (It disappears so quickly I wasnt able to read it all!).
After that WB loads ok & seems fine, I was able to run a few 060 demos without issues.

The problem is soft-reboots, I get a red screen & flashing power led (endless reboot loop?) each & every time, so my only option is to turn off the machine.
I really dont know where to start debugging this, any help would be greatly appreciated! :bowdown:

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
Are you sure that you can run AOS3.9 witk KS3.0 (even with Blizzkick)?
I was forced to replace KS3.0 to KS3.1 to be able to install AOS3.9
It's written in the AOS3.9 documentation.

So what I would suggest you is to set-up AOS3.1 for the beginning on HDD with 4GB max.

Please use Amiga SYS 4 AGA:
http://amigasys.ultimateamiga.co.uk/index.html

Please read faq first; installation procedure is easy and well described.

And to be honest I have 1D4 mobo and it's very stable - tested with about 30 (thirty) different turbo boards: Apollo 1240 Apollo 1260, Blizzard 1240, Blizzard 1260 with SCSI KIT, Blizzard PPC 040/060/PPC 160-360MHz with SCSI or without SCSI, BVision's.

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Hi

OS3.9 runs perfectly fine, until the first soft-reboot :)
If I dont soft-kick 3.1 it wont run, so its a must until I get my hands on KS3.1.
As for my 1D4, I dont really know what to say, it just doesnt work with the BPPC at all, its not even detected (it runs fine with my GVP1230 though) :(

The 2B runs fine & stable with it, so far.
The only thing that really scares me is the insane level of heat this thing generates.
I've drilled holes in the expansion bay cover & put a heatsink + fan on the BVision, but its still incredibly hot.
Even the RAM module heats up considerably.

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
Well, if I was you I would start to fight with overheating first.
BVision is a VERY hot beast and it requires active cooling; heatsink temperature should be below 70 Celsius degrees.
Please try to open A1200 case and run your Amiga.
Hope that your card is not overclocked 060@50MHz/PPC@nominal speed.

You can also try to run without BVision to eliminate potential source of problems.

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
The BPPC isn't overclocked, I've put a several heatsinks on the BVision & there's a fan right above it (I'll upload pictures when I get home later).
Most of the heat is coming from the bottom, generated by the BPPC itself.
I'm probably going to add a slim fan at the bottom at some point, for now I've drilled lots of holes in the expansion-bay cover & raised the case by about 1cm.

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Anyone have any ideas about the red screen after warm-reboot?

I assume the ROM gets corrupted somehow, but how can I verify thats the case?
Infact, how can I verify that BlizKick loads all modules successfully?
Is the order of modules important?

Do I need to change anything in the BPPC settings? disable MAPROM maybe?

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
Have you tried on AOS3.1 or AOS3.9?
Maybe (I don't know for sure) you have to have KS3.1 on your mobo to play with AOS3.9.
I'm just using KS3.1 only.

Please try on AOS3.1 and KS3.0

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Hi

Will try WB3.0 tonight & see if the problem remains.
Thanks for the suggestions! :)

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Hi

I'm trying to install CWB3.0 now, but cant get it to boot on the 060 unless I disable the call to SetPatch.
Which SetPatch version do I need to use?
CWB has 43.6 installed.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Update:

I'm able to boot into CWB3.0 only by using the boot-menu & selecting "safe startup".
Not going through the menu results in a SetPatch crash, followed by a red-screen.

Even in "safe" boot, warm-reboot ends with a red screen, just like with OS3.9 :(

Just now I was able to eliminate the red-screen by disabling "map rom" in the BPPC's boot menu.
With it disabled, the warm-reboot problem is no more (SetPatch still crashes) but this means I cant patch the ROM at all!
No map-rom with BlizKick still results in a red-screen :(

I hope someone can come up with a solution, otherwise I'll have to let the BPPC go, its not worth this much trouble :(

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen

I can tell you that I get (got) the same problem with My A1200 1d4, this one is (was) running AmigaSYS AGA 1200, Blizzard 1230 MKIII, and a CF card as IDE drive.
thats it.

I read somewhere that it was the chipmem that caused the red screen so I made a memtest, which filled the screen with errors. So I'm in the middle of the process of replacing the chipmem (read my post with "A1200 Faulty mem" i think it's called).
Now I just got a new motherboard from Hikey and dog d@mn that one also fills the screen with errors.. which made me suggest to throw that mem test prog far far away.. anyway, I've had some fun removing 10 mem chips now ;-)

My A1200 was at it's worst when I had it softkicked to 3.1 (but even with the 3.0 only it made the red-screen) I could get suspicious to a new driver, library or whatever that doesn't work well with the 3.0 Roms, and require the real 3.1 roms somehow.

if you have the patience and only wait for your 3.1 roms to arrive, I'll give you some more status from my 1d4 board (I'm desperately looking for sockets so I later easily can replace the chip rams, thus also test the ones I've desoldered from an old gfx card)

to sum up.. you are not alone with the red screen on the 1d4 board ;-)
and don't get give up on the BPPC yet please

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
i had this error on my A4K for a while it turned out to be the PSU for me:eek:

I can tell you that I get (got) the same problem with My A1200 1d4, this one is (was) running AmigaSYS AGA 1200, Blizzard 1230 MKIII, and a CF card as IDE drive.
thats it.

