Fitbit - Anyone own one?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I've been a bit against buying a smart watch as I didn't see much point when you had to have your phone with you anyway, and it is easier to do the same tasks on the phone.

And I also didn't see much point in the sport/fitness bands unless you are a sports person or training for something, but a lot of our friends have suddenly started to use Fitbit's to count their daily steps and started to do group challenges to beat each other each day. My wife went out for a meal with them all and came back wanting one, and managed to order a second-hand Fitbit Charge on ebay for half the retail price. It arrived but she didn't like it in black so gave it to me.

I reluctantly started to play around with it, and it sort of is addictive to increase your step count, plus the Charge also counts other things like flights of stairs climbed, calories burnt and total distance travelled. It is also made more addictive when paired with the smartphone app. It shows all the data synced via bluetooth, plus it awards you badges for hitting certain milestones (such as 10 stairs climbed). It also shows incoming caller ID on the little display when someone rings your mobile, which might actually be useful for me at work.

Finally the app also has a food tracker and will show if you are burning enough calories for the food consumed that day. The handy built in barcode scanner recognises a lot of wrappers and auto enters the food entry, but it also didn't recognise a few when I tried and it was tedious manually adding them. Could be good if following a calorie controlled diet, but I would probably prefer to use the Weight Watchers point system if I were that series to enter food details, so it's not that useful a feature IMO.

Anyway, I'm going to give it a try for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. It is useful as a lightweight watch too as it shows time and date, but annoyingly you have to activate the display using the side button or double tap the device each time you want to know the time.

Anyone else use these?

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
the wife,,

even sleeps with it, scary how much info it gathers on her sleep pattern and heart rate.

Matt3o

Country
Italy
Region
Florence
I tried one a couple of months ago. Now it's somewhere unused (if you want one additional unit just let me know).

I don't like that the data is held by fitbit and if you want to export it in any way you have to pay an yearly subscription. You can of course access your stats on the website and for free, but there's no way to interact with it in any way they don't want you to. I hate this kind of attitude.

Also the model I have needs an USB dongle to connect to any PC while it connects flawlessly to smartphones.

Technically speaking it is nothing special, the step count is very approximate but I guess it's okay. I tried to join some groups and make some competions with friends, but at the end the one who lives the farthest from the work station always wins :) Unless you are a fitness maniac of course and do a lot of running/jogging.

So at the end I find it technologically not-interesting and I don't really find myself doing more exercise.

Also the diet/calories thing is very US-centric (UK too maybe? I dunno) and almost impossible to use for anyone else unless you want to manually input the calories for everything you eat.

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
the wife wants to get me one! so we could kinda compete with each other,,, i think it will just show how easier my job is to hers :D (physically)

Last edited:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I also found having to use the provided dongle annoying too for PC syncing. It's only bluetooth after all and my main PC has that built into the motherboard, as does our laptop, but you do still need the dongle.

What Fitbit do you have? If it's the Charge or better than I might be interested for my wife. What colour is it? And how much would you want? PM me.

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
The wife has one its definitely hand when phoning her at work as the mobile has to be on silent and the fitbit vibrates to alert incoming call :)

Last edited:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
The FitBit can really help if you are doing challenges with friends. Using it alone, like I do with mine, provides a good amount of information but there's nothing compelling me to try to do more day after day. I like the sleep tracking even though it is quite limited in the FitBit One that I have. I've also notice that the stair tracking doesn't work very well. Maybe it's because I tend to go up and down stairs fast instead of an average pace.

I tend to forget to wear mine once in a while or the battery dies. I wear it when I remember it and enjoy the little additional information it gives.

Heather

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I must admit I did get a bit addicted to this today only because there are quite a few friends with one and they all set a challenge for the day to hit 10K steps. Plus you get awarded badges for reaching certain milestones.

Lets just say I beat everyone with 157% of the daily target achieved! YYEEEEESSSSS! (think Clarkson voice).

And I also gained an Urban Boot badge for 15K steps in one day, and a Lighthouse badge for assending 50 flights of stairs (don't ask! :LOL:)

I don't now how long it will remain interesting. Maybe a couple of weeks at most. A lot of the badges are less attainable as it all resets daily, so to get 20K steps in a day is pushing it, and 75 flights of stairs is quite a few to achieve. :LOL:

But if I just keep wearing it every day it will build up the total step count and I will start to earn distance badges in the form of countries walked to, so that is something.

Top Bottom