German eBayer selling Retr0bright Gel !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Hi,

I have been alerted to this link by another member of Wikispaces. It appears that a German eBayer is selling Retr0bright gel kits....(n)

http://cgi.ebay.de/Retro-White-TOP-...em&pt=Klassische_Computer&hash=item1c1431932e

Now, the reason that I didn't set up to sell Retr0bright originally is due to the fact that it is hazardous for supply by post. Hydrogen peroxide should NOT be sent by post or courier as it is a hazardous chemical, yet this clown wants to send it via DHL Packet International!! :nuts:

I wonder if he's aware that if it goes by air mail (as it's most likely to by DHL) that he's in a lot of deep doggy-doo, since hydrogen peroxide can also be used to make things that go boom...

I am also really not impressed that he (or she) has nicked the picture of my Commodore 64 from the Wiki. I know that the Wiki is under a Public Licence, but this is offside and no mistake.....(n)

Do any of the German AmiBayers on here know who this guy is? If so, please PM me.

Thanks

fogWraith

AmiBayer
Country
Sweden
Region
Gävle
Wow, minor loss of words here.

My german isn't that good, but I´d report him and have the ad removed if possible.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Merlin, first of all, report it to eBay. They WILL do something about it I assure you and it's usually within a few hours (especially if copyrighting is in question). Also tell them the dangers of peroxide and the courier the seller has selected do not cater for them substances.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I hope there can be some legal action, but I'll doubt that Merlin took copyright..

Anyhow I even buy battery acid in germany and get it by post delivered.:cool:

Well I don't like these type of actions, so I feel with you Merlin...

I think our community is also about sharing, not making huge profit.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I would, but I really want to know who this person is first, before the auction gets pulled or cancelled.

This person has incurred my wrath.....:ninja:

Edit: If I find out that this person is an AmiBayer......

Even more edit: Is it me, or did that auction just end.... at 20.18.....??

Even More Edit: A kind AmiBayer has bought the item, so I now have a clue as to who this eBayer is....

Last edited:

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Reported to Ebay for theft and also potential bomb making equipment. Alerted DHL to this seller and advised them about the h2o2 contained within the kit.

Additional!

Here's all the names he's used in the past.

Aditional, Aditional.....

Get 'im Merlin! Cry havok and let slip the wrath of Amibay!

Attachments

• Clipboard01a.jpg
    Clipboard01a.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Hang on, whilst I appreciate your crusade it's not illegal to sell hydrogen peroxide.

It's available in multiple stores online, and also from many sellers on ebay.

That's where I got the stuff I used to make my retr0brite, so I sort of appreciate it being available on line :D

I daresay the couriers might not be impressed, admittedly. Mine was delivered in three bags within a box...

edit: how can you report him for "theft"? There's quite a few people on here that have wanted to try retr0brite but haven't wanted to make the stuff: I personally think he's not doing anything wrong but different strokes for different folks and all that... The worst he's done is break the CC license for a picture by not attributing it...

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ all

I don't want this to turn into a vigilante thing.

All I want to do is stop the guy from using my C64 picture, as it sort of associates what he's doing with the Retr0bright Wiki and that is clearly wrong. Also, if his bottle leaks in transit, if he's including Oxy with it, there could be a reaction and that is bad news.

I want this guy to realise the potential for what could go wrong with his plan to make a few quid.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I'm closing this thread before it goes off on one. A suitable request in German has been sent to the eBayer to stop using the C64 image and to consider the repercussions of sending chemicals by post.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Woah, slow down folks! Let's not end up in a flame-fest.

@Blankstare: We do appreciate what you've provided here, but it does look like there's nothing the guy's done that's actually illegal.

@Merlin: I appreciate your concern. Perhaps your best bet would have been to send the seller a message through the eBay system, warning him of your concerns and asking him not to use your image.

:grouphug:

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
As a final footnote to this thread, I have added the following text to the front page of the Retr0bright Wiki ( we can't get any more 'in yer face' than that).

It has come to our attention that some individuals are offering for sale "kits" similar to some of the Retr0bright recipes on auction and other sites. Please be aware that these are not endorsed by this Wiki in any way and the Wiki organisers shall not be held liable for any loss or injury caused by the use of these "kits".

Hydrogen Peroxide is classified as a hazardous substance and, as such, is not accepted by many postal services and couriers without declarations and special handling procedures. It also has other uses besides hair bleaching and Retr0bright, so we strongly advise caution on where and how much of this you buy.

This site's founders and authors do not sell Retr0bright for these very reasons and do not endorse or recommend any resale of premixed Retr0bright. If you see it for sale, it is not with our blessing or consent and we strongly advise caution: if you order some for delivery and it leaks in transit, you and the supplier could have some interesting questions asked of you.

We are also aware of something similar to Retr0bright being sold on eBay, with the seller using a picture taken from this Wiki. This is nothing to do with any of us, and we encourage you to ask the seller if they are complying with the Creative Commons License for the picture as we believe that consent has not been granted for this use, but, more importantly, also whether they are fully declaring the contents of their packages to their courier and are following best practice on shipping hazardous goods.

I think that's made our position clear and informed everyone about the risks of buying "kits" online.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom