Frontier elite waiting

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Well I was erm "testing" Frontier Elite last night and WTF is going on with getting crew? I bought a ship that needs extra crew, can't leave station without a crew, 4 and a 1/2 months I waited and watched the buletinboards for people needing a job!

on the bright side, the A4K didn't lock up while playing so I guess it was the 040 getting toasty:)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Well I was erm "testing" Frontier Elite last night and WTF is going on with getting crew? I bought a ship that needs extra crew, can't leave station without a crew, 4 and a 1/2 months I waited and watched the buletinboards for people needing a job!

on the bright side, the A4K didn't lock up while playing so I guess it was the 040 getting toasty:)

Frontier is an excellent "test" of Amiga hardware. I've been known to use it on many an occasion to "test" that all my Amigas are working. :)

As for the crew, sure, that really is a nuisance. I think I got to the point of checking there were crew to be hired on the boards before I upgraded my ship.

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
I can't even work out how to fly anywhere. Even with the books .......

As a kid I was great at this game, can't remember a thing :(

I request launch, launch gets granted. I take off. I select a station, auto pilot then the base I launch from shoots me down

It's odd.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
lol i needed 11 crew:shhh:

Jimbo, take off aim up, give it some throttle, accelerate time by 2, wait for the jump icon to appear bottom right, click it, and whoosh:D

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

Somebody eyeing up the Panther Clipper then? I gave up with that thing, it's such a dog to actually fly. Personally, I much prefer the Imp Courier. It's about the right balance between cargo and fighting.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
it's not so bad with a bomb, 4 x 20mw lazers, ecm, naval missiles and autopilot locked to the attacking ship it's not so bad:D

Somebody eyeing up the Panther Clipper then? I gave up with that thing, it's such a dog to actually fly. Personally, I much prefer the Imp Courier. It's about the right balance between cargo and fighting.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
autopilot locked to the attacking ship

Ahh, the "drop a 10 ton weight on 'em" approach. "My ship is bigger than yours, watch what happens when I drive over you!"

To be fair, I always found that was the only way to shoot other ships down. I don't know how you can possibly fight in manual mode.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
is there any other way? lol

plus the hull with auto repair and 6 x shield generators, always funny to attack a space station, wait for the 6 coppers to come out, use the bomb then collect the floating ore:LOL:

only costs a fine of 500cr as well, worth every penny:cool:

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
is there any other way? lol

plus the hull with auto repair and 6 x shield generators, always funny to attack a space station, wait for the 6 coppers to come out, use the bomb then collect the floating ore:LOL:

only costs a fine of 500cr as well, worth every penny:cool:

Now that is a wicked little tip.

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
2 more cheats.....

I WANT TO BE ELITE!

First of all, what you need is some money and a fair sized ship. The money should be enough to buy a 30MW mining laser, and your ship big enough to hold it (obviously). Once you have got your hands on one, make your way to Phobos. Phobos is one of Mars' major moons. Sometimes it does not show up well on the navigation map so look carefully for it and zoom in or out as needed to get a lock on it.
Completely stop about 0.5km away, and aim your sights at the moon. Next put the stardreamer time control on 3 '>>>' and fire away. Every few seconds the elite Federation will send you a message saying "Right on Commander!"
After a while you will find yourself shooting up the ranks all the way to Elite!

I WANT LOADS OF MONEY!!

At the beginning of the game sell everything on your ship including the drive, scanner, automatic pilot etc... Then fit a passenger cabin. Go to the bulletin board and take on the first job for taking someone somewhere. When They are on board your ship, go to the new and reconditioned ships section and select to buy a ship that costs less then yours is worth (you'll know this because the price will be a minus figure). Then click on buy and the message 'You can not buy a new ship with passengers on board' will appear. But they will give you the trade in price anyway. If you keep clicking on the buy button they will keep giving you the money for the ship and you can get very rich indeed.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
1. Buy a Lion Trader
2. Buy 10 mining machines
3. Buy an escape pod
4. take off then use escap pod
5. receive combat eagle
6. sell of 10 miniming machines
7. you now have a combat eagle with 300ton cargo space
8. load up class 10 hyperdrive
9. load up military lasers
A. load up hull reapirs
B. load up shield regenerators
C. Add missies / ecm / docking computers
D. Add a couple of cabins for guests

and there you have it... a flully super decked out Combat eagle that can travel beyond the beyond on 1Ton of hydrogen fuel - in less than a DAY!!

Oh you also get about 150tonnes of Cargo space left over after all the upgrades.

now, with this craft YOU CAN shoot down your enemy - or let the shield generators / hull repair units take care of them.

Once thing I will say is - if you take out contracts to either pickup/destroy a target on a given date - you will be hanging around there for a bit as it will only take you a handfull of hours to get there (class 10 hyperdrive on the mass of a combat eagle is awesome!)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
The Panther Clipper used to be my favourite. I don't remember handling issues, but it was some years ago I played the game properly when it was first released. I used to load it up every day when I got home. Amassed a huge wealth and explored the galaxy. Definitely one of the longest amount of hours logged for a single game. I think GuildWars is the only one I've spent more time playing.

Regarding cheats/tricks. There is also the one where if you scroll far enough through the galaxy map it will let you make a jump there... somewhere on the other side of the galaxy.

And as Andy said... it is a great game to test an Amiga, with the 3D stressing the ram and CPU. I found out my A4000/40 was getting too hot that way as it crashed after leaving Frontier running for about 30 minutes. Fitted a little fan to the CPU heatsink and its stable now. :)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I WANT TO BE ELITE!

First of all, what you need is some money and a fair sized ship. The money should be enough to buy a 30MW mining laser, and your ship big enough to hold it (obviously). Once you have got your hands on one, make your way to Phobos. Phobos is one of Mars' major moons. Sometimes it does not show up well on the navigation map so look carefully for it and zoom in or out as needed to get a lock on it.
Completely stop about 0.5km away, and aim your sights at the moon. Next put the stardreamer time control on 3 '>>>' and fire away. Every few seconds the elite Federation will send you a message saying "Right on Commander!"
After a while you will find yourself shooting up the ranks all the way to Elite!

I tried that one years ago, but it never worked for me. In fact, I think the game crashed when I tried to mine Phobos.

I WANT LOADS OF MONEY!!

At the beginning of the game sell everything on your ship including the drive, scanner, automatic pilot etc... Then fit a passenger cabin. Go to the bulletin board and take on the first job for taking someone somewhere. When They are on board your ship, go to the new and reconditioned ships section and select to buy a ship that costs less then yours is worth (you'll know this because the price will be a minus figure). Then click on buy and the message 'You can not buy a new ship with passengers on board' will appear. But they will give you the trade in price anyway. If you keep clicking on the buy button they will keep giving you the money for the ship and you can get very rich indeed.

That one definitely works in early versions of F:E2. They sadly fixed the bug in later releases. (I'm fortunate enough to have a first release of the game)

It also has the 'wormhole' bug. If you try and hyperspace 655.36 light years (or multiple thereof), the fuel cost and 'out of range-ness' counters wrap-around, so you can jump really far.

If you're a trigonometry smartarse, you can use this trick to leap from any star system to any other star system in two hops. I am not a trig smartarse, but I can still do some neat shizzle with this bug.

Oh, finally, I have a trainer for Frontier if anyone is interested. It allows you to do all kinds of stuff, like add more cargo space to a ship, increase money etc. I think it even allows you to fly some of the other ships in the game (Ever fancied trying your hand out on a Lynx Bulk Carrier or Long Range Cruiser? It even gives you access to the fabled Thargoid ship, but don't sell it, you'll crash the game!)

Geraldine

Re-discovering Amigas after a bit of an absence!
Country
Scotland
Region
Renfrewshire
1. Buy a Lion Trader
2. Buy 10 mining machines
3. Buy an escape pod
4. take off then use escap pod
5. receive combat eagle
6. sell of 10 miniming machines
7. you now have a combat eagle with 300ton cargo space
8. load up class 10 hyperdrive
9. load up military lasers
A. load up hull reapirs
B. load up shield regenerators
C. Add missies / ecm / docking computers
D. Add a couple of cabins for guests

and there you have it... a flully super decked out Combat eagle that can travel beyond the beyond on 1Ton of hydrogen fuel - in less than a DAY!!

Oh you also get about 150tonnes of Cargo space left over after all the upgrades.

now, with this craft YOU CAN shoot down your enemy - or let the shield generators / hull repair units take care of them.

Once thing I will say is - if you take out contracts to either pickup/destroy a target on a given date - you will be hanging around there for a bit as it will only take you a handfull of hours to get there (class 10 hyperdrive on the mass of a combat eagle is awesome!)

Good tips there Zetr0, apart from I don't think Hyperdrives go up to class 10. You can get a class 4 military drive or a Thargoid drive (listed as "Unknown") which used military fuel.

In the Amiga version, there was a hack you could use which would unlock the Thargoid ship for use (or any other model in the game for that matter), plus adjust the ships equipment to your requirements. Here is a link on Aminet, but remember its only for use in disk based Amiga versions. There are 2 versions of this trainer so I will post both http://aminet.net/package/game/patch/FrntTrn or http://aminet.net/package/game/patch/FrntTrn2

Is this the trainer you are talking about Andy? Or have you another one?

Perhaps David Braben did want to put them in the game as the Thargoid ship is in the code (along with a lot of other things which were not used), but he maybe ran out of time to properly integrate them into it?

Anyways after you have used the hack just save your game onto the HD then you can load it up with your copy of Frontier on there.

Finally for all you Frontier veterans out there, Elite 2 is undergoing an open source remake called Pioneer being developed on Linux. Here is a link http://pioneerspacesim.net/download

The guys working on it are always looking for people to help, so if you think you could contribute drop them a line. And for additional info have a look here http://www.spacesimcentral.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35

Last edited:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Good tips there Zetr0, apart from I don't think Hyperdrives go up to class 10. You can get a class 4 military drive or a Thargoid drive (listed as "Unknown") which used military fuel.

In the Amiga version, there was a hack you could use which would unlock the Thargoid ship for use (or any other model in the game for that matter), plus adjust the ships equipment to your requirements. Here is a link on Aminet, but remember its only for use in disk based Amiga versions. There are 2 versions of this trainer so I will post both http://aminet.net/package/game/patch/FrntTrn or http://aminet.net/package/game/patch/FrntTrn2

One of those is almost certainly the same trainer I have for Frontier. Do you know if you can get the "Unknown Hyperdrive" (Class 4 Military Drive) in-game without using the trainer?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Elite2 would be ever so awesome for a remake - I have read Elite IV is comming.... just VERY slowly =(

I wanna know why I cannot have more than one ship at one time - thus I could dock my sup'ed up combat-eagle (loaded for assasin missions) into my panther clipper ?

Why cannot I not name my ships!? its the little things --- AND I want to add a texture map flag or insignia to my ships - and netplay - and pvp arena's - and wingmen - I wanna buy my own plannet and call it "Che' Zetts" build a spreawling metropolis and several large orbiting stations...

and I want it installable from one 880k floppy!!!

its not much that I want..... honest

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
i spoke to Mr Braben the other day (no, really):)

I saw Ian Bell at a show back in the 80's. He was at the Acornsoft stand surrounded by spotty little adolescents trying to get his autograph on their newly aquired copy of Elite for the BBC micro.

I wonder if any of those signed copies exists today???

Elite2 would be ever so awesome for a remake - I have read Elite IV is comming.... just VERY slowly =(

There was also Elite: Starfighter - A german remake back in '94/'95 for the PC with up to date sound and graphics. Sadly I cannot find a copy anywhere to compare :(

Elite_Preview_Cover.jpg

Geraldine

Re-discovering Amigas after a bit of an absence!
Country
Scotland
Region
Renfrewshire
Do you know if you can get the "Unknown Hyperdrive" (Class 4 Military Drive) in-game without using the trainer?

There was a book call "The Secrets Of Frontier Elite 2" By Tony Dillon, which hinted you could get the Thargiod ship by attaining both an Elite and Prince rating. Once getting those you were told it's location, but I don't believe this to be true as I have searched the code of the game and although the ship is there, it's not enabled unless you use the hack. Perhaps it was one of the things David Braben never got round to finishing.

Yes VERY SLOWLY, but keep the faith!

I wanna know why I cannot have more than one ship at one time - thus I could dock my sup'ed up combat-eagle (loaded for assasin missions) into my panther clipper ?

There is a fighter launch bay in the code for Elite 3, but that never came out for the Amiga :(

Why cannot I not name my ships!? its the little things --- AND I want to add a texture map flag or insignia to my ships - and netplay - and pvp arena's - and wingmen - I wanna buy my own plannet and call it "Che' Zetts" build a spreawling metropolis and several large orbiting stations...

Perhaps Pioneer could give you that, suggest it on Space Sim Central or even code it yourself!

and I want it installable from one 880k floppy!!!

its not much that I want..... honest

:LOL:

Top Bottom