Help on how to backup a hard drive

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Hi guys

I have a 2.5" IDE hard drive in an A1200. The system is setup great but I want to be able to back it all up. On a PC, Id run Acronis, Drive Image etc and create a partition image then restore is as I required, how does one do something similar on an Amiga?

If it helps, Ive got a PCMCIA>CF adaptor from AmigaKit I use on one of my other A1200s and Ive got an external CDROM with Squirrel.

Thanks in advance

Taj

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
you could make a boot diskette with your favorite filecopy util (File manager or DirOpus or similar)

and just copy the files from the local drive (HD0) to the CF, even perhaps pack it with LHA

I'm not aware of any tools like drive image or ghost or clonezilla to the amiga.
But it's quite simple with the amiga though :)
if you need to replace the disk at one time, just format it, and make it bootable using the HD toolbox from the workbench disk, and copy back the files

/tomse

Huggies

Yo mama.
AmiBayer
Country
Australia.
Region
Brisbane, Queensland.
I've done it before with the Amiga Emulator on my PC by plugging the Hard Drive in into a 2.5 Inch USB Hard Drive Box and transferring the contents to a virtual Amiga Hard Drive on the emulator.

I don't know if that is what you would want to do though. :unsure:

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Use Quarterback to backup the partition. Copy the resulting QB file to the CF card then take it to PC and write it to a CD. Instant backup! :)

xc8

A>_
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Birmingham
Other option is the gnutar to get a .tar archive from the HD to pc.

Chris

amigaman2000

Amiga Forever
AmiBayer
Country
Spain
Region
Pontevedra
Hi guys

I have a 2.5" IDE hard drive in an A1200. The system is setup great but I want to be able to back it all up. On a PC, Id run Acronis, Drive Image etc and create a partition image then restore is as I required, how does one do something similar on an Amiga?

If it helps, Ive got a PCMCIA>CF adaptor from AmigaKit I use on one of my other A1200s and Ive got an external CDROM with Squirrel.

Thanks in advance

Taj

The easy way is copy all your HD to CF and you always have a copy of then on your CF, simply open a Shell and type:

copy DH0:#? CF0:HDBackup/ all clone

Obviously you need to first make a Drawer in CF with HDBackup name.

I make all my backups on this way and works great.

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Thanks to all for the replys :)

I will try the simple copy-to-CF way, I thought that might be the way but its been a LONG time since I knew Amigas inside out and Im now officially back to Amiga-n00b status in the last couple of years that Ive been back! LOL, so thanks all (y)(y)(y)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
/....Pimp Alert....Pimp Alert....

As you have a SCSI Port Taj, you could always buy my External Boxed fully functional 2GB SCSI JAZ drive. :p

Heck, if you want to be really corporate, I can sell you a SCSI Tape device, but you'd need an external box for it & I have one of those too! :D

Kin

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
As you have a SCSI Port Taj, you could always buy my External Boxed fully functional 2GB SCSI JAZ drive. :p

Heck, if you want to be really corporate, I can sell you a SCSI Tape device, but you'd need an external box for it & I have one of those too! :D

Kin

Cheeky sod ;) lol

But you do make a good point, Ive got an external SCSO HDD somewhere that I could copy it all to, nice one Charlie! (y)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Aha! - There you go m8y. Once the old grey stuff get's going, there's no stopping! :LOL:

Best wishes fella,

Charlie

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
I always use the following technique that never failed me :)
You open a CLI windows and change to the drive you want to backup, then you LHA to the Compact Flash drive. (I use USB Drive but any drive will do).
Code:
1> DH0:
1> lha -aezrx a CF0:system.lha #?
That will make a "system.lha" file under drive CF0: (without compression) maintaining the protection bits/dates etc.
If you need it compressed then you just replace "z" with "Z" on the LHA Command.

Just as an extra comment:
If you wanna update an old system.lha file with new files (without recreating it from scratch) you can issue the following command (using "u" instead of "a"):
Code:
1> lha -aezrx u CF0:system.lha #?
That will update all new files and update changed files to the archive, but sadly it won't delete the files that were deleted in the original drive.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
^^^^^^

Ah, Appendage.... Great idea Mfilos. :nod:

Kin

Top Bottom