Got an Amiga, what to do next?

FzzyBnny

Country
USA
Region
Colorado
Might seem like a stupid question, but I’m new to Amigas. I managed to get a desktop 4000/40 in immaculate condition, as in it looks like it is practically straight out of the box from back in 1992. It’s already recapped, has a ReAmiga 4091 SCSI controller, a ZuluSCSI card, and a functioning CD ROM. It boots and the original keyboard and mouse still work as well.

So what to do next?
- Some suggestions I read on other threads are to fully test it with various testing and diagnostic applications. Good idea?
- I was thinking about adding RTG and NIC to it. I know the conventional wisdom is to get dedicated cards for each, but that gets pricey from what I’ve seen and not always easy to come by. I was thinking about the MNT ZZ9900 to be able to do both in one card. Is this a good idea? Pros/cons?
- I was also thinking about adding a soundcard. I know there is an add on for the MNT ZZ9900. It is that a good option in lieu of others like a Prelude II?
- the PSU, not sure about its overall health. Are there guides and recommendations for replacing it with a standard ATX PSU? I know there are custom adapters sold through Amibay that seem like a good idea.
- anything else to recommend a total Amiga noob?

Thanks!

Boing-ball

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
Might seem like a stupid question, but I’m new to Amigas. I managed to get a desktop 4000/40 in immaculate condition, as in it looks like it is practically straight out of the box from back in 1992. It’s already recapped, has a ReAmiga 4091 SCSI controller, a ZuluSCSI card, and a functioning CD ROM. It boots and the original keyboard and mouse still work as well.

So what to do next?
- Some suggestions I read on other threads are to fully test it with various testing and diagnostic applications. Good idea?
- I was thinking about adding RTG and NIC to it. I know the conventional wisdom is to get dedicated cards for each, but that gets pricey from what I’ve seen and not always easy to come by. I was thinking about the MNT ZZ9900 to be able to do both in one card. Is this a good idea? Pros/cons?
- I was also thinking about adding a soundcard. I know there is an add on for the MNT ZZ9900. It is that a good option in lieu of others like a Prelude II?
- the PSU, not sure about its overall health. Are there guides and recommendations for replacing it with a standard ATX PSU? I know there are custom adapters sold through Amibay that seem like a good idea.
- anything else to recommend a total Amiga noob?

Thanks!
First off Congrats!
Normally most people start off with a A500, 600 or a A1200. But you went straight for the machine a lot of people dream to own (As well as the A3000).

So you mention the board has been recapped. I take it the Varta Barrel battery was removed also? I’m guessing yes if it was recapped.

The A4000 is a more than capable machine. The PSU is normally pretty good, maybe that too got recapped? But as you’ve pointed out there are options. I replaced my PSU with a Corsair 450 SF PSU using a 3D Printed holder. But the metal one for sale is a much better option with the ATX to 4000 connector.

As for RTG. Yes this can be minefield. The MNT ZZ9000 is a good option with the all in-one. You can opt for older RTG cards such as the PicassoIV or Cybervision 64 or 64/3D. This help gets the best Workbench feel especially if you are using a web browser like iBrowse. Don’t forget that a lot of games and other programs require the Amiga native graphics to be viewed. The MNT ZZ9000 can flicker fixer and scandouble the Amiga native mode. There are though still issues with the MNT which are still being worked on.

As for diagnosis. Then get hold of DiagROM ROMs or even boot a copy of Amiga Test Kit which will test things like RAM and CIAs.

Top Bottom