FPGA Arcade: My new beast story

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
Hi guys.

I was fortunate some days ago to receive after a LONG wait my very own FPGA Arcade.
As I done in the past, I thought about sharing my journey and findings in a seperate article on my blog which I will maintain here as well for fun, educational purposes, and also gather ideas and comments.
Everytime I make an article I will provide a description here as well as the link for my blog.

I hope you'll like it as much as I do :)

Last edited:

Rakeim132

Country
Australia
Region
Gold Coast
Have you tried the AGA emulation? With your optimised WB it might be cool, as well as for games...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

voyager_1701e

Country
Australia
Region
Maitland, NSW
Im liking you coverage..keep it going!

Slightly off topic, how do you get WhichAmiga to recognise the revision of Kickstart (ie 3.9)? My 3.9 rom gets reported as unknown (from memory)

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
Im liking you coverage..keep it going!

Slightly off topic, how do you get WhichAmiga to recognise the revision of Kickstart (ie 3.9)? My 3.9 rom gets reported as unknown (from memory)
How are your running your 3.9 ROM? What version of WhichAmiga u using?

diskers

Country
Poland
Region
Maz
Hi Milos,

I looked at your blog. Nice one indeed. I took a look also on the benchmarks (sysinfo etc). I'm not criticizing the core that MikeJ made nor to his project - first how could I even not having tested it. As I also wanted to buy the FPGA arcade (and probably I still do) but the difficulty to get one turned me few months ago to MIST (which also on it's side have some problems, especially with AGA implementation). Getting to the point- not entering into delails - as Altera in MIST and Xilinx in FPGA Arcade are globaly quiet similar in their effectivness in handling the implementation of an Amiga 1200 on MC68EC20 with it's custom chipsets you should get much better speed even without cache suport.

Last edited:

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
Cache will give a really nice increase (i believe 4x). MIST is certainly faster than FPGA Arcade atm but time will tell :)

Quoting from Mike in his forum...
It will be about the same (with MIST) for now once the cache is enabled. To me stability is more important and I want to make sure it is robust and timing clean.
I have more memory bandwidth available, but to use it means widening the 68K bus from 16 to 32bits. This is quite complex.

At the moment cache just clock enables the cpu on bus idle cycles.
I've written an instruction/data cache with prefetch which will get us a little faster than the Mist design. I have twice the memory bandwidth.

Every FPGA board have it's supporters and I certainly like all boards. The reason I was on preorder from day 1, was the fact that I really believed in FPGA Arcade and it's potential. Soon I guess we'll have RTG enabled and next, the daughterboard which will blow our socks off! It's ready from what I know so again... time will tell :)

diskers

Country
Poland
Region
Maz
I'm neither a MIST board hard enthusiast / fanatic nor a FPGA Arcade one. For they prices and for all the hard work that was put on them a great respect should be given for those who take part on this. That's why I like those boards. However I would like in the futur acquire or make a project of an FPGA board based on a high end FPGA or high medium end one that would be able to decently implement a superscalar CISC CPU with FPU (something as the P5 or 68060 CPU or better) with all the I/Os etc. Nowadays the cost for a board capable of that from Aletra or Xilinx is over 2000 bucks, for a non professional use it's a little too much. The second option need more perseverance and time but you can customize the board at your will. However making it alone can take a looong time and won't cut too much costs, especially for a small batch.
PS. For the daughterboard remember that it uses a Freescale MC68060 and as I know the production of those ended. Something must be found for replacement for the new daughterboards.

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
That's why I have an NOS 060 rev.6 in my drawer waiting patiently to be used :)

Last edited:

Matt3o

Country
Italy
Region
Florence
okay guys. I don't want to flame, mine is a honest question.

I understand the theoretical benefit of a board like mist/minimig/fpga arcade, but in reality hasn't emulation a quicker development pace? Making them virtually better.

I still miss the appeal of these machines even though they look pretty neat.

Top Bottom