Gotek & amiga 2000 - can i still boot from DF1?

RobA1200

Country
England
Region
watford
Hi all

I've got a gotek to fit into my amiga 2000. id like to still be able to boot from floppy.

my 2000 is a revision 6 board with ECS.

DF1 drive is currently dead. my DF0 is a slimline replacement with no visible jumpers like an older style drive. are the jumpers under the cover?

what happens when a got has no usb in it? will the a2000 default to booting the HD or if there is a disc present in DF1 boot from that?

i have no early startup menu except for the A2030 030 or 68000 screen to select boot device.

any recommendations please?

thanks
Rob.

Last edited:

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
depending on the kickstart version.

The Amiga usually boots from DF0 , however later kickstarts will boot from DF1 (only workbench disks not games)

There were little adaptor that could be bought to allow switching from DF0 to DF! as the boot device at the flick of a switch on a500/2000 models

Set the GOTEK to be DF1 and away you go...

with no usb it will be ignored and will show a DF1? bad disk type icon. it will still boot from DF0 or Hdd just fine.

mike.

Last edited:

RobA1200

Country
England
Region
watford
thanks mike - what if i want to boot from the gotek - pressume thats how you run games off them? rather than via workbench like WDload?

my kickstart is ECS 37.175 512k is that ok with the A2030 board?

Olav_nordmann

Country
Norway
Region
Hordaland
I heard with Kickstart 2.x and newer you get to the boot menu where you can select boot drive by pressing the two mouse-buttons at startup.

Some games still expect to be run off FD0 though, and for those the boot switch adapter needs to be used. It's a very simple device: all it does is to flip the /SEL0 and /SEL1 outputs of the CIA-B with a switch.

Last edited:

RobA1200

Country
England
Region
watford
what kickstart version would i need for a revision 6 A2000 ecs? thanks

- - - Updated - - -

just noticed if i deliberately crash out the system i do get the early boot menu to choose boot device. however usually my a2030 card menu appears with an out of memory note in the top corner

Top Bottom