Help with Cyberstorm Mk III SCSI

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Guys, does anyone know how the scsi works on the Cyberstorm Mk III card? Does it need active termination at BOTH ends of the cable (non standard) or does it required termination after the last device with the cyberstorm card providing the termination at its end?

The Phase 5 manuals are TERRIBLE, someone ought to teach those poor buggers english.

Any help would be appreciated.

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
Cyberstorm MK III requires active termination at BOTH ends of SCSI chain.
Active terminators can be SCSI device with termination jumper set to "ON" or special terminator plugged into last socket of SCSI cable.

As a consequence Cyberstorm MK III CANNOT be connected as last device on SCSI cable.
And it's good to have all devices with 68pin SCSI connector (Wide SCSI).

From my experience I can tell you that sometimes SCSI cable does not have good contact with SCSI connector on Cyberstorm MK III.

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
"The Phase 5 manuals are TERRIBLE, someone ought to teach those poor buggers english."

methinks as they are a german company, they did a decent job on manuals.. More likely the translator did direct translation rather than re-wording.

Scsi has always been a bit confusing to those in the know even.:D

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Yes, well, Ill bet their english is better than my german... but the manual is still terrible. :)

Thanks for the replies guys. My scsi devices have no onboard termination, so it looks like I have to purchase a scsi cable with active termination... AND an extra terminator module to plug in the other end - expensive, but at least I know now it WILL work.

Again, thanks.

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
You can use those 68 pin twisted pair cables that usually have built in Termination packs. For a single hard drive scenario, providing you set termination on the drive, it should work fine. However, adding another SCSI device will cause lock ups on the SCSI bus, so whilst ok for a quick/cheap fix, it's not future proof. ;)

Kin

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
twisted pair cables? What are they?! I have seen 68 pin LVD/SE cables etc, but nothing advertised as twisted pair. Nearly every single ultra wide scsi device I have seen does not have scsi termination as an option, which is the opposite of the older scsi I/II which nearly always DID have scsi termination on board the device.

So, with devices that have no onboard termination, my understanding is that I would require a 68 pin scsi cable with active termination at one end, and then I would have to install another active termination pack on the other with both the scsi device (in this case a Cheetah HD) and the Cyberstorm Mk III in the middle between the two terminations.

Is this correct? Passive scsi termination modules seem to be cheap, but active termination modules are much more expensive. Again, my understanding is that the Cyberstorm Mk III required ACTIVE termination at both ends.

Can someone please confirm all of this, or at least correct what I have wrong?

Thanks. :)

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
twisted pair cables? What are they?! I have seen 68 pin LVD/SE cables etc, but nothing advertised as twisted pair. Nearly every single ultra wide scsi device I have seen does not have scsi termination as an option, which is the opposite of the older scsi I/II which nearly always DID have scsi termination on board the device.

So, with devices that have no onboard termination, my understanding is that I would require a 68 pin scsi cable with active termination at one end, and then I would have to install another active termination pack on the other with both the scsi device (in this case a Cheetah HD) and the Cyberstorm Mk III in the middle between the two terminations.

Is this correct? Passive scsi termination modules seem to be cheap, but active termination modules are much more expensive. Again, my understanding is that the Cyberstorm Mk III required ACTIVE termination at both ends.

Can someone please confirm all of this, or at least correct what I have wrong?

Thanks. :)

Spot on! (y)

This is the twisted pair cables Kin talking about:
http://www.ambry.com/page/search.asp...mber=5184-3867
On top of that tihs cable is equipped with active terminator on one end.

Another bunch of twisted cable examples (some with active terminatiors at the end)
http://www.cablesdirect.com/search_r...0UltraSCSI/LVD

Rest what you said is correct.

:thanks:

Kin

Top Bottom