Help with NOT buying a Turbo Chameleon 64

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Hey guys.

I'm currently holidaying close to Almeria, Spain and and considering visiting the shop of Amigastore.eu, which is only 40 mins away, to buy a Chameleon 64.

For the sake of my marriage can anyone please give me some great reasons why I SHOULDNT buy one of these expensive devices?

I'm a crazy impulse buyer and love the look of these things! Sadly as my missus keeps telling me, I'm 'out of lives' as far as buying expensive items for retro gear goes!

So please people tell me how crummy, buggy and unsuitable these things are!

Any replies appreciated!

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
Spend the same amount of money on a seriously good spanish meal, good wine, romantic restaurant etc with her and she might give you an "extra life" for a Chameleon. On the other hand, although I was impressed with the design and capabilities of the Chameleon, I found I used it extremely seldom.

Bryce.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I honestly don't see the draw of the Chameleon. So far as I know, when using the VGA output, your C64 is a throughput device to an FPGA version of the C64 hardware running within the Chameleon. This means the C64 really isn't doing anything. I don't know if the SID is emulated at that point or if it's using the SID in the computer. I also think it's quite gaudy looking. :)

For half the cost, you can get a 1541 Ultimate II. For my money, it's the best bet. (y)

This is just my opinion and I'm sure others may not agree with it.

Heather

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
1. The Chameleon still officially isn't finished (quelle surprise there).
2. Support is lacking (as it is with a lot of a certain person's projects).
3. Get an SD to IEC device and use your original drive, if it still works.
4. Alternatively, get a Raspberry Pi, load up run Chameleon Remix and emulate a lot more machines than a C64, including MAME.

Is that enough reasons?

YMMV.

Last edited:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
save your money...lots of better stuff to get than this lol

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
All of the above should be reason enough not to buy it. So now... You're in Spain, with your wife, with the price of a Chameleon in your pocket. Go out and treat her for being so understanding of your hobby in the first place :)

Bryce.

deladrevoc

Country
England
Region
Hampshire
I honestly don't see the draw of the Chameleon. So far as I know, when using the VGA output, your C64 is a throughput device to an FPGA version of the C64 hardware running within the Chameleon. This means the C64 really isn't doing anything. I don't know if the SID is emulated at that point or if it's using the SID in the computer. I also think it's quite gaudy looking. :)

For half the cost, you can get a 1541 Ultimate II. For my money, it's the best bet. (y)

Heather

I agree, the 1541 U2 Rocks. Don't ruin your holiday, prolong your marriage :cool:

Don't even visit the shop. Resist.

Last edited:

tbtorro

As you wish.
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sjæland
I think you should get 2 of them, one to use and one for reserve. And get the docking station and an RR net while you are at it.. :devil::LOL:
If all hell breaks loose you could always sell one of them and say "Look, I'm cutting down on the hobby!"

Last edited:

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Haha awesome replies guys thanks !

Yeh I have decided I can't justify this purchase!

I may however go get an RR-Net cartridge then look into a 1541 U-II.

Thanks!

cugar124

Country
England
Region
Norfolk
Lol so u want to be single easy buy the unfinish over price piece of junk that that certain person will never finish and charge stupid amounts for i suppose u could cuddle it on a cold night or take it on holiday or even take it to bed and then tell it how much it means to u lol. Put the person first and make a compromise its far more fun than being single take it from me.

Half-Saint

AmiBayer
Country
Slovenia
Region
Ljubljana
I'm a crazy impulse buyer and love the look of these things! Sadly as my missus keeps telling me, I'm 'out of lives' as far as buying expensive items for retro gear goes!

If this isn't a good enough reason, I don't know what is.

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Hehe true! But as I said, my impulsiveness some times over comes my common sense - of which I seem to have none at the best of times!

Regards

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
the Chameleon looked interesting, but for the price i would rather have 2 kitted out C64s.... (which i do, for the most part :LOL: )

Jepplen

Country
Sweden
Region
Stockholm
I agree with the previous poster, spend the money on the missis and replenish some lives for the next purchase.

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
On the other hand, 20 years from now your retro gear will only have appreciated in value... :LOL:

Dream on! In 20 years, when we've left the retro scene, the next generation will consider PS4 to be retro and our stuff are just dusty old antiques.

Bryce.

motrucker

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Annapolis, Maryland

Heather

I agree with you. Jens is apparently thinking about creating a 16Mb REU project that would take of that one aspect of the Chameleon :
http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36367&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=225
This thread went for some time over on Lemon 64

Top Bottom