HELP! Setting up Netgear MA401 wireless card on A1200

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
Hello. I'm going nuts, just had to walk away from the Amiga before something got thrown across the room... (this isn't retro computing, it's FRUSTRATION computing!)

Anyway, I need a hand setting this network card up. Here's where I am:

running OS3.9 on A1200 with Blizzard 1230 50Mhz + 64MB RAM
Installed prism2 stuff
entered C:CardReset and C:CardPatch into startup-sequence
Reduced router security to WEP
entered C:SetPrism2Defaults SSID xxxxxxx KEY xxxxxxxxxxxxx to startup-sequence
Assigned static IP for wireless card MAC address on router
ran Genesis wizard, entered IP details (for Amiga and router)

Now, when I start the Genesis stack, it says it's online. But when I open AWeb there's no connectivity.

GARGH!

Can someone help me troubleshoot this please? Will be eternally grateful.

Other Questions:

I understand that this card can operate with WPA security with a firmware update. How would I go about that? especially bearing in mind that my PC and Macs do not have PCMCIA slots.

I would be happy to leave my network security at WPA and just kill it to no security whenever I wanted to take the Amiga online. Reading the guide with prism2 there is a NOKEY setting, does this work? I found a couple of refs on google where people have not had luck with it.

The card itself, the link light sometimes flashes, sometimes stays bold. What does this mean?

Frustatedly yours,
S

dabone

AmiBayer
Country
United Stated
Region
Chattanooga, TN 37421
Is your network configured with WEP or WPA?
The prism driver only works with WEP and not with a passphrase.
You must enter the actual HEX key for your network and it will be 10 digits. A prime example is the test network I used to setup my 1200
WEP encryption, key is DEADBEEF00.

Later,
dabone

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK

OK, first question. I haven't done that guide yet, figured I'd try a ping on what I've already done. In shell, typed ping 192.168.0.1 for my router. Shell says ping: unknown command.

Any idea?

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

Is your network configured with WEP or WPA?
The prism driver only works with WEP and not with a passphrase.
You must enter the actual HEX key for your network and it will be 10 digits. A prime example is the test network I used to setup my 1200
WEP encryption, key is DEADBEEF00.

Later,
dabone

My network is, for preference, WPA but like I said, I understand that this isn't an option for this card (at the moment). So I've moved to WEP. Had it on ASCII rather than HEX so have amended that and put the new password in the startup-sequence.

Don't know if it's worked, can't ping. Still no connectivity from AWeb so I'm guessing not.

S

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
let me check when i get home tonight, but i seem to remember there is a problem with the Genesis that came with os3.9, "i'll be back" as they say

Countraven

Country
GREECE
As I have spent many days of my life trying to make this exact card to work, I have to advice you to put the SetPrism2Defaults command on User Startup and not Startup Sequence. It may sound childish but this way it worked for me. Only Amiga knows why :)

PLUS: Use a text key. 13 characters should be enough.
PLUS 2: Use MiamiDX it seems to more friendly with the wireless stuff.

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK

Just followed that step by step and it's wrecked my computer, I shit you not.

Got down to step 55 and still could not use ping. Rebooted and all of the stuff User-Startup was actioning came up with "file is not executable". Checked what I'd put into User-Startup, all as it should be, figured I'd backtrack and comment everything out and leave it till later, then found out I can't edit what I'd just done, other than in User-Startup. Commented out the AmiTCP stuff there, computer went into a mad cycle of rebooting, guru error, rebooting, guru and so on.

All in all, getting aggravated now...

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

As I have spent many days of my life trying to make this exact card to work, I have to advice you to put the SetPrism2Defaults command on User Startup and not Startup Sequence. It may sound childish but this way it worked for me. Only Amiga knows why :)

PLUS: Use a text key. 13 characters should be enough.
PLUS 2: Use MiamiDX it seems to more friendly with the wireless stuff.

Will give it a go!

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
that's a bit weird, i was running the same setup as you (060 not an 030) but i never had that problem, can you post your user startup/ s startup?

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
that's a bit weird, i was running the same setup as you (060 not an 030) but i never had that problem, can you post your user startup/ s startup?

Nope, too late. The OS was completely tw***ed. Tried to rescue it but no joy. Going to have to format and start from scratch...

This Amiga lark is incredibly irritating. I'm sticking with it though because hen it all starts to finally make sense and WORK AS IT SHOULD then that will be very satisfying. Hopefully that day is not too far into the future.

Anyway, thread stands, I'm going to run into the same headaches when I come to get that wireless card working again, so any thoughts. I think I will try Miami this time...

S

Last edited by a moderator:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ stevecole

This is all about real computing, when you had to learn the hard way; people have been spoilt by Micro$haft's automated install discs for too long..

You'll know what I mean when you feel that sense of achievement and l33tness when you finally crack it.

(y)

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
@ stevecole

This is all about real computing, when you had to learn the hard way; people have been spoilt by Micro$haft's automated install discs for too long..

You'll know what I mean when you feel that sense of achievement and l33tness when you finally crack it.

(y)

Oh yeah, when it all comes good it'll be awesome and I'll be chuffed. In the meantime though it's an absolute nightmare. The learning curve isn't steep, it's vertical.

And sorry re language, i forgot myself. Posted that moments after giving up for the day in a fit of rage and a bout of "anglo-saxon" language. Will type more carefully in the future.

Countraven

Country
GREECE
@stevecole

Take it easy man. You will simply not remember the bad times when you will have managed to make it work. And you will be more happy cause you did it alone. that is the fan of the whole think. I have spent over a week for trying to make this work under OS4 and another 3-4 days under MorphOS. 3.9 wa slast but I have alreayd learnt the lesson so less time was needed.

Well it is the time you just need to learn the tricks of the Amiga / each AmigaOS / each program's behavior. The next time you need to do ti again, just know what to do so you set the whole thing up in minutes.

Follow my tips and use Miami, you will not regret it.

Chris

Top Bottom