Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi All!

Having a little trouble seting up the screenmodes on my new Mediator setup but I'm making progress!

I'm working outside the case for the sake up setting up the hard drive, etc. I've setup the mediator and installed the drivers off the CD and ran the Config program. I selected the driver for (Voodoo 5500pci) as I think thats the card I have (this could be the problem) Theres no marking on the card as to the make but looking on google at images it appears to be the card I have.

I've installed Picasso 96 and am now at the point of setting up screen modes. I can at least get a display (which I couldn't do with the CV64) so I've made progress but as per the screen shots its not very good lol

Any idea where I've gone wrong? I've tried 640x480 and 800x600 with all colour schemes. I've setup the frequencies as per the manual for my TV.

Thanks in advajnce for any help...

Heres some pics:

IMG_8043.jpg

IMG_8047.jpg

IMG_8048.jpg

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Please post your tvs modes and frequences. I'll have a look tomorrow in Picasso96 mode on how to proceede. :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks arnljot, heres a pic attached the info taken from the Manual.

However I've also now tried with my Samsung Syncmaster that I use for my PC and its producing the same results. This monitor seems to self adjust whatever frequencies you use whereas the JVC TV needs you to use the exact setting.

Attachments

• display.JPG
    display.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 1

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
p96mode.png

In this picture, click the arrow which comes out of the box, and drop it into the lister below.

Then click that new line, and attach your board to it, repeat the action by dropping a new item into the resolutions.

Select the resolution, and repeat for the listbox to the right.

Now you're at the "meat" of the P96Mode program.

Tweak the settings until the vert and horiz freq match your display using the clock. On low modes you might have to use double scan.

On very high modes or modes with lotsa colours (24bit) you might have to use interlace.

This is all I have time for now, sorry. But I hope you find this usefull.

Attachments

• p96mode.png
    p96mode.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 0
  • p96mode_mode_info.png
    p96mode_mode_info.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 1

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks, but thats exactly what I've done and the display I get is as per the pics :(

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Have you checked that the modes you're trying are supported by the card? Is the card 24 capable at the resolution etc.

Also, I've never had any use for the polarity thingys, try'em :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
OMG It worked for a while then it stopped!

I thought maybe the problem was CWB Copper background so I disabled that and also moved the card to another PCI Slot.

Went back to P96 settings and tried 640*480 and saw the test screen, YAY! So set Workbench to the same mode and it worked (although the picture was rather dark) so I thought I'd try another mode and got that corrupt screen again :(

Restarted and tried 640x480 and now its just the corrupt screen :Doh:

I'm think the Voodoo card is on its last legs, I touched one of the heat sinks and it was extreamly hot.

I think I'll try another Voodoo & report back.

Steve.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
if you have a PC, can you test the GFX card in that ?
If it works in 640x480 and 800x600, which are probably the resolutions you want on the amiga, then the hardware works as should.

if the picture looks the same on PC, I would say it's a bad GFX card.

the heat sink on the voodoo cards tend to get quite hot afair.
not hot enough to smell burnt meat, but hot enough to say OUCH.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
fitzsteve, you know what those screenshots of yours just reminded me off?

When my Radeon 9800 had bust ram chips. Then my screens looked just like yours. I think it could be that, so Tomse is right, try it out in a PC and see what it makes of it.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ steve....

The VooDoo 55500 is a hot card. Leave the lid off &....

....Try CGX4 & kiss goodbye to the :bs:

Kin

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
A pair of fans blowing air into large heatsinks can make wonders for a Voodoo card.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@ steve....

The VooDoo 55500 is a hot card. Leave the lid off &....

....Try CGX4 & kiss goodbye to the :bs:

Kin

hey Kin, I might give that a try, and I don't think the lid can be any more off :ROTFLOL2:

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

Looks like the Voodoo is ok, tried in my PC and it displayed the Bios screen etc ok.

Reports as a Voodoo 5500 PCI + 64mb yay.

