Hello to everyone from a big Amiga fan and looking forward to using Amibay.

MacrosTheBlack

Country
UK
Region
Kent
So being new to the forum (stumbled across it whilst looking at a few upgrades for my recently dusted off Amiga 1200 Power Tower), I see it's customary to introduce yourself. Well back in the late 80's, 90's and early 2000's I was a huge Amiga supporter. Having started off with an A500 with a couple of disk drives and mainly just gaming use, I then moved onto an A1200 with built in 80MB HD. This I kept adding and modifying for many years and it was the first computer I went online with back in the good old dial-up days with Freeserve!

Anyway having spent a small fortune on my Amiga back then, I vowed never to sell it off and probably something I will just keep forever, even should the day come that it dies. So what do I have then? Well currently the A1200 is installed in a Elbox Power Tower 1200 case, Phase 5 Blizzard 1260 with SCSI Kit IV adapter and 2 x 32MB Memory Simms, Elbox Fast ATA 1200 IDE Controller (CD Rom & 2GB 3.5" hard drive attached, that still works too!) Running 3.1 Kickstart Roms, VGA output with a DCE Scan Magic Internal adapter.

It did have a Surf Squirrel PCMCIA card in it, but I've just taken this out, as one of the main reasons for me joining was to grab a modified Wireless PCMCIA card in the For Sale section to get the Amiga online again. So will be doing that next :)

My other area of interest for giving my old amiga some love again is to replace the now very old 2GB 3.5" hard drive. Having seen various posts, blogs, etc covering CF cards (which seem to be the most popular solution these days). I still have a few questions as to the most suitable media to use. Love to hear some forum members feedback and apologies if this is not the right section to ask these questions. Will happily move this part of the thread if need be.

Questions are:

1. What's the best option, in people's opinions, using a CF card setup or using a SSD SATA drive with an adapter to IDE? Obviously with SSD I could have a higher capacity, but I'm unlikely to ever need more than say 4GB (having never filled the 2GB drive I have). But is CF slow compared to SSD? I suspect the Amiga's not able to get the highest speeds out of either device anyway. Just notice a lot of people have CF drives and guessing there's a good reason they are so popular?

2. Is there a recommended brand/model and capacity of CF if that's the route to choose?

3. Do you know what the easiest method would be for me to transfer my existing workbench, files and games etc from the current HDD to the new storage?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Simon (MacrosTheBlack)

jeancj73

Jean C.J.
Country
Belgium
Region
Oost vlaanderen
Hi Simon,
With any solid state device like SSD drive or compact flash, the importance is the speed of the controller inside the solidstate drive. You can hook up the fastest ssd if you like, but the bottle neck with regards to speed remains the controller inside any ssd device like an SSD drive, compact flash , sd cards, etc.... and what the system can support. I would just invest in something compatible to the A1200 and choose a brand that offers a high write cycle of the SSD device. There are a couple of good brands that offer this. :)
Good luck,
Jean

MacrosTheBlack

Country
UK
Region
Kent
Thanks Jeancj73 and johnim for the advice. I will drop a pm over to Fitzsteve as see he's very highly recommended and indeed not far away from myself it seems.

Cheers! :)

Top Bottom