Format and Re'install WB3.1

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Rotherham' South Yorkshire.
First of all thanx to everyone who has helped me the last few day with all my amiga problems :)

Now lets get to it! My 1200 has an external HDD with workbench 3.0 installed on it but im wanting to format it and re'install WB3.1' As im new to amigas with hard drives i have no idea what im doin lol Im used to my old 500 and floppy disks....

In simple terms! What do i do????
Do i format it from within workbench???
Do i boot from workbench (floppy) ???

Cheers guys...

--------------------------------------------
Sometime i dont know how people put up with me :blink:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
To put it simple: (the way I do it)

Use hdtoolbox from the install disk to partition the amiga, if it is a brand new hard disk you first need to read it's config, save it, autopartition 50/50% and save and reboot and then format it out of workbench.

Then install workbench..

If it's a large drive some other advice will be needed..

have fun(y)

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Its a pcmcia external hard drive (overdrive) iv got a picture of it on my profile page....

Ok iv booted up with the WB3.1 floppy' iv put in the install disk gone to HDTools / HDToolbox but its not sayin there is a hard drive there nothing there! :(

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I don't understand why you use an external hd, since the laptop drives are easy to find second hand and rather cheap to:) Only a cable plus an ide laptop drive will make you happy..

But I never had such a unit in my gone smallboxes

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/overdrivehd

The manual is in german, there is a disk file overthere, it clearly states the disk will do the stuff for you! (exept the formatting) So you'll only need to write the disk to a real flop..

3.1 - Vorbereitung der Festplatte
Stecken Sie Ihre AmiQuest/Overdrive Festplatte am PCMCIA an und legen Sie die
AQInstall Diskette im Laufwerk ein, erst dann schalten Sie Ihren Amiga ein.
A1200:
Rufen Sie “A1200Setup” directory auf in der Sprache Ihrer Wahl. Folgen Sie den
Instruktionen wie am Bildschirm angezeigt. Auf der Festplatte werden 2 formatierte
Standard Partitions erzeugt, AQ0: Workbench und AQ1: Work.
Anmerkung : Falls Sie mit den oben beschriebenen Standard Partitions nicht arbeiten
wollen, können Sie diese manuell über das Programm “AQToolBox” im “AQTools”
directory ändern und auch neu benennen.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Are your amigas ROMS v3.1 too? If not you´ll need to find a legal source for new ROMS, like NOS (new old stock) chips from AmigaKit, or files from the AmigaForever distribution to softkick.

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Its just an external hard drive i got with this 1200' Im used to usin my 500plus with floppy disks lol.... Cheers for the link if i bugger everthing up ill just buy a internal HDD off ebay... Thanx dude for your help :)

Will you keep an eye on this thread pls' i might need your help again :bowdown:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I think this will take some more advanced power user popping up, I don't know maybe you need the tooltype information to something else? It say's normally scsi.xxxx the advice I've got on here, and noticed several times is that all the expansions use another tooltype to set in the information option of hdtoolbox. The expansion is almost electronic empty what I read from google, I can't find the right tooltype..(n)

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
No i think its 3.00 ...

It says kickstart version 39.106
workbench version 34 20....

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
If you are going to source an internal one, the manual of yours states it works together, so you don't need to format it yet, keep it going..

If you wan't an internal hd I'll quote 12.50 including shipping, without cable, long time to deliver, I'll preformat the Workbench partition at 499 megs.

It will be a 40 GB drive..

Don't give up on youre external unit yet, quite sure someone knows on here how to get it going.(y)

Phil1978

AmiBayer
Country
UK.
Region
Thanx for the offer i might take you up on that :)
Iv been looking on ebay at some internal HDD's 40gig one they come with 2200 games installed.

Would have been nice to give my hard drive a fresh copy of workbench tho... :(

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
If you source it pre-installed with all the games have a quick go on it!

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
This is going to sound bizarre, but the PCMCIA drive will most likely be seen as a SCSI device, even though it's probably not.