I'll try the CGX4 Driver as Kin suggests. I made an image of the HDD before installing the mediator so I'll restore and go from there.

Cheers,

Steve.

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

@Kin can you give me any advice how to setup CGX4 with the Voodoo card?

I've installed the mediator and CGX4 Drivers, with Picasso I had to remame the Monitor file and change the tool type to Voodoo, do I need to do the same now?

Any advice appreciated!

Steve.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
To be fair Steve, what you could be seeing is corruption from hot heatsinks. You should not really be burning your fingers but rkauer is right RE heatsinks with fans. If those blue sinks are glued in place with thermal adhesive, you probably wont get them off. If they're on there with adhesive tape, get the card slightly warm & then twist them carefully to remove.​

These Heatsink/Fan combos will work a treat for you.​

To add to the corruption, it could be a conflict with other Monitor drivers in the Devs:monitor drawer. Be sure you only have the CV46 Icon you renamed Voodoo in there. Also, it's important to edit the Tooltypes in the Voodoo Icon to be specific for your card. If the clockspeeds are not set correctly, you could burn your card.​

I sent a printed tutorial to ravestar with the A1200 PPC Tower I built for him. I kinda wish I'd scanned it tbh. The site from which it was printed is no longer up, but I am sure someone else recently posted a working link, though I can't find it any where? :shrug:​

Maybe a PM to ravestar asking for a scanned copy will help you. It's worth a shot if nothing else.​

Also, when you mention it did work, & now it isn't, that is pointing towards a monitor driver conflict of some sort. Perhaps re-instate your system to where it was prior to installing the Mediator files & start over. Before you do though, drag all your monitors in Devs:Monitors back to the Storage:Monitors drawer & then hit it again from a cold boot. Your Amiga will have a default Pal screen without any Moitor drivers in the Devs:Monitor folder. Be sure you have the Mediator drivers updated to the latest. I attach these for your convenience.​

Good luck fella. (y)

Kin​

Attachments

• MediatorUP3.12.lha
    217.5 KB · Views: 0
  • MM_CD_UP1.31.lha
    174.8 KB · Views: 0

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Does CGXv4 work with Voodoos on the mediator?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Actually Arnljot, I may have been talking tosh there & confusing myself with Picasso IV hardware. :oops:

Kin

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Ah, lets put it to that its weekend and you were either visiting Jack or staying in Chablis ;)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
*hic*

Jack arrived & dissapeared last night m8. I had to have a full English breakfast this morning to recover. :drinkin:

Kin

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I stayed for quite a while in Chablis, eating shrimp. When there was no more to be had in Chablis I went for Côtes du Rhône, it's a nice place too :D

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ fitzsteve

Found the link.....

http://www.elx.neostrada.pl/graphics/graphics1.shtml.htm

Page 2 of the tutorial shows how to set the tool types I mentioned earlier. If you can't set it up from that, either your card is borked or you're doing something wrong.

Good luck again m8.

Kin

*edit*

Elbox appear to have removed the vendors.txt file ffs. :nuts:

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen

Looks like the Voodoo is ok, tried in my PC and it displayed the Bios screen etc ok.

Text modes and GFX modes are not the same thing, you should test the card in minimum 640x480, which means, boot into an OS with graphical interface and see if it works there.

if you have some old PC spareparts with fans (old gfx cards, psu's, CPU's etc) then I'd suggest you use those to cool down your graphics card, a simple hack where you use the red/black wire (they are usually red/black and a third, the third is to adjust the fan speed, don't use this).

if you use a PC PSU, then use one of the wires for floppy/IDE device and attach red to red and black to black (doesn't matter which black you use)

If the fan is a 12v fan (from inside the PSU or attached to the cabinet), you can attach the Coloured to the 12v (yellow on the IDE/Floppy power) and the black to the 5v (red colour) this will give the fan 7V of power, and will make it silent, but still powerful enough to move some air, and cool down your voodoo card.

if you read this and think tomse = :nuts:
but what you do understand seems good, I might make a guide with photos :)

Top Bottom