I read somewhere that it was the chipmem that caused the red screen so I made a memtest, which filled the screen with errors. So I'm in the middle of the process of replacing the chipmem (read my post with "A1200 Faulty mem" i think it's called).
Now I just got a new motherboard from Hikey and dog d@mn that one also fills the screen with errors.. which made me suggest to throw that mem test prog far far away.. anyway, I've had some fun removing 10 mem chips now ;-)

My A1200 was at it's worst when I had it softkicked to 3.1 (but even with the 3.0 only it made the red-screen) I could get suspicious to a new driver, library or whatever that doesn't work well with the 3.0 Roms, and require the real 3.1 roms somehow.

if you have the patience and only wait for your 3.1 roms to arrive, I'll give you some more status from my 1d4 board (I'm desperately looking for sockets so I later easily can replace the chip rams, thus also test the ones I've desoldered from an old gfx card)

to sum up.. you are not alone with the red screen on the 1d4 board ;-)

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
i had this error on my A4K for a while it turned out to be the PSU for me:eek:

I understand better why you want an A600 then :banme:

where were you saying that 3 weeks ago ?? hehe

I think I did try a more powerful PSU.. but now I'm in doubt..
I can see it a big problem if UberFreak is using a regular PSU instead of a rebuilt one.

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Update!

After seeing how the red-screen problem went away with no rom kicking/patching of any kind, it dawned on me this might be a fast-ram problem, and indeed it is! :)

I'm currently using my BPPC's angled socket, since thats the only one I can fit a SIM into & close the case (using the horizontal socket interferes with the keyboard).

I took the 128MB SIMM & moved it to the horizontal socket, and the red-screen problem went away completely!
I dont have another SIMM that fits in the angled one, so I cant verify if its my SIMM's fault or the BPPC having a problem with the angled socket.

In any case, I'll need to find a slim single-sided 128MB SIMM (if there is such a thing) so I can use it AND put the keyboard in its place.

Going to roam around the house looking for more SIMMs, maybe I have a spare somewhere.

What a relief... :LOL:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
good work, i'm pleased for you m8(y)

Update!

After seeing how the red-screen problem went away with no rom kicking/patching of any kind, it dawned on me this might be a fast-ram problem, and indeed it is! :)

I'm currently using my BPPC's angled socket, since thats the only one I can fit a SIM into & close the case (using the horizontal socket interferes with the keyboard).

I took the 128MB SIMM & moved it to the horizontal socket, and the red-screen problem went away completely!
I dont have another SIMM that fits in the angled one, so I cant verify if its my SIMM's fault or the BPPC having a problem with the angled socket.

In any case, I'll need to find a slim single-sided 128MB SIMM (if there is such a thing) so I can use it AND put the keyboard in its place.

Going to roam around the house looking for more SIMMs, maybe I have a spare somewhere.

What a relief... :LOL:

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
lol, we'll see what happens to the A600 before i make any comments :p

It'll be your favorite Amiga of them all :LOL:

@UberFreak.

nicely done ;-)
I had the same problem with some 64Meg modules I recently bought, the problem with those are the mem-chips are long and touch the plastic before the module can be attached properly. what I did was use a 32meg module in the angled slot on my BPPC board (I now have 96Megs of mem, which is more than enough I'd say unless I install OS 4.0.

just fyi, my 64 meg module didn't fit at all, it couldn't even close and was missing ~2 mm to sit properly in the socket.

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
I found a 32MB SIMM & tried it in the angled socket, the red-screen of doom is back.

Looks like my 128MB SIMM is fine, its a problem with the BPPC :(

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
it could also be the connector socket..

if you have a glassfiber brush, you could try and do some brushing on the pins.. next best thing but problematic would be those red rough rubbers (like pencil/rubber) though it might be difficult to use properly.
Also try isopropylic alchohol on a cottonstick, Gin or Vodka can be used as an alternative (in the lack of better), but isopropylic alchol can not be used as an alternative to Gin or Vodka.

also.. if that doesn't help, or to save time before you go and buy supplies, try to see visually if the PCB is intact, and no wires on the pcb are broken, all the legs on the IC's are intact and soldered to the PCB (PCB = print circuit board).

I find it hard to believe it's the address controller though I never say never and you could be unlucky if thats the case (it's fixable if a replacement controller can be found).

Top Bottom