help with choosing a ppc board for my 4000D

halkx

Country
Greece
Region
Rethimno,Crete
Hi all,

I recently bought this nice A4000D from Megamix (thanks m8...(y))

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=7796

I haven't received her yet but until she arrives I thought I'd search for a nice ppc board addition...(my goal is to try OS4.1 on this machine :nuts:)

I would like some help to identify the compatible boards for the 4000D and their pros and cons...

Thanks

Michael

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Halkx

Congrats on a wonderfull system =)

now theres only one PPC card for the A4000, and that is the Cyberstorm PPC, it has a couple of varients to incarnation too

in its lowest form you can get one with the following official relases-

PowerPC 604e 150MHz and XC68040RC25 (25Mhz)
PowerPC 604e 233MHz and XC68060RC50 (50Mhz)

you can take that even further with the help of stachu100

PowerPC 604e @ 330 MHz + MC68060@66 (or faster)

heres a nice pic to dool over

cyberstormppc.jpg

(thanks to amiga.resource.cx)

halkx

Country
Greece
Region
Rethimno,Crete
thank you my friend...I think I'm going to post a thread in the wanted section....are there any problems/known bugs that I should be aware of??

halkx

Country
Greece
Region
Rethimno,Crete
oops...I didn't do my homework...:oops:

so up to OS4.0 I presume?? and MorphOS??

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
thank you my friend...I think I'm going to post a thread in the wanted section....are there any problems/known bugs that I should be aware of??

Again the Cyberstorm PPC was built by two companies, first Phase5, then DCE after Phase5 keeled over.

The DCE cards can have problems with the way the PPC chip is soldered to the pcb, but again some talented people some of wich spend time on this board can amend that.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Yes, quite a few pointers for these cards. First off, the Pic Zetr0 has posted is not a Stock card. I wonder if Amiga Resource know this fact. :roll:

The pic shows 3 x X-Tals fitted to the board, meaning it is an overclocked card. A stock card will only have 2 X-Tals fitted as in the top pic of this linky.

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=225

If you want to read about Over Clocking your CSPPC card, see here:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~davem2/overclock/csppc.html

If you are lucky enough to acquire one, make sure you flash the Card with the latest Firmware from here:

http://phase5.a1k.org/index.php?id=0

I would also ask why you want to go to the trouble of acquiring a PPC card? - Having owned 2 of them in 2 x A4KD's & one of them in my A4KT (All sold now btw) an 060 @ 50Mhz is faster with iBrowse 2.4 under OS3.9 than a PPC @ 233Mhz under OS4.0 Classic. Everything under OS4 is emulated & it does a terrible job considering the Amiga was the best Emulator in it's day. An 060 Amiga emulating a MAC could out perform the Fastest MAC's. ;)

If you want it just for the nostalgia or even MorphOS, then it might be worthwhile talking to stachu100 as he can upgrade these cards as already explained. However, I doubt it would still be on par with an 060 under OS3.9. I can't vouch for MorphOS as I never had the pleasure, but had the displeasure of seeing OS4 Classic being a load of tosh. Consequently, I sold all three CSPPC cards & switched to a CSMKIII 040 card that was faulty on the socket. The 040 CSMKIII cooks the BGA sockets due to the heat & then you have no contact to the PCB. :| - I did have this card repaired by Anthony Hoffman in New Zealand, along with an 060 upgrade & for not fitting the left most X-tal, killed the cards Logic for overclocking the SCSI III along with the 060. Seeing nearly 40Mb/Sec on the SCSI transfers was my downfall & the cards Logic became fubar, which led to the cards death & the sale of my G-REX 4000D. *sniff*

If you read r0jaws thread here, you'll get some idea of what I'm talking about RE OS4.0 Classic....

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=2816

It all kicks off on page 4 of the thread where r0jaws is barely moderately impressed with OS4. Desktop eye candy is not what a fast Amiga is all about. At the same time though, don't get me wrong here. FPS games such as Quake will run better for the PPC Chip, but the AGA version of Quake on an 060 is very impressive to say the least.

Best wishes to you & hope some of the waffle above is of some help if nothing else. (y)

Kin

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
Yes, quite a few pointers for these cards. First off, the Pic Zetr0 has posted is not a Stock card. I wonder if Amiga Resource know this fact. :roll:

The pic shows 3 x X-Tals fitted to the board, meaning it is an overclocked card. A stock card will only have 2 X-Tals fitted as in the top pic of this linky.Kin
Just to correct Kin: card on the picture is Stock card, not overclocked. I'm 100% sure about it.

Edit:
AOS4.0 is running nice and fast on CyberVision PPC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngJMQ9U1tow
It's really flying: opening jpeg pictures (about 300kB-500kB is 0,2-0,4sec) as you can see.

I can confirm that running AOS4.0 on Zorro III card is not so nice. Even on Picasso IV. But still acceptable.
Using AOS4.0 on AGA will disappoint you. Never try this.

