Paulcan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
U.K
Region
Essex
Hello people,
Been a member on English Amiga Board + many other retro forums (inc Arcade stuff i.e jamma+ etc... own 10 machines now)
Big thanks to Zetr0 for making me join here also, as title says I'm after a SCSI drive for GVP A500 HD8+ series II.
I would like one to be a direct fit and approx 1-2gig (50 pin isn't it?) need to keep it simple as the Amiga 500 I had in 1990 ish didn't have one of these babies and I'm trying to understand it all.
I have 8mb Ram coming for it also, but for now want a bigger drive than the 60 odd mb, around 1-2 gig is fine.
Please can anyone help me?
I have two A500's a A500 1.3 and a A500+ 2.X just for a while would like to keep them this way until I get used to what I'm doing, then will upgrade the kickrom and put a bigger drive in.

My ebay feedback username: paulcan2
Jamma+ username: paulcan69

Many thanks, and hoping to speak to more of you soon,
Paul

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Re: GVP A500 HD8+ series II SCSI Drive

I have a Quantum 1Gb SCSI hard drive here if you're interested?
Depending on where you are in the World, would depend if I am willing to ship it. :wink:

Kin

Paulcan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
U.K
Region
Essex

That would be great, pefect!
:thanks:
I live in Essex UK, PM with what you want for it, I shall cross your palm with gold.
Thanks for the reply, can do pay pal or whatever you want.

Zetro did say that you would be the man who could probably help me, I have loads of ide drives alll over the house all different sizes, just I'm after plug and play if you know what I mean until I understand more about it.
Thanks again
Paul.

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

I'll get back to you Sunday hopefully. I have another SCSI issue I am working on atm & will check out a drive for you as soon as I can.

As a matter of interest, what version of ROM is fitted to your HD8?

Cheers for now,

Kin

Paulcan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
U.K
Region
Essex

No worries thank you for your help.

I have no idea which rom it has, :help: I can take it apart or which prog do I need to find out, I know it has the green rev 3 motherboard in it, instead of the orange rev 6 if that helps?

Thanks

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

Paul

Once Workbench has booted from your HD+8, open a shell window & type the following, (note case sensitive !!)

version gvpscsi.device

and the ROM version will be reported, Last final official release was V4.15, If your ROM need's updating (highly recomended) then I'm sure we can sort something out.

TC 8)

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Thanks TC

@ Paul

Drive is tested & fully functional. No bad blocks. See PM.

Kin

Paulcan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
U.K
Region
Essex

Thanks guys,
Just checked version and it's 4.13 (is it worth doing an upgrade? any thing changed which I may miss?)

TheCorfiot said:
Paul

Once Workbench has booted from your HD+8, open a shell window & type the following, (note case sensitive !!)

version gvpscsi.device

and the ROM version will be reported, Last final official release was V4.15, If your ROM need's updating (highly recomended) then I'm sure we can sort something out.

TC 8)

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@Paul

Unless you wish to use external ZIP SCSI Drives 4.13 will be fine mate...

TC :)

Paulcan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
U.K
Region
Essex

Sorted drive on the way, thanks all
Please close thread

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

Paulcan,

Did you reach a deal with Kin for a drive? If so, we like to keep the thread open until you've received the drive and say it is OK. If you found a drive outside thread, we will close it right away. Please let me know which you did.

Thanks!

Heather

Paulcan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
U.K
Region
Essex

Hi all,
Just got a 1 gig scsi drive for my A500-HD8+ from Kin Hell

He had 3.* on it with X partitions (not sure, but still on there)

Anyway I want to completely wipe it as I can only use 2.1 on my A500+ with this hard drive (until I buy a new rom later)

How on earth can I do a full wipe and install.

Tools I have:-
Workbench 2.1 all disks
A copy of ClassicWb Green alien version (but on my pc as a 16mb file)
A GVP A500 install disk (from the net but in a ADF)
A null modem cable
Amiga Explorer on a floppy + pc next to amiga (so can make any floppy from the net or transfer any files)

Trouble is if I keep the autoboot switch on the front of the hard drive it will load nothing just a blank white screen.
If I turn it to game (so I can actually boot from a disk i.e workbench) when workbench loads it cannot see the drive so any tools I throw at it (like the gvp ones cannot see the hard drive)
So I cannot do an install or a format, even if I turn it to autoboot when workbench is loaded and go to reset WB the drive still isn't visable.

Does this sound like the drive is faulty, I don't think so as Kin Hell said he tested it on his and it booted fine (but he had 3.* on his so it would?!?)

Please help with any ideas you have, I have never formatted or partitioned anything Amiga, only pc stuff over the years.

