Good CF cards for the Amiga

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
I've been looking at some 16gb cards, does anyone have any experience with either a Fujifilm 16gb or Transcend 16gb would be nice to hear of success or failures with these. They will be used on the IDE port as hard drives, not through the PCMCIA port. Or if anyone can recommend reliable and cheap 16Gb cards i'd be happy to hear about those as well, by cheap i'm talking £10-15 range and they must be brand new.

Last edited:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I've setup a couple of these for customers and they're decent, fast media:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-16...e=UTF8&qid=1426596155&sr=8-1&keywords=cf+16gb

Only thing to note they do not like the scsi device of OS3.9 BB2 (43.43) so you have to use another for large Disk support on OS3.9

I used 'loadmodule' to patch in Chris/Toni's (43.45) using PFS3 AIO as the file system. If you use loadmodule to load in another scsi device you must use the setpatch declaration:

c:setpatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device" QUIET (you probably know this anyway so apologies if teaching you to suck eggs.)

Another option is to build your own custom Rom and do away with the OS3.9 patch completely, this can be an image in Maprom (such as ACA Cards) or Blizkick. Blizkick can also be used for patching the scsi device as a module.

I've also used the Transcend 133x 16gb CF's and they were fine too, a bit more expensive IIRC. I don't recall them having an issue with the scsi device of BB2 but I can't guarantee it.

Last edited:

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Good advice there Steve think i'll try the Kingston. Do I take it there is no problem with the 32Gb models as well? Also on your link to Amazon there there is two different cards, do you know what the difference is between compact and ultimate compact?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Sorry I haven't tried the 32gb ones. For 32gb I'd be inclined to get one of the kingspec ssd or even a mechanical hdd.

I read over at EAB you use idefix97 for large disk support, this is also fine and you can skip the os3.9 scsi update if needed.

But, best method unless you're using a 4way ide device is to patch the scsi device.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
I'm just sick of getting block id errors so i'm considering going down the CF route. I was thinking 2 or 3 adapters with 16gb cards would be more than enough for what I want and although i've only used 4gb cards in the past i've never had any block id problems with them before.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
For 32gb I'd be inclined to get one of the kingspec ssd
Have you actually used these on Amiga's? I can only see sata versions, would they be fine to use with a sata to ide adapter? (I already have one but have never used it). And am I right in thinking sata is single drive only as iirc they do not support master/slave?

Last edited:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
You can also find the Kingspec and other brand IDE SSDs on Amazon. Just do a search and you'll find a bunch. :)

Heather

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
most of the ones i see are the 44 pin variety, do any 40 pin ones exist as it's for my A4000?

I am seeing these disk on modules, are these actual ssd's or some add on for other ones or something? i'm slightly confused here lol

Last edited:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
All the Disk on Modules I've seen are mechanical drives. There may be SSD versions but I'm not sure. As for the 44 Pin IDE drives, you would need a converter because I don't believe anyone has ever offered a 3.5" SSD.

Heather

Last edited:

diskers

Country
Poland
Region
Maz
Problem with SSD drives with a non-trim capable system is shortened drive life even for drives with a good garbage collection (of course if you will make many writes on it). Personally I'm using a Pretec 32GB 233x CF.

Last edited:

Jiffy

Country
Netherlands
Region
NH
All the Disk on Modules I've seen are mechanical drives.
You mean 'none of the Disk on Modules I've seen are mechanical drives'. ;-)

Disk on Modules are flash memory drives and can be used as a direct replacement for a 'real' hard drive, no adapter or cable required. I have one in both my A600 an A1200 (4 GB a piece). Very compact. Even more compact than a CF-card with adapter.

Last edited:

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Well I went for the Kingston one Steve recommended and so far i've put 10 gig on it without errors. I'm beginning to think the bitmap errors I was getting with real drives might have been due to connecting them up via usb, going to look into sata to ide adapters and see if it still happens.

Top Bottom