General Laptop hardware help needed.

Vipp

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
UK
Hi folks,

My laptop is a sony Viao - SVF152C29M and the two screws on the most outer right of the board that hold the screen hinges in place have vanished? it happened over time and with our lives being as hectic as they are we didn;t act on it as soon as we should have. today a little golden ring that looks like its supposed to hold a screw in place dropped out of the laptop near the screen hinge and it looks really poorly.

Can anyone help me fix this? I need two screws and possible two of the golden things? i am happy to buy them if you have a shop front to direct me to, whilst maintaining Amibays rules on price fixing of course.

also if the gold thing drops out is that the end of it being able to be fixed? we really can't afford a new laptop and this one isn't that old. any help would be fantastic.
Thank you. :)

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
The metal rings will be the screw posts buddy, usually when they drop out its cause they've snapped. You'll probably need either a new lid or base section. Post a pic if you can showing what's dropped out and where from.

Vipp

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
UK
I just pulled up the side of the laptop on the side where the gold bit came out mike and i can see clearly that something is very wrong here. laptop broken.jpglef tand right hinge.jpg

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
General Laptop hardware help needed.

The gold rings are the screw supports and sit inside those broken pieces of plastic. You could try and glue them back in but in my experience once they break you can't really repair them. In my opinion you'd be best looking for the lower palmrest/touchpad section of the case. I don't think you'll find a brand new one and i can only see one on ebay in white :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191592638636

My laptop is not too different lol

9a4becee83fe9b643f4ec50fbe6ea4d1.jpg

Last edited:

Vipp

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
UK
Mate this sounds a little shoddy maybe, but could i put a hole in the top and post a small (ish) bolt with a thin top into the hole where the screw was then simply bolt the thing back together? glue.jpg

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Might not look tidy but would probably work. You'd just need to be careful you don't hit any hardware/cables with the bolt or when making the hole.

I took mine apart and put the bolt through the hinge and bolted it to the base section of the laptop. The pic above is the other side so I need to open it up and do that side now.

Last edited:

Vipp

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
UK
Thanks mike, what bolt did you use mate? I thought if i find a bolt with a thin top and then put a couple of those soft pads on the top/inside of the screen it would help prevent the top from shutting fully and bending over the thin tops of the bolts?

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
I used some of these mate from maplin but you can find similar in pound shops now

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433257648.783494.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433257666.564518.jpg

Vipp

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
UK
Awesome!, i will pop to the hardware store and see what they have.

Vipp

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
UK
Well i took Scrappy's advice and here are the repairs made to the laptop. The top now closes and opens like it should and the 'bolt tops', next to the keyboard area, are so small that the lid closes just fine, so that was a bonus. The down side is, i have two sharp nut ends on the underside of the laptop that i will need to cover with rubber feet or something.

Thanks again Scrappy for your help. i knew i came to the right place to get assistance. :)

The bolts came from Asda and were £1 for the whole tub. :) bargain.

Attachments

• laptop sorted (1).JPG
    laptop sorted (1).JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
  • laptop sorted (3).JPG
    laptop sorted (3).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
  • laptop sorted (2).jpg
    laptop sorted (2).jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6051.jpg
    IMG_6051.jpg