Greetings from Athens, Greece...

riscknight

Country
Greece
Region
Athens
It's a pleasure to be a member of this community; so, a big "hello" from me to all of the members here! :)

I started back in the 80's with a NewBrain Computer; I went through a lot of "phases" since then and it has been a great and enjoyable experience for me all the way; a magic journey... A ZX Spectrum - can still remember the jokes from the "Commodore guys"; "hey, when you turn it upside down, do you know that you can use it as an eraser? :Doh: Acorn Computers like the Electron in which I learned to write code for the 6502 and then the BBC. Amstrad CPC's; 464 and 6128, Commodore 64 which had to sell (n) in order to buy the 128 and some others; among them an Atari 65 XE, a LYNX ( still in perfect working condition with a perfect box as well ), an Oric ATMOS with 48 KB, a QL, a 728 Spectravideo... The "ride" was wonderful with great memories that I'll always treasure; and, with a touch of "magic" that is lost nowadays. I get nostalgic sometimes and wish that I could go back... back to those days where "everything" was - dont' know exactly how to express it - shall I say "simpler", "pure"; I do believe though, that some of you will understand what I'm talking about - and it's not only about the Retro Computers... it's all about those wonderful years... back then.

Anyway, when the Amigas and ST's hit the market, I really got hooked up! :bowdown: We use to visit and buy stuff from a Computer Shop in Stournari St. in Athens which was the "coolest" and, had the "coolest stuff" ( this Street was the Silicon Valley of Greece, full of Computer Shops ) when school was over - almost every day - and there was a guy who was working there which had an Amiga and 2 ST's. He was an "Atari person" and he was showing us games and demos on the ST; we were in heaven... :D "You see, the Amiga and that damn ball... guys, GUYS... wake up; this is THE MACHINE!!!" he used to tell us. "Never go to Nick ( he was the "Amiga guy" ) THIS ONE is the computer you've been dreaming all about!!!" :cool: Well, I finally managed to save up some money and with the help of my folks I bought one ST... Time went by, 2 friends of mine bought the Amiga 500 and "Star Wars" began...:censored: You get the idea! ( to be continued )

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Hi riscknight,

I can tell you were there during "The Fanboy Troll Wars" in the late 80s/early 90s.... yes, some of us were there too....

For some reason, I always get this mental image of Mark Hammill (as Luke Skywalker) asking Alec Guinness (as Obi Wan kenobi).....

Ben: "I fought alongside your father, but that was a long time ago...."
Luke: "Did you really fight in the Fanboy Troll Wars, Ben...?"

:mrgreen:

Last edited:

riscknight

Country
Greece
Region
Athens
Well, this is the best "Welcome" message that I could get and I'm really happy about it; but most of all, I'm happy because "you were there" as well with some other members and because we'll never forget this "ride"...

Wishing you All The Best and my Kindest Regards.
Take Care...

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Oh, I actually forgot to say welcome to Amibay!! :oops: :whistle:

Actually, the Fanboy Troll Wars were indeed a long time ago, in a land far away... oh sorry, I'm at it again....:LOL:

We are all retro brothers and sisters now, irrespective of the format or brand of the machine and Amibay exists to serve this retro community as best we can.

macwhoelse

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Exeter, Devon
Hi Riscknight, Welcome to Amibay.:D
I was around in the early days too during the "mine's is better wars":p
Now, I love them all !

Mac

riscknight

Country
Greece
Region
Athens
Thank you All...

Thank you All...

For your kind words; I think this is going to be a great winter for all of us!

riscknight

Country
Greece
Region
Athens
Glad to be here...

Glad to be here...

And see that Amibay has also a lot of Greek members!

Top Bottom