Hello from Toronto Canada

mike-d

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
Hi everyone! I'm a software developer and got my start on Commodore machines so they have been a big part of my life. I had a 64 breadbin I got for Christmas when I was around 10 years old - I used that with a datasette and black and white tv for years until eventually getting a 1702 monitor and 1541 drive (so exciting!). I drooled over the c128 and then then Amiga 500 but no money, so eventually got an Amiga 2000 I saved up for during high school and used that right through University during Commodore's demise. I don't have any of my original machines or code that I wrote unfortunately but I've been collecting over the last 10 years or so, and have acquired a lot this year specifically. Wish I had done more a few years back though, prices have gotten so high for everything! I have a new to me c64 breadbin, 1702 monitor and 1541 drive, and 2 Amiga 2000's, one of which has some minor battery damage that I'm working on repairing and will eventually recap once I have it running. I also have a c128dcr with 1084 monitor (what a beautiful machine!), an Amiga 3000 & 4000 (both under battery leak repair), and a cdtv.

My intention was to get back into developing for the c64 and Amiga machines, but along the way I've actually gotten really interested in the hardware side of things. I've learned how to solder properly and more about electronics in general and acquired the tools I need and setup a workshop for myself. Youtube has been a great resource. I've completed some small projects already and currently have a bunch more projects on the go (including the 3 machine repairs) and am thoroughly enjoying it! I still plan on getting back into the software side of things soon. I'm planning to buy I few things I need to complete my repairs from here, possibly some upgrades as well, and I think the forums will be a great help when I do get back into some coding. It's so nice that a resource like Amibay exists!

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
Welcome to Amibay!

Shame you no longer have any of the code you wrote. Most hardware can be replaced, even if at higher prices, but code cannot, unless it was stored or shared.

mike-d

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
Welcome to Amibay!

Shame you no longer have any of the code you wrote. Most hardware can be replaced, even if at higher prices, but code cannot, unless it was stored or shared.
Thanks! You're right, it would have been a lot of fun to be able to look through my old work, not just the code but school work like projects and essays too. I'm sure a lot of us are in the same boat and have lost creative things we made with our computers back then, it is a shame.

kynikos

Country
USA
Region
California
Welcome! Learning to solder is almost a requirement now with collecting electronics of this age it seems.

mike-d

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
Welcome! Learning to solder is almost a requirement now with collecting electronics of this age it seems.
Thanks! And I agree. It's fun to own these machines but I think the other side of that is the responsibility of maintaining them for the long term. So either being able to solder or having access to someone who can do it for you is important. It's the same for owning a classic car, you need to be able to work on it yourself or have a really good mechanic (both would be best lol)

zigzagjeff

Country
United States
Region
Washington
Hello from a fellow new person.

What languages were you programming in?

Back in the day I wanted to learn AMOS. I knew Basic from the Bally Astrocade, but never went further.

mike-d

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
Hello from a fellow new person.

What languages were you programming in?

Back in the day I wanted to learn AMOS. I knew Basic from the Bally Astrocade, but never went further.
Hi! On the c64 where I started it was basic and then assembly. I also used GeoProgrammer a bit for Geos. It was hard to learn back then because there was no internet, I basically had magazines and the libary. And the books at the library were slim to none and what was there was at least 5 years out of date lol.

I used Amos on my Amiga 2000, I remember buying it from a computer store at the mall. First thing I did was make a pacman game clone so I could learn the system. It was the first time I made any substantial type of game, I remember it being difficult and backtracking on my design several times before I got it working.

Now you have me wanting to check Amos out again lol

Top Bottom