Hello from Melbourne, Australia

acherion

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
Hi there,

My name is acherion (not my real name obviously) and I am located in Melbourne, Australia. I have been a rabid Amiga fan for the past 27-odd years, starting with the big daddy of them all, the Amiga 1000. This machine was the family computer (I was only 6 years old when I was introduced to the Amiga world) and it was the first computer in the household. I used it mainly for games, but also did my homework on it with the trusty Epson 9 pin printer.

In the early 90s (I would like to say 1993 but I am not entirely sure) this was upgraded to a late model A2000 that was upgraded to ECS and 1MB Fat Agnus. The machine had two floppy drives, so I guess it was really an A1500 then? But we didn't have A1500s in Australia, and the badging said A2000. My dad put a GVP hardcard with 80MB hard drive and all of the sudden I didn't need to swap disks out much anymore :) This machine went through many upgrades, namely an IBM 2.1GB SCSI drive, 2x SCSI CD-ROM drive and a not-very-reliable 14MHz CPU upgrade.

Unfortunately Commodore went bust and we tried to soldier on with the Amiga as much as we could, but we eventually succumbed to the PC switch and we were running hand-built PC clones for quite a few years (I switched to Mac myself in 2004) but I did receive my very own A1200 about 5 years ago as a hand-me-down from my uncle. The machine was relatively stock, but came with a CSA 12-Gauge '030 upgrade (33MHz) and no extra RAM — this was quickly resolved with a 32MB 72pin SIMM that I had laying about doing nothing.

Now that I have gotten married and live in my own house, I have dedicated a room for computer gear, including my retro gear. The A1200 is still using the original Commodore 1084S monitor that was coupled with the A1000 so many years ago (front panel and power switch both working fine), but has been further upgraded with a CF to IDE adapter, Squirrel SCSI adapter for use with my external CD ROM drive (caddy load!), 3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA network card, clock battery and updated 3.1 ROMs. I recently bought an Indivision MkII CR adapter that will give me DVI-I and make the 'meeg more usable in this day and age on the web.

So that's basically me in a nutshell when it comes to the Amiga. I had joined the site many years ago but never bothered to go through the forums, read what people have to say, or contribute anything myself until now. Hope to spend many late nights on here!

BloodyCactus

Country
USA
Region
Lexington VA
welcome from an expat Melbournian (Springvale), long live Australian Commodore Amiga Review :) hehe

Top Bottom