Found FOUND: Looking for a good amiga 1200 Accelerator please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniffmyface

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Rotherham, England.
Hi there.

Been looking for a while for a good accelerator for my un-modded A1200, preferably with some memory on-board.

Can anyone help me???

I've searched around the net for hours - found a few places that say they have them but it turns out they have no stock.

Ebay generally draws a blank and is unreliable - they are few and far between.

Seems they are like rocking horse dung at the mo.

Please, someone sell me one!!!

Thanks.

Harrison

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
What price range are you willing to pay for an accelerator? And what type of accelerator are you looking for?

For general Amiga use to get a lot more from your A1200 I would personally recommend you try to find a 68030 50MHz accelerator with at least 32MB of ram installed. This will give you good compatibility with Amiga software, including most games, but will equally give you a good speed boost and make Workbench much nicer to use.

If you however wanted to go for something faster you will need to seriously consider a tower conversion as the 68040 and PPC CPUs run too hot to be used reliably in a standard A1200 desktop case. You can use a 68060 in a standard case as they run cooler than the PPC and 68040 chips, but they do still generate quite a lot of heat and are best in a tower.

For a 68030 accelerator the best is the Blizzard range.

Adonay

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
lund sweden\Haugesund Norway
Region
Skåne
I agree you should state your price area and or limit that way some of us may have a good card for you laying around i have several but afraid they are not the cheap type ...

sniffmyface

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Rotherham, England.
Sorry, i was a bit ambiguous with what i wanted there!

At the moment i am just after something like a 1230/40 card at either 40MHz or 50MHz with at least 16mb of ram (or the capacity to install that much ram).

As for the price - i know they arent cheap and are pretty rare now so i am willing to pay the going rate. Not expecting a bargain, but obviously not looking to get ripped off.

I was a big, BIG user of the amiga back in the day. I have only just recently got hold of a stock A1200. Obviously this has re-ignited my passion for the machine and i now want to try and re-create the system i had years ago to get the most out of it.

At the moment i have no plans to turn it into a tower - mainly due to the fact i wouldn't know how. It took me all my strength to remember how to warm reset the amiga after all these years!

Hope someone can help.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I was going to get this myself,

but I have no more pocket money this week

as this is a BUY IT NOW auction its allowed to be linked to although this is not my auction!

What you really want

Apollo Mk3 40mhz 030 + 40mhz 68882 co-pro

Well worth the £44 price tag!!!!

damn its a great card! I have one of these, well worth the money!

The above features
  • 680EC030 (QPF) @ 40mhz (over clockable to 50mhz))[/*:m:1d0o3868]
  • 68882 (PLCC) Maths Co-Processor (40mhz over clockable to 50mhz)[/*:m:1d0o3868]
  • Upto 64MB of ram (in two 32MB sticks)[/*:m:1d0o3868]
  • Will accept Fast Page Module (FPM) or Extended Data Out (EDO) memory [/*:m:1d0o3868]
  • Optional SCSI Controller (although the Apollo SCSI is DIRE! LOL)[/*:m:1d0o3868]

if you want perhaps the Second best 030 accelerator card for your a1200 this is a bloody bargain price, i have seen these sell for atleast twice as much on average!

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ Zetr0

I Concur,....It`s a steal of a card, but the shipping costs could kill the deal. :shock:

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
£44 is good

However, shipping from Oz (Airmail £23), and possibly a dead card?
(Possible Faulty RAM? I certainly would want to know what colour screen was flashing up)
This is the card Here on the Hardware database, a bit thin on info.

Anyone know if it's compatible with the PCMCIA slot?

Don't want to p1ss on anyone's chips but these are things I would want to know.

[Edit] Wrong shipping quote, he's advertising the weight as 1.5Kgs!

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@RoJaws

Indeed, its a concern as i missed that bit :oops:

However, i can say with experience as i have one of these cards (which you know :p) , it is PCMCIA friendly, and with 2 ports it will handle 32MB per port.

Now... Apollo's are damn fussy about their memory. and without the right match one can have serious problems.

Also what is concerning is the guy is only testing a 2MB stick. hmmm i hope its not trying to move a kickstart into RAM, that could be an issue right there...

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
I thought I'd seen it somewhere, but couldn't quite put my finger on it!
I should have known really, :LOL:

sniffmyface

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Rotherham, England.
Cheers for spotting it, but i think i'll give this one a miss.

Could work out being about 60 quid with delivery and isnt guaranteed to work. Bit much to take a risk on. Don't mind payng double that for a decent card, but i have to know its going to work.

The search continues...

:cry:

sarek2k

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Morecambe, UK
Region
Lancashire
@sniffmyface

i have a spare card here from my 2nd A1200 i don't think it's anything special but @ least i can test it working before it goes out.

i'll have a word with a couple of the mods/admin team before i post a price if your intrested!

the board i have is an apollo 1220 with an 020 processor and an mc68882FN20A chip

Here is a picture i took the memory out so you could see the label.

Expansion2.jpg

sarek2k

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Morecambe, UK
Region
Lancashire

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
sarek said:

There are just too many good ppl around! :D

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
sniffmyface said:
Just when i lose faith in mankind (well, ebay anyway) someone comes along and proves there still is a few decent people around.

Cheers mate, i have pm'ed you.

That's the reason why we don't exactly like the "E" word around here. what we offer is an alternative run by sceners and enthusiasts, not traders wanting to make a large profit.

Nice offer, Sarek :)

Merlin
Lead Moderator - Amibay

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
£25 for that level of performance increase?

Cheap as Chips! :)

Nice one Sarek, The system works!

sarek2k

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Morecambe, UK
Region
Lancashire
thanks for the kudos guys but ppl have helped me here with free or little cost stuff so it's only fair to give back.

anyway sniffmyface has upped the 25 to 30 to include any extra costs such as paypal surcharges etc, very decent of him if i do say so myself and in keeping with the spirit round here it's good :)

For the Amiga community we are doing very well ourselfs/osuk/classic amiga/english amiga board(plus others), we all have good spirit and it's not always about the highest bidder that to me is fantastic.

I really do hope we help ppl out and prevent them having to pay stupid prices on Ebay etc.

ABay Rules :)

sarek2k

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Morecambe, UK
Region
Lancashire
Posted today as promised!

Just one thing Sniffmyface when you install the expansion watch out for the A1200 shielding touching the back of the card i had to bend mine a little as it's very tight and so easy to short out the board) (This may or may not be down to the fact i have a 12/13mm depth hd as opposed to the slimmer 9.5mm modern 2.5" drives)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom