fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Has it finished the wash cycle, they wont open whilst they are running or else water would go everywhere.

For more technical advice probably better to ask on a 'Washing Machine' or 'White Goods' forum, I'm sure they exist.

But you never know, we could have a washing machine expert Amiga user here who washes their own clothes :D

Best of luck,

Steve.

Last edited:

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
turn all dials to off

switch machine off at the power supply and wait for approx 30 mins

door release latch should disengage allowing you to open the door

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I'm so confused. Is this an introduction? :huh:

Well, good luck fixing it.

Heather

inoel

AmiBayer
Country
uk
Region
WALES
sorry all!!

ment to put this in General Chat

hopfully a mod will come and help
me as allways

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
I'd speak to the owner of the laundrette :D

Dave G :cool:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Unless you empty the tank, you may not get the door open.

1. Check your machine manual, as they always have a "How to open your machine in an emergency" section.

2. Try setting the machine into a spin and drain program, to empty the drum of water. If the machine cannot empty itself, then the most likely cause is;

3. A coin or button has blocked the pump inlet or jammed the pump - either way, it cannot empty the water from the drum. Pull the machine out from under the worktop (if applicable), tilt the machine backwards (you will need assistance to do both of these, as the machine will be :censored: heavy as it's full of water) and open the pump cover to clear our any blockage. Refit the cover, test on a spin and drain program.

Edit: I'm assuming that the pump cover is on the front of the machine - most are.

HyperD

Country
Germany
Region
Deutscheland
Do you have knocked on the door?
Or ring the doorbell. Maybe someone opens. :huh:

I´m soooo sorry for that
:slap

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
It can be the actual door switch not releasing as well. You would have to open from the inside by sticking your hand down.

I used to repair washing machines many moons ago.

It can be the pump has not emptied all the water as well. Normally you can sit the grey pipe low on the floor and fingers crossed the water will flow out, you need something to catch the water. Not all machines have the filter cover at the front you can empty, chances are though you can blow down the grey pipe to unblock it. This is also the best way to check it pump is blocked. Take the outlet pipe (grey) blow down it and see if its blocked. Will taste rather nice as well :)

Or its the vacuum switch. When the machine fills with water it pushes air up a plastic pipe to the vacuum switch, this is how the machine knows when to stop filling. When it empties the air is released from the vacuum switch so the machine knows its empty. This pipe gets blocked with lime scale and crud. So if this is blocked the machine still thinks its full of water and keeps door locked.

Not much else can be said without looking at the machine though.

Cheers

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
^^^ +1

More input required - what other symptoms is the machine displaying...??

inoel

AmiBayer
Country
uk
Region
WALES
well its working fine! I have drained the machine ,I have blow down the grey pipe no
water in the pipe. I now have the top off and have found the door switch but cant
find any switches etc to release the door :)

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Hope you have unplugged it from the socket before putting your hands inside the casing? (y)

What I'd try next is replace all the panels so you are safe and there is no risk of contact with electrical connections. Then plug it back in and try to open the door as per the normal operation.

You could also maybe try the shortest cycle e.g. a short spin so that the programmer starts and finishes as usual which may reset it.

EDIT, Just found this on google: " ...Then pressed the door INWARDS and voila, it would suddenly open"

Also from Google: "Once open I saw that the latch in the door didn't move when I pulled the handle. The problem it seems was in the latch on the door itself. If you end up this problem and want to get wet clothes out, just stick a flat-head screwdriver, behind the door latch into the horseshoe-shaped metal bit and lever it open - no prying necessary."

There's more!:

"Try this to put in the test mode. Put the program selector knob at the 6:00 position. Put the speed spin selector knob at the 9:00 position. Press and hold the pre-wash button and then press the power button. The 5 leds should light up. This will test the door lock switch. Hopefully it will unlock and reset. If not it's best to call for service as some complicated tests will have to be run. Catriver..post back"

Last edited:

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Just a thought that occurred to me... if you are doing a lot of low temperature washes, one thing that can eventually build up is a fungal infection in the vacuum pipe. This is made worse if you use fabric softener. Sometimes you see some slime in the soap tray and this is an indicator of fungus being present.

My cure for this is as follows.

Go to your local DIY store and purchase some Jeyes Fluid. Why, I hear you ask? Well, Jeyes Fluid contains a chemical called para chloro meta cresol (PCMC for short) which is a well-known fungicide, which is why some potato growers use it to prevent their crops from getting fungal rot. Put one capful into the machine and run it empty on a boil cycle. Your machine will be fungus free and will smell really great afterwards.

I recommend doing this every six months or so to keep your pipes clear and the machine fungus free.

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
I had a machine which occasionally wouldn't unlock the door at the end of the cycle.

I fixed it by giving a short, hard smack a little to the side of the door handle.

inoel

AmiBayer
Country
uk
Region
WALES
Progress report hope I have not missed anyone out as you have all
been a great help so far!!

tried the shortest cycle to try and reset this had no effect
pressed the door INWARDS........ no effect.............Ed. D

sticking a flat-head screwdriver, behind the door latch into the horseshoe-shaped metal bit and lever it open.......... no effect.............Ed. D

knocking on the door............ no effect................Almaniac..... ha ha!

I'd speak to the owner of the laundrette................Guru Meditation noel error 2335435436543
press any key....I am in my flat LOL......davideo..... ha ha!

Check your machine manual, as they always have a "How to open your machine in an emergency" section.......... manual & service is a bad PDF not a lot of help sham on you whirlpool :).......Merlin

Try setting the machine into a spin and drain program, to empty the drum of water. If the machine cannot empty itself, then the most likely cause is;................ no effect.............Merlin

A coin or button has blocked the pump inlet or jammed the pump - either way, it cannot empty the water from the drum. Pull the machine out from under the worktop (if applicable), tilt the machine backwards (you will need assistance to do both of these, as the machine will be f@@@! heavy as it's full of water) and open the pump cover to clear our any blockage. Refit the cover, test on a spin and drain program............ machine is light so no water in it? open the pump cover to clear blockage
and no blockage found ….............Merlin

It can be the actual door switch not releasing as well. You would have to open from the inside by sticking your hand down................I have the top off and have found the intlock
however I can not find a way to release the door yet ! I do however think
that this maybe the answer .............Jimbo1979

Take the outlet pipe (grey) blow down it and see if its blocked.
Will taste rather nice as well....................no effect ….......Jimbo1979

Top Bottom