Getting software onto a real C64

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I've had success in the past using an XE1541 or whatever its called (connects via parallel) to copy to and from a real 1541 floppy drive for my C64.

But in the past PC's had a parallel port, so that was easy though still a pain.

Nowadays a parallel port is non existent on any PC made after like 2005. So I whipped out my old Pentium II laptop with Win98. Well, StarCommader keeps crashing and CBM4WIN wont seem to work.

Sooooo, I connect an old Pentium 4 tower with Win XP. The unreliable piece of cr*p keeps crashing or giving errors or just restarting.

I got sooo annoyed that it was such a hassle to do something so simple!

So, off to the other bay and just did an impulse but SD2IEC. So.... hopefully once it arrives, no more stupid parallel ports, no more Windows XP and 98, no more messing with cables and plugs and rubbish like that. No more using stupid MSDOS software.

Sorry, just frustrated after wasting around 2 hours of my life because modern pc manufatures are to cheap to include a bleeding parallel port.

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
there is a usb version of the xe5141 (XU1541) i had no issues in windows 7

sd2iec is a great piece of kit it just isnt a full 1541 emulator so it fails on some games and demos that talk "direct" to the hardware in the 1541.

Last edited:

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
WindowsPC/MAC/anything that can d/l from the net to get D64s -> SD -> SDuIEC -> C64 is the absolute easiest way

also CBM Command to write out D64/D71/D81 to actual disk is also handy

Last edited:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
i still use a xe1541 cable,but i have to use it in dos

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I finally got it working. The Pentium 4 / Windows XP machine had a faulty ram stick. Removed it (its now 1GB - more than enough) and it works fine.

Installed CBM4WIN again and also the GUI and it is working perfectly. Copied Turrican II and Impossible Mission to disk and they worked :)

I am still happy though that all that frustration yesterday gave me the push I needed to get the SD2IEC

ElectroBlaster

Country
Exeter, Devon
Hey at least your machine works! lol

I have managed to loose two in the space of 24hours. There is light at the end of the tunnel though, re-built a Breadbin 64 into near original as possible and it works :D

Also I have an SD2IEC and an 1541-III. They both work good. Will get around to trying some copying onto real floppy disk etc later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom