Greetings

beholder242

Country
USA
Region
Iowa
My name is Brett, from Iowa in the USA. I'm 39, work in the IT industry and have a fond remembrance for the times when I was a proud Amiga owner. In my computing early years, I gravitated (more or less by coincidence) to Commodore systems. I first played games and wrote my first BASIC program on a Commodore PET at the public library. Parents bought me a Commodore 64 which I used for many years and won a computer programming contest in 9th grade with. Eventually upgraded to an Amiga 500. After a couple of years, and after hearing about some upgrades to the line (1MB chip ram mod, Kickstart 2.0), traded it in for a newer Amiga 500. Upgraded next to a 2000. Acquired another 500 system from a friend who was getting out of Amiga and into PC's. Picked up an Amiga 3000, sold off the 2000, sold the 500 to my uncle (who still plays games on it to the present day).

The end of my Amiga days came in about 1996 for two huge reasons:

1. My 3000 started developing issues which was due to the infamous leaking battery problems. Attempted to replace the board by buying another board from a company called Paxtron. The board I received came out of the box DESTROYED. Destroyed how, you may ask? Well, there was a very significant burn mark on the underside of the board near the 3000's Amber chip which also caused damage and melting of the Amber socket on the component side. Paxtron claimed I had destroyed it, never mind the fact that I received the board at my workplace and my Amiga was 30 miles away. Got screwed out of $300 that I had worked hard to save in order to resurrect my machine. One of my friends who also had a 3000 was nice enough to sacrifice his mainboard to my machine, but shortly after that came.....

2. QUAKE. My friends started to play this classic FPS, but since I had an Amiga, I could not join in with them. This was the reason why I gave my 3000 back to my friend (it was his mainboard in it after all) and moved over to PC's.

But now I have returned to the Amiga scene. I've acquired a number of 500's and 3000's through eBay and private sales, but now have some extra parts to dispose of which may end up on the Marketplace forums at some point.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Welcome to amibay, I have not doubts you'll feel all welcome here and feel at home :)

there are some rules (unwritten ones)

In order for you to feel truly at home, You'll have to give me one of your A3000 boards :LOL:

anyway, it's a semi sad story you told, and I'm sorry for your loss.

do you still have the old defective boards ?

cheers ;-)

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
Welcome to amibay. (y)

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
welcome aboard!!!!

ah Q, one of the best games ever... :)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Welcome to AmiBay! Always nice seeing more USA members here. :)

Enjoy!

Heather

Top Bottom