P.S. - You can see me on this video :)

Last edited:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

The pic shows 3 x X-Tals fitted to the board, meaning it is an overclocked card. A stock card will only have 2 X-Tals fitted as in the top pic of this linky.Kin
Just to correct Kin: card on the picture is Stock card, not overclocked. I'm 100% sure about it.

<snip>

Sorry stachu100, but you are entirely wrong. :nod:

CSPPC cards & CS MKIII cards only ever shipped in the following configs.

CSPPC middle X-TAL & right X-TAL

CSMKIII 060 Middle X-TAL only
CSMKII 040 Left X-TAL & Middle X-TAL

If you read the Overclocking thread http://members.iinet.net.au/~davem2/overclock/csppc.html , hopefully you'll figure it out.

The rightmost X-TAL is the PPC Chip Speed.
The middle X-Tal sets the clock speed for the SCSI, the 68xxx & the mobo devices.
To use the left most X-Tal socket, you have to move a tiny resistor to the right of the Memory slots. By doing this, it enables the left most X-Tal socket (which is always empty unless the board has been tampered with) & separates the 68xxx clock speed from the SCSI clock speed. This makes the Overclock safer for the SCSI. If you don't move the resistor & just change the middle X-Tal, I guarantee you will fry the boards Logic eventually. - I know this beacause I fried my CSMKIII for the love of 35Mb/s on the SCSI speed. :|

Also, are you aware there is a bug with the 233Mhz PPC boards? If you read the Over Clocking thread, it mentions this at the bottom of the page & there is a fix on Aminet for it. You can read the info here.

http://de3.aminet.net/driver/other/CSPPC233Fix.readme

I don't know if the faster versions of PPC chip that you fit still have this hardware bug, but your modifications to these boards should be tested with WarpOS & PowerUP for this 233Mhz anomally. ;)

@ halkx

Just another must do with these boards....

If you want to see your Amiga really multitask, ditch the IDE devices in your Amiga & replace everything with SCSI. You will be gob smacked at the overall performance for it. IDE on any Amiga is a big hit on the CPU, even an 060. (y)

Best Wishes.

Charlie

Last edited:

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
The middle X-Tal sets the clock speed for the SCSI & the 68xxx & the mobo devices.
Charlie
Not exactly...
Waht you wrote here is correct for Cyberstorm PPC 060@50MHz and 040@25MHz.
But it's not true for Cyberstorm PPC 040@40MHz where third oscillator 80MHz is used for 040. ;)
Look closer on the above picture what kind of m68k CPU and oscillators are used.
I know that becayse I bought my first CSPPC as 040@40MHz/PPC@233MHz and re-worked this board after.
That is why I wrote that I'm 100% sure.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Now thats the fastest I have ever seen OS4.0 - possibley a little quicker/snappier than OS4.1 on one of them C-Machines I whitnessed at Bletchly!!!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
The middle X-Tal sets the clock speed for the SCSI & the 68xxx & the mobo devices.
Charlie
Not exactly...
Waht you wrote here is correct for Cyberstorm PPC 060@50MHz and 040@25MHz.
But it's not true for Cyberstorm PPC 040@40MHz where third oscillator 80MHz is used for 040. ;)
Look closer on the above picture what kind of m68k CPU and oscillators are used.
I know that becayse I bought my first CSPPC as 040@40MHz/PPC@233MHz and re-worked this board after.
That is why I wrote that I'm 100% sure.

Yes, you are quite correct. I have now changed my post RE the X-Tal positioning for the 040 CMKIII. Aplogies for the mistake. :oops:
I'd completely forgot about the 040 using a Double speed X-TAL for it's architecture.

Eveything else is spot on though. (y)

RE: your Video.

I wish you had actually gone on line with iBrowse 2.4 & not just loaded the default home page from the hard drive. It would at least show me any difference if any at all from my experiences. iBrowse 2.4 under OS 3.9 on an 060 totally smoked iBrowse 2.4 under OS4.0 on a 233Mhz PPC. :nod:

All the Best.

Charlie

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
Eveything else is spot on though. (y)

RE: your Video.

I wish you had actually gone on line with iBrowse 2.4 & not just loaded the default home page from the hard drive. It would at least show me any difference if any at all from my experiences. iBrowse 2.4 under OS 3.9 on an 060 totally smoked iBrowse 2.4 under OS4.0 on a 233Mhz PPC. :nod:

All the Best.

Charlie

That's ok, all of us made a mistake from time to time. ;)

And I'm sorry but I have no internet connection in my basement...
So I cannot check speed of IBrowse 2.4. But hope that owner of this card will do it and share his experience with us.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
@Zetr0 thanks for this. :) I'm more Eastern than Western so sometimes I don't understand slang you are using. ;)

Sorry about that one, just a joke I couldn't help my self from making :oops:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
If it's any consolation for your blush Arnljot, I could feel your humour & is why I posted saying:

....especially with the :ninja: smiley! :LOL:

;)

Charlie

Top Bottom