Help : Buy new router

JLPedro

AmiBayer
Country
Portugal
Region
Coimbra
Been trying to buy a new router, preferably a Fritz!Box Fon Wlan 7170, but as this routers are built in Germany, most of them are Annex B and i need an Annex A (Adsl+2) version.
My doubt is: in the product support page there's both Annex A and B Firmwares, so can this annex B router be flashed with an Annex A Firmware? (I know there's an international version of the router, but prices here in Portugal are :blink::blink::blink:).

Anyone with a similar router here?

Thanks, JP

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I've never used one of those, sorry.

The ADSL+2 Linksys routers I normally use work well though. I avoid Netgear due to instability and the constant need for reboots on everyone I've used.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ Harrison

I'm suprised you say nay to Netgear. :|
I have always used the DG834 for ADSL, which supports ADSL2 as well & never had any issues. Sagem are laggy in the Routers interface & Belkin products just suck for me with their crap software.

Anyone here in the UK with their SkyBox plugged into the phone socket usually end up frying their Router one way or another. Sky might have fixed this now, but I never had my SkyBox plugged in & have never suffered any issues. ;)

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
It is a DG834 that I've had the most trouble with in the past. Constant dropping of the wireless needing sometimes 5 reboots before it will work again. Netgears business grade networking gear is better and I like the proper metal casing they use for most of it. Never had issues with their switches or network routers though, so maybe it is only the broadband routers.

In contract I've never had issues like this with any Linksys equipment. And I avoid any of the budget end routers or other network equipment. It might look good from the specs but you do get what you pay for.

Regarding Sky. I've always had one of my sky box connected to the phone line at the same time as the router and no issues. These are connected via an extension though, and not the master socket, so maybe that is something. Never heard of this issue I must say.

BTW, our SkyHD has never been connected to the phone line (other than a reel extension when the engineer was here ;)). Otherwise not. The Sky+ box upstairs has always been connected though.

status

AmiBayer
Country
Heraklion
Region
Crete
I have a Draytek 2700vgi (SLI) and i am more than happy with it..

A bit expensive but it does the work very very very well.

With tonnes of features and stable as hell.!

JLPedro

AmiBayer
Country
Portugal
Region
Coimbra
Those Draytek are way above my budget :p, but yes they seem pretty excellent.

status

AmiBayer
Country
Heraklion
Region
Crete
Those Draytek are way above my budget :p, but yes they seem pretty excellent.

Believe you me you wont regret it at all.

Basically linksys products are with basic features and stable enough, try finding a WAG200G it is inexpensive. (below 50euro as i recall )

JLPedro

AmiBayer
Country
Portugal
Region
Coimbra
That Lynksys model as already been recommended to me by Phantom, but only see one on-line store with it and with a "promotional" price tag of 69.90€ + Shipping.... 74€ plus shipping is the cost of the Fritz!Box 7170 on the other Bay, my only doubt with it is the annex thing.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ Harrison

The DG834 does not have a wireless option m8. It's hard-wire only.

The DG834G model does have wireless though. The "G" notation represents wireless for most brands. ;)

Kin

/....Kin walks off stage to file lump down on side of head & pour another JD & coke!

Top Bottom