Floppy cleaning disk

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Can I still get read of nasty read errors, if I give my A4000D floppy drive a cleaning disk treatment?

Two of my original OS3.1 disks are suffering from read errors - and my backups too. :(

What about formatting and a clean image from adf?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I've had to run a cleaning disk through my drives a few times, and thats solved some problems although it could be your disks that are the problem, you can try writing the ADF back to the disk a few times and see if that restores them (y)

TSGUI is supposed to be good, I've been using EasyADF but it seems to fail in bad disks... I need to try that TSGUI on my 3.1/2.05 install disks as they have read errors...

Steve.

d0pefish

Country
England
Region
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
I gave my 4000D drive a full service as it was having all sorts of problems.

I carefully disassembled the entire mechanism and removed just about all the moving parts out of the drive.

I then got some isopropyl alcohol on some cue-tips and carefully wiped the heads until they were completely clean. All the moving parts were cleaned and re-oiled with sewing machine oil.

The last problem was a faulty switch, the one with two switches that detect disk presence and density. The contact was very poor, and the vibration of the motor made it erratic. The Amiga ended up seeing it as the disk being ejected and reinserted about 10 times a second ;)

So, I desoldered the microswitch pair, and disassembled it (insanely tiny parts with springs too (be VERY f**king careful you don't lose any bits if you attempt this). The contacts were tarnished, so some contact cleaner and surface purifier brightened them and restored conductivity. I also adjusted the springy fingers to put more pressure on the contact pads as they had weakened over time.

Having reassembled the switches, they were resoldered to the drive, and now it's like a brand new drive. Not a single read error or faulty sense signal since, both HD and DD disks. (y)

If anyone would like me to service their floppy drive in the same way, I'd be happy to help.

Top Bottom