Found someone who robbed me on Facebook

d0pefish

Country
England
Region
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Back in the days of AmiBench, at the end of 2006/start of 2007, I had a wanted ad for a network card, to which someone responded with an email.

After some discussion I agreed to purchase his Ariadne II. We agreed on a price and I paid him.

He then proceeded to tell me he'd posted it and it was on its way.

Some weeks later, it had still not arrived and I asked him of the progress. It had apparently gone missing and he went on to look into it with the Royal Mail. By this time my period for claiming with PayPal had long since expired, and it never crossed my mind to use it as I trusted him, and wanted to wait as I wanted the card.

Eventually he came back and told me it had been returned to him (undeliverable, RTS) so perhaps the address got cocked up. I reverified my address with him, and he told me he'd repackage it and resend.

And that was the end of it. I kept asking for progress, as of course it never turned up. He never replied again. I sent another politely worded email in January 2010, and never got a reply.

Today, I randomly wandered into my Facebook account, and who would I see on my suggested friends list, but him. Of course, Facebook grabs contacts from your email accounts for you, and based on the frequent email exchanges we had had previously, Gmail had added him as a "contact".

So he's alive, and out there. I also know what he looks like now.

What shall I do next?

Message on Facebook to him? To his family if he doesnt reply? The police (I can see his vague location now)?

I have no need for the item at all any more, but the money would be nice to have back.

Is it long since too late to resolve this, or have I grounds for legal help?

Thoughts? :coffee:

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Screenprint the facebook page so if you have to contact the law then thets something they can follow, even though they are usually p*** useless most of the time.

Best of luck mate.

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
@d0pefish

You can't always rely on the fact that the facebook picture is accurate :oops:

As an example I've attached my facebook profile picture (y)

Dave G :cool:

Attachments

• n619660319_926.jpg
    n619660319_926.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
^_^

As we can see Mrs Davideo giving Mr Davideo a little helping hand so he's feet dont get wet on the grass =D

*hehehe*

@D0pefish

I wish you only the very best of luck, however tracking him down is only part of the problem you would have to provide proof of purchase as well as correspondences.

The police will only intervence on a criminal matter not a civil one, as such the police could only prosecuted as fraud.

I would suggest that you gather as much information from him/her as indirect as possible, and then use this information - contact the police first, see what they say - if they cannot help, then I would suggest you pop-along to your local Citizen's Advice Beauro - make an apointment and discuss options there - you might find a strongly worded letter will get you a refund on your loss... especailly when you inform him/her of the cost of a civil court ruling against them would incur a minimum cost of £40 + £45 per correspondence you have sent as well as the cost of the item and its acrued interest - can easliy topple a couple of hundred =D

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
@d0pefish

True, I didn't think of that I must be honest however, do you have a phone number to contact?

P.s. Best of luck trying to 'interface' your new Squirrel. :D

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
but davideo, that is what you look like!

^_^

As we can see Mrs Davideo giving Mr Davideo a little helping hand so he's feet dont get wet on the grass =D

*hehehe*

Glad to see you've both still got your sense of humour (y)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
The Citizens Advice Bureau is definitely the best place to start. Gather together and print out everything you have about the transaction, including all email communication and proof of the transaction. They will be able to tell you if you have enough evidence to take him to the small claims court to recover your money, plus any damages/costs (loss of earnings etc).

Tracking down his address would be the best result as you can then send a warning letter (by recorded delivery to prove receipt) informing them you want your money back or you will be taking them to the small claims court.

If you paid for the item via Paypal then you can also contact them, and even though some time has passed they might allow you to launch a complaint against him.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@d0pefish

After having seen you holding two beers at once, all I can say is:

"You Pussy" :LOL:

@ D0pefish

Just forget it, don't do Facebook again & put it all down to a learning experience. ;)

Charlie

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
@d0pefish

After having seen you holding two beers at once, all I can say is:

"You Pussy" :LOL:

Charlie

We'll be doing that again soon and perhaps even outside the same Chinese (y)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Top Bottom