Hello from Pentad

pentad

Country
US
Region
IN
Hello all!

My name is Pentad and I would like to introduce myself to you:

I am a child of Commodore from the 1980s. I received my first computer -Commodore 64- in 1982 @ the tender age of 12.

I loved the computer and it will always have a special place in my heart.

I purchased a Commodore 128 when it came out and really enjoyed the machine. All the fun of the 64 plus the great Basic 7.0 of the 128. A truly awesome machine that I don't think gets enough respect. Bil Herd rocks! :)

I then upgraded to an Amiga 500 which got me through the rest of high school and college.

I was lucky enough to purchase an Amiga 3000 and Amiga 4000 before Commodore would self-destruct.

My favorite machine would have to be the Amiga 3000 with AMIX. While the 4000 had AGA the 3000 was such a powerful machine with a plethora of RAM options.

I did a lot of work with Kickstart and -with help- wrote one of the first Kickstart relocation programs on the Amiga (loading Kickstart compiled for $200000).

I also translated one of the Atari ST Emulators to the Amiga (from German to English). I learned a great deal about TOS.

I am teach Computer Science at a university, I do programming (mostly in Visual Studio), I worked for NASA and the FBI, and I did the film "In the Company of Men" which won many film awards.

I own a MBP 15" (2.8 Ghz, 8 GB of Ram, 500 GB HD) and swap between Mac and Windows.

I will always hold Commodore, their computers, and the people of the time in a special place in my heart. I grew with these machines and it was a very special time.

While it may sound silly, I worry about the disappearance of software and technology from the 1980s and 1990s. So much was produced during that time but I'm afraid much of it will not get preserved for history.

Copyrights and Software Patents (issues I teach) are terrible in their current form. I wish changes could be made to preserve so much before its gone.

Year and years ago, a friend had Atari Unix running on their Atari TT machine. I've never seen it since. I worry about software like that becoming extinct before anybody can make a copy of it and make sure its safely preserved.

I was the first person to start archiving and documenting AMIX on the Amiga. I was fearful that it too would be lost given its limited time and success in the market. I know there are many more applications on the AMiga and else where that deserve to be archived, documented and preserved for the future.

While Microsoft and Apple are well documented in the media and history books, there are many more stories I wish I could read about. I am very grateful for the Commodore book (On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore), I wish there was one on all the other companies as well.

I used to have a huge collection of old computers but I have since parted it out. I know enjoy the classics through emulators and reading many of the magazines that have been converted to PDFs.

I look forward to contributing what I can here.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,
P

Last edited:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Pentad

The C64 occupies a special place in my heart too. After owning a Spectrum and a totally disappointing Atari 400 (I still hate that Atari keyboard even now, about 25 years later) I got a Commodore 64, and my life changed forever....:)

Welcome to our little retro corner of the t'Interwebs.

Slayer

Country
New Zealand
Region
Dunedin
Greetings! Ya adequately accomplished I would say! :nod:

One hell of a ride I might add as well (y)

Welcome to Amibay... I myself have only recently become active... The idea is to sell some of my gear but I've so far only managed to buy two auctions! :Doh:

I own a few classic systems and a couple of NG machines and ummm, I want some more NG ones ;)

In recent times I obtained a cpu museum which broke a 23 year tradition of only having Amigas in the house... now I have just about all commodore machines and even 4 Pets! :blink: and something I've never ever worried about, alot of the printers that go with the old machines :unsure:

Very nice well thought out Introduction... see you around the threads!! :)

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Wow, great introduction! (y)

My first computer was a 64, in 1982, but I'm 3 years younger than you :) .
Then an A500. Then A2000. Then 3000, and finally a 4000. The 3000 remains my favourite Amiga, and I can't quite put my finger on why... It just is.

Excellent to have someone who is a lecturer of computer science on here. Good to know :D.

Welcome to Amibay!

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 ----------

The idea is to sell some of my gear but I've so far only managed to buy two auctions! :Doh:

The first step of dealing with an addiction is to realise you have an addiction ;)

Slayer

Country
New Zealand
Region
Dunedin
Excellent to have someone who is a lecturer of computer science on here. Good to know :D.

Yes, I meant to pass comment on this too, always wanted to do this degree just never got around to it, then again, I always wanted to be a surgeon and went from No1 in the class to hardly at school just because some girl moved in across the fence... funny enough, she's my wife :whistle: :LOL:

The first step of dealing with an addiction is to realise you have an addiction ;)

Aww C'mon! Not Fair! :p

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Addiction? What addiction? Don't you go offering me any sort of "10 steps" cure, as there's nothing wrong with me.....:LOL:

Top Bottom