Any trick I can do to make it easy like drag some ready made files from my pc to the Amiga or is that impossible because the pc cannot see the HD0: or what size it is??

Any good easy adf file I can download and make a floppy of with piece of pi*s tools to partition wipe/format that even I could use?

Thanks in advance also for your time.
Ta
Paul.

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Paul,

4.13 ROM Version on your GVP HD8 should be fine.

I'm not familiar with the GVP A500 interfaces, but I know the HC8 had issues in the A4000, unless a later revision of ROM Chip was fitted to the card. I wonder if the Version 3 has issues, hence the version 6? :?

RE getting to install Workbench, make a copy of your WB2.1 Install Floppy. On the copied Disk, rename it accordingly & right click the HDToolbox Icon. In the relevant field, change scsi.device to gvpscsi.device. Be sure to save.
When you run the HDToolbox from this floppy, you should now be able to see the drive. Select 'change Drive Type' to set your drive up & then partition it. Turn advanced Partition Options on & make sure you make your first boot partition bootable. Once the changes are made, reboot with WB2.1 Install or Workbench Floppy, Format the partitions and then install Workbench.

Hope this helps, (y)

Kin

Paulcan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
U.K
Region
Essex

Hello mate thanks for your reply, done up to this point:-

"right click the HDToolbox Icon. In the relevant field, change scsi.device to gvpscsi.device. Be sure to save."

(and I think your advice will fix it)

Just sorry... right click where?

If I highlight the hdtoolbox I only have the normal workbench options at the top of the screen
If I run the hdtoolbox prog all I have is resize hd setup window at the top menu everything else is grey'd out.
It just says driver not installed.

So my question is where do I change the said options/text from scsi.device to gvpscsi.device ???
Thanks Kin.

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Left Click or right Click the HDToolbox Icon once only & select Information from the Workbench Title Bar menu.
I'm sure WB2.1 supports this. :|
You should see a field box somewhere with scsi.device as one of the entries. Change it to gvpscsi.device & save it. Then run HDToolbox.

Kin

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@Paul

Ensure you have copied the gvpscsi.device file to the expansion drawer of your bootable Floppy..

OR

Using ADFBlitzer (Aminet) Create a GVP Bootable floppy from your adf file...
Then Boot with that floppy & ensure you issue the Binddrivers command from the menu to activate the gvpscsi.device which will then allow you to access the HD..

It is doable, just a bit of a learning curve...

TC :D

Paulcan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
U.K
Region
Essex

Ok I'll try that.
My gvp disk is bootable but will only auto start fastprep.
Trouble is it won't see the drive.
To boot any floppy I HAVE to have the hard drive switch into the game position.
?
Some people are saying that isn't right as it still should boot from a floppy even if the drive isn't bootable?

But ok whcih "gvp.device" file from where do I need to copy onto what?
Onto the workbench install disk?
Sorry I'm slow at this LOL
:thanks:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Just modify slightly the floppy: locate the gvpscsi.device icon and toss it into the expansion drawer.

Also edit the startup-sequence to call binddrivers after setpatch. Remember to do the same on the System partition of the HD where you install the Workbench (necessary only in pre-2.1 Workbench).

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@Paul

With the switch in autoboot mode the system will NOT display the purple insert floppy screen even if you have no HD physically connected...It will keep looking for a bootable HD.

also with the switch in "Game" mode "gvpscsi.device" in not loaded into memory from the ROM, it is disabled.....

Now 2 points....

The driver "gvpscsi.device" is case sensitive, no other permutation of typing it will work.....

I have just used WinUAE and the HD8 install floppy & can confirm that the gvpscsi.device file IS in the expansion drawer... this is the file that would need to be installed in the expansion drawer of any bootable floppy disk in order for the partitions to be visible...

Please try this experiment... With your original HD installed, does the GVP floppy boot fine & see the HD with no problems.. If this is the case then the new SCSI HD defnitely needs terminating....

Google the Model number to find out how... If it is a jumper easy, however if you need resistor packs then you will be better off getting an external passive terminator to connect on the 25 way port.. Alternitavely... got a ZIP drive or ANY other external SCSI device, If so plug that in to provide the end of chain termination...

I'm 99% sure your problem is termination & connecting the HD to a PC PCI card would work fine but you may find that installing it back into the HD8 the termination issue will still be a problem....

TC :mrgreen:

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Just to add, I had the drive fully visible on a Squirel SCSI interface in an A1200. The drive had been prepped on a Warp Engine 40/040 SCSI bus. :wink:

Some excellent advice here from everyone, thanks guys. :wink:

@ Paulcan

I'm sure you'll succeed. Your Avatar name says you can. (y)

Kin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom