Grex 1200 quality ?

Country
Netherlands
Region
Groningen
Hi,

Is the Grex 1200 for a BlizzardPPC a good addon or a risky one?

I have heard about GRex cards burning out BlizzardPPC. Is this an actual problem? How much load does the Grex put on the BlizzardPPC?

In any case. What would be the saver thing to do? Is it a better idea to use a Mediator instead of the Grex?

I know all about the bandwidth differences but running games on this old hardware is just not an option these days.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
As far as I know, the GREX is an awesome piece of kit that can run circles around a Mediator bus board. Never heard about problems with it.

Keropi is the guy to ask about G-rex, as he is the only friend that I know that had the system.

The drawback is the bus board can only take a Voodoo card because the lack of drives for newer RTG cards.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
not only do you need a BlizzardPPC, but it needs to be a Rev2 or higher (from DCE) which means that the regular Phase5 won't work.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
not only do you need a BlizzardPPC, but it needs to be a Rev2 or higher (from DCE) which means that the regular Phase5 won't work.

Not even if you Flash the BPPC with the latest firmware?

Perhaps an Email to the boyZ @ G-Rex might be the best confirmation available.

Also, the earlier G-REX boards only gave DMA on the first one or two slots, but the later busboards had DMA available on all slots. Another reason worth Emailing them for & easily checked via the boards Serial Number. (y)

Kin

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
Like rk said, G-REX busboards are just pure awesomenes!!!
Remember, it has it's own power connector (so cards do not draw current through the bppc) and it also has 2 screws+bolts to secure it with the bppc. I bet the "burned cards" stuff you are hearing is because the connection was not good - and desasters happen with all hardware when they have flimsy connections...
it is hands down the best busboard you can get for your A1200 (or A4000) if you have a ppc accelerator.

Country
Netherlands
Region
Groningen
rev 0 does work with older flash and older drivers.

rev 0 does work with older flash and older drivers.

OK, so no problems with overheating or anything.

I have a system with a Grex 1200 in it but unfortunately it doesn't have a rev2 BlizzardPPC.

I do have it working though :)

I have an older version of the flash BIOS for the BlizzardPPC and I use older Cybergraphx drivers. I thought it was one of the beta's. So it doesn't support OpenPCI or newer drivers but it does work!! I have a Voodoo 3 in it, a 10 MBit LAN and a sound card. This driver/BIOS combination was from just before they went OpenPCI which required the rev2 update. Biggest mistake ever in my opinion because this move killed the GRex 1200 has a good upgrade.

I really need to make a backup of this Workbench install because I have no idea anymore what I installed.

I have 2 BlizzardPPC systems running with a BlizzardPPC 233 MHz and 68060 at 50 MHz. One has the GRex 1200 and the other a Mediator SX 1200.

Top Bottom