RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Still expanding my A2000 I've found my AIT35/70 streamer

And want to configure it to be used with Diavolo or other software

using the gvpscsi.device and the SCSI ID of the tapestreamer I tried to make an inquiry but nothing happens.

I've also tried the same with my Malibu controller.

what can I do to get this setup to work ?

cheers

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
scsi chain is good..

I was thinking if I'm missing some tape drivers etc ??

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
If cable is good and termination is OK, chances are the streamer is dead.

Inquiring the SCSI chain shows nothing at all or other devices on it shows up correctly?

Are you using a different ID from other devices in the chain?

Is the device the last of the chain? Moving it to another location in the cable does the same?

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I checked if other devices could be seen on the controller, and the harddrives can be seen.

as a test, I replaced the SCSI 2 cable with a LVD U2W cable, switched Term power on and off on the streamer.

Even switched to the malibu controller.

It seems like the AIT35 streamer isn't SCSI-2 compatible.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
There are at least two versions of the AIT35: IDE and SCSI LVD units. LVD units works perfectly on common SCSI chains.

Again, check if the unit is not dead.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
the streamer was tested in a pc just before using it in the amiga, so it should be pure bad-luck that it would break just now.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
If working, at least it must show up inquiring the SCSI chain. So the only chances are:

-it is not compatible with the Amiga SCSI controller (doubtfully);

-it is somehow misconfigured (wrong ID, wrong termination, bad contact on the SCSI cable, bad solder joint in the unit connector);

-it is not powered on;

-it only shows up when an Amiga-formatted tape is inside;

-no drivers.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
If working, at least it must show up inquiring the SCSI chain. So the only chances are:

-it is not compatible with the Amiga SCSI controller (doubtfully);

-it is somehow misconfigured (wrong ID, wrong termination, bad contact on the SCSI cable, bad solder joint in the unit connector);

-it is not powered on;

-it only shows up when an Amiga-formatted tape is inside;

-no drivers.

by your estimation it can be the 2 last, since I don't have any amiga formated tapes that cannot be tested. the Malibu controller has some installation for scsi tape, which I also ran, but still not viewable.

it's highly unlikely that I've misconfigured the scsi chain (I've been working with that professionally >10 years).

are there any tools for viewing what's attached to the scsi chain ?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Run HDInstTools and do a scan of your SCSI bus, in my experience it lists all devices on the chain, even if they aren't hard disks.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ Tomse

Hi M8y. :D

Have you tried this device?

http://aminet.net/search?query=tape+device

You need to have a Tape Device FileSystem installed on your System.

I have a brand new & still sealed TapeWorm File System package here if you're interested? - I can not vouch it will work with your HP device, but as it's SCSI on an Amiga, I don't see why not.

This software worked fine with my Sony SDT-9000 SCSI drive. HP are not my favourite choice of HW tbh. HP suck for me. ;)

With Tape Devices, you must have a Tape Divice FileSystem in place or nothing will be seen by the SCSI Bus as the correct handshakes can not be made. (y)

The Amiga is all about "devices" m8.

Kin

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
@andy I'll try that thanks :) (I think I'll have to edit the information on the icon, see below)

@kin interesting, I'll take a look at that also :)
I can see it uses scsi.device, does scsi.device communicate with gvpscsi.device, I read somewhere that HDToolbox cannot see drives until you tell it to use gvpscsi.device instead of the Commodore scsi.device. Which gives me some doubts if this tape handler will work.. oh well I'll try it later :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Tomse:

SCSI.Device or GVPSCSI device pertains to your Controller; IE: SCSI Card & this needs to be in place for the SCSI.Device being used to communicate with the Device.

The TAPE.Device is the Protocol required for the SCSI.device to communicate with the TAPE.FileSystem & unless the TAPE.Filesystem is in place, the SCSI.Device can not communicate with the TAPE.Device.

It's all Logical stuff really. - Just call me "Spock" if it helps. :D

Kin

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
@spock

that makes sense :)
I've never needed to play with devices etc until I got the A2000,
so it's still a completely new area ;-)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Good stuff m8y. Give it all a whirl & see how you go. Do let us know how you get on though. ;)

Kin

aka "Spock" ....

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Just as an update, I still haven't been able to use the AIT streamer.
I can see the harddrives on the controller when requesting for it, but not the streamer.

If I get my fingers on another kind of streamer I'll try that one.

Tahoe

Collector Extrodinaire
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Wilnis
It's very lickely that the AIT streamer will not work with your Amiga, unless you are using a wide SCSI controller. Even then the tape drive is probably to new for the Amiga to recognize it and work with it.

Your best bet is to find a DDS3 (DAT24) drive. They work. I also have a working DDS4 in my A4000T which works.

I have tried a DLT80 and an Ultrium213 on my Amiga, both would NOT work on the same controller the DAT works fine on!

@Kin:
You do not need a tape device driver if using Quarterback, not sure about Diavolo. Quarterback you just tell it to write to scsi.device, unit 2 and it'll work without any additional software installed.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I thought as much regarding the newer UW streamers

the Diavolo works the same way as quaterback then, you enter the device driver (gvpscsi.device) and the SCSI ID.. thats it.

We'll I'll see if I can get an old DAT or SLR or something :) thanks tahoe

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
<snip>
@Kin:
You do not need a tape device driver if using Quarterback, not sure about Diavolo. Quarterback you just tell it to write to scsi.device, unit 2 and it'll work without any additional software installed.

Now I didn't know that as I never used Quaterback for tape backup. Thanks for the info, even though my Sony SDT-9000 is now retired in my Spare drive box. :|

@ Tomse

Termination on Tape drives can be a total sod though. My old Archive Viper had to sit on the End of the SCSI bus outside of the terminated cable & without it's own termination Packs in place, otherwise it would not work in any instance. This is one area where SCSI Law can actually be a total pile of :bs:

Kin

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
@ Tomse

Termination on Tape drives can be a total sod though. My old Archive Viper had to sit on the End of the SCSI bus outside of the terminated cable & without it's own termination Packs in place, otherwise it would not work in any instance. This is one area where SCSI Law can actually be a total pile of :bs:

Kin

I agree.. I have a high quality HP (Compaq) UV Cable with terminator, which is one of the cables I've tried.
I've tried everything regarding this streamer, and cables.
and it works on a pc with an Adaptec 29160

Top Bottom