Happy New Year!

summer256

Country
New Zealand
Region
Auckland
Hello all,

I probably should have joined this community years ago, but like most things these days I can never find the time. I'm mainly a game player. Though to do that I needed to collect machines.

Many years ago I started with an SC-3000 and stayed on the SEGA side of things (and even worked for Sega for a while) until I saw Super Mario 64. Then I branched out before heading back to my roots and I've have been a retro gamer ever since.

My interests include VFD games, Game & Watch and most consoles/computers and handhelds from around 1981-1984.

My console/computer collection includes -
SC-3000
Master System
Megadrive/32X/Mega-CD
Sega Saturn
Dreamcast
NES
Nintendo 64
Nintendo DS
Gamecube
MSX2
Atari 800XL
A few arcade boards

I also have, but are not that attached to - Gameboy Advance, Wii, Wii U, Xbox, Xbox 360, PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and Nintendo 3DS.

I have almost all of the Game & Watches (in various condition). I'm missing a couple but that leaves me something to hunt for when I go on overseas trips. And that's half the fun for me these days. I spend more time researching and cataloging my collection than I do playing it. And I enjoy that just as much. And that's what it's all about for me. Nostalgia and enjoyment. I'm not a completionist. I only like to keep those things that I have strong connection to or fond memories of. So I'll often buy something, play it, recall that I never really liked it that much and then end up selling it. The more things I find that I really enjoy, the more I cull off things from the fringes of my collection. I've although I've owned a lot consoles in my time I've narrowed it down to the machines above.

I've only recently started looking back at the other games machines I fondly remember playing back in the 80s (at various friend's houses) so now I'm looking for -
- an Amstrad CPC 6128 with colour monitor
- a Commodore 64 (one with the dark brown keys)
- a ZX Spectrum 128, though I'd probably settle for a ZX Spectrum+ or +3

With those 3 computers I think my collection will be complete and I'd be happy playing games on them for the rest of my life. So when I get the time I'm going to post a few wanted ads. While the look of a machine is important to me in an aesthetic sense, because I'm a games player, I don't care about the condition as long as it works. Throughout my years of collecting I have picked up a few spares and doubles, so I'll probably be posting a few things for sale too. I used to have a massive collection with many rare items that I sold off quite a few years ago. Hopefully some of it went to some of the members here.

Can't think of much else to say at this point. But I'm happy to talk old games with anyone. (Obviously my area of expertise is Sega). And I live in New Zealand.

My favourite game of all time is Robotron 2084. Though give me a game with bricks, keys, a map, and gold chests and I'm happy.

Top Bottom