Guide to transfer to CF using WinUAE

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
I am making this short, concise guide for those who have a CF drive amiga and want to use it for file transfer. This method is practical because it doesn't require the amiga to have a connection to the PC.

Step 1: Patching the WinUAE startup.

Ditch the desktop shortcut, because it forgets one important parameter for this process, the "-disableharddrivesafetycheck" option. To make a "patched" shortcut, open up notepad and type this:
Code:
winuae -disablehardrivesafetycheck
Save the file to the location of the WinUAE executable, which is by default C:\Program Files\WinUAE as WinUAE.bat. Now, right click it, and go to create shortcut. Move this shortcut to your Desktop. Now, to change the icon, right click->properties and click Change Icon. Point it to the WinUAE executable.

Step 2: Getting the Ideal setup.
Okay, double click the WinUAE shortcut we made in the last step.
WinUAECPUsetup.png

This is the recommended configuration for CPU.
WinUAEChipsetSetup.png

Since most people who use CF drives for an HDD are using an A1200, this in my setup. If you are PAL, then please uncheck the NTSC box.
RamConfig.png

Again, this is my preference, because of my limited resources

I recommend at least 2 floppy drives, 3.5 DD but i use 4.
HDDsettings.png

Your screen should look similar. I use a CF-USB adapter, Targus brand, but PCMCIA should work.

Please save the configuration.

Step 3: Working with the CF.
Now, fire it up with a workbench disk in any floppy drive.
001.png

This is how it should look if you've already partitioned the CF in the miggy.

I am not going into partitioning a CF because it is much like a hard disk, just one parameter must be constant. The "Max transfer" as told by Arnljot should ALWAYS be set to 0x1FE00.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
nice

nice

Nice guide, should it not be kept somewhere? It can enhance the user experience for new users alot!

winuae -disablehardrivesafetycheck is this one still needed?

The way I do it, is partition and format in real amiga and then go back to winuae to install workbench ed.. (this way I am sure the amiga sees the hard disk/cf properly)

It writes to the hard disk without that option afterwards.. (
WinUAE 1.6.1 released (18.06.2009)
======================================)

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:49 ----------

You had a post about the disablehd thing. (saw that one after i posted)

Not sure why you need it, and I don't need it.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
winuae -disablehardrivesafetycheck is this one still needed?
Not if you've already partitioned the drive (or card) on the Amiga, or if it's completely blank (as in, no MBR or RDB)

Basically, that option allows you to use a hard drive that's formatted as a Windows/Linux/anything other than Amiga.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
ignore

ignore

:Doh:Right, tested it with a 2,5 hd (ntfs) and indeed, then it needs the option.

Indeed best to leave the manual untouched, even to mention the above could confuse people, and makes things more complicated.:roll:

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
Dreamcast270mhz:

I recently bought a cf card and cf/ide adapter. I tried to follow this guide but Winuae will not see my cf card set as IDE0 but only as uae. Not sure if it really matters.

The real Amiga sees the card fine by itself. The issue I am now having and I am not sure if anyone else has had this issue as well....On both WinUAE and the real Amiga I cannot delete or overwrite anything on the cf. I get the "files are prevented from deletion" in workbench 3.1. When I try to install AmigaSYS I get "error deleting" messages and I assume it is because of the same issue of not being able to delete or overwrite. In AmigaOS 3.9 I get an option of Force Delete and these options work but not in the AmigaSYS install. How can I make the files deletable? If I do it all from a HDD it does not do this..or should I be making a new thread?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Check if you had selected the write-only jumper on the CF adaptor by mistake.

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Are the files Protected from deletion?

OS3.9 will unprotect and then delete if you want it to (Force Delete).

I don't think OS3.1 and lower will.

Dave G :cool:

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
rkauer:
Nope. I was able to copy all of the AmigaSyS setup files to the card when it was blank and I am able to delete/overwrite empty folders. I know the card isn't write protected.

davideo:
The files are not protected from deletion. I checked that first thing. And yes, 3.9 allows force deletion as 3.1 and lower does not.

I did read on another forum this morning (I believe EAB) that if you copy files from cd in WinUAE using the "Add CD/DVD drives at startup" option this will happen. But adding the CD/DVD drive as a folder it will not happen. I am gonna try it when I get home. Thanks for the help and I will respond back with the results.

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
Ok guys and gals I just wanted to give an update on what my problem was just in case someone else ever runs into the same issue.

It was because the files were coming from CD and since they were coming from CD they were flagged as read-only in Windows, but not flagged in AmigaOS this way. So I pulled all of the AmigaSYS files from the CD into a folder on my Windows desktop, right clicked the folder and removed the read-only flag, then fired up WinUAE and copied the files over to the CF card and everything went good from there. The same exact thing happens when I install AmigaOS 3.9 from CD, but only when done from WinUAE. On a real Amiga it works fine, just takes a lot longer to install.

Thanks for trying to help me out and sorry if I sorta kinda hijacked the thread. :)

Top Bottom