Fractal generators

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Back in the 80's Fractals suddenly became a big thing, with the advent of 16-bit computers fast enough to render them fairly quickly.

I've played around with Fractal generators over the years, but not for a while. What Windows based Fractal generators would you recommend these days?

I'm currently playing around with Chaotica, which seems pretty good, with lots of options, although not the more intuitive software initially. It also throws all cores up to full 100% load whilst running as it is constantly re-rendering the current image at higher and higher sampling rates. OK for a bit, but I don't really want to be running all 4 cores at 100% all of the time if I can help it.

Another called Mandelbulber looks interesting and I'm going to try that out next. And maybe Incendia.

Any other recommendations?

merlin1968

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Derby
Just tried Mandelbulber.

Haven't the foggiest what I'm doing but it looks nice and certainly tested out my CPU cooler :blink:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
3d fractals are definitely a step on from the 2d ones we were used to on the Amiga. But as you say, very confusing.

Also as you say, a bit worrying too see all cores at 100%. Mine was happily running at 62 degrees. Definitely seems fractals are the way to Max out cpus and soak test them lol.

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think i have seen/used one since Mandelbrot on the C64 :p

Last edited:

johnim

VIP
Country