Translation from German:-

3.1 Preparing the Hard Disk

Switch your AmiQuest / Overdrive PCMCIA hard disk on and put the AQInstall disk in the drive, until you switch on your Amiga.

A1200:
Go to the "A1200Setup" directory in the language of your choice. Follow the Instructions as displayed on the screen. On the hard drive create two formatted standard partitions, AQ0: Workbench and AQ1: Work.

Note: If you don't wish to use the above-described standard partition setup, you can change and rename them manually via the program "AQTools" in the "AQToolBox" directory.

Hope that this helps.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
@Merlin, not bizzare at all, like the way compact flash and ide is related... I can't figure why It does not show up then? Or maybe his tooltype is configured for another expansion...

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
I'd just like to add, splitting the hard drive into 2 equal partitions is not necessarily the best way to do it.

It all depends how much Fast Ram you have in your A1200. The more partitions you have, the more ram will be depleted before you even see the desktop. ;)

Kin

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ jvdbossc

Maybe if he could locate a copy of the old HDPrep utility he may get more joy in seeing the drive. You are probably right in that it's related to scsi.device in the startup files. It's probably there on the AmiQuest floppy but the Workbench floppy won't have it.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I've got an Overdrive HDD that I originally used on my A1200 years ago.

The tools for the drive are stored on the PCMCIA part of the actual drive. If you boot your A1200 from a Workbench floppy you should see an icon on the desktop for the PCMCIA flash drive part of the OverdriveHD. Inside of here are some tools you can use to format and partition the drive.

If you need the actual manual for the overdrive, let me know and I will scan you a copy.

The Overdrive is a standard IDE HDD, but it is proprietary and I don't think it will show up in standard partitioning software.

As for actually installing Workbench. No one seems to of actually answered this for you. The simple method is to format the partitioned HDD by booting from a workbench floppy, selecting the NDOS??? icons for the newly created partitions and quick formatting them. And then manually copy the contents of all of the Workbench floppy disks into the HDD partition. And that is it. Simple.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
I've got an Overdrive HDD that I originally used on my A1200 years ago.

The tools for the drive are stored on the PCMCIA part of the actual drive. If you boot your A1200 from a Workbench floppy you should see an icon on the desktop for the PCMCIA flash drive part of the OverdriveHD. Inside of here are some tools you can use to format and partition the drive.

If you need the actual manual for the overdrive, let me know and I will scan you a copy.

The Overdrive is a standard IDE HDD, but it is proprietary and I don't think it will show up in standard partitioning software.

As for actually installing Workbench. No one seems to of actually answered this for you. The simple method is to format the partitioned HDD by booting from a workbench floppy, selecting the NDOS??? icons for the newly created partitions and quick formatting them. And then manually copy the contents of all of the Workbench floppy disks into the HDD partition. And that is it. Simple.

:what:

@ Phil1978

Once the drive is partitioned using the Install dsk, reboot with the Install disk & format the new partitions. Then, just run the install script on the install disk & insert the correct WB disks when prompted.

Manually copying the files is harder to do, because all the important directories are actually hidden from view by default.

@ Harrison

For someone new to this, your method will confuse the pants off them.

Kin

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
No i think its 3.00 ...

It says kickstart version 39.106
workbench version 34 20....

Yes, version 39.106 is a 3.0 ROM

To my knowledge Workbench 3.1 requires 3.1 ROMs.

That means that your A1200 kickstart should say "Kickstart version 40.68"

Have you obtained this kickstart yet?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
One issue though; unless an A1200 came with an HDD when new, the Workbench set will be missing the Install disk.

I agree, that with no experience, a manual copy might be a bit confusing. I created a short tutorial for manual installation using the CLI, and was going to amend my post above with a link to it when I have chance to dig it up.

It's not that complicated though, as all the Install script is doing is copying everything from every disk into exactly the same structure on the HDD.

Why can't other OS's be this simple? Imagine if you could just copy Windows from the install CD to the HDD and it worked! I think half of us would fall over dead if that was ever possible!

Top Bottom