Hey Y'all - A new passion for Amiga gaming brings me here!

ActRaiser

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Suffolk
Hi guys

I have just joined Amibay as I have recently rediscovered Amiga gaming using original hardware..

But first.. A little bit about me. I am 34, I live in deep, dark Suffolk with my gorgeous girlfriend and we are both creative types.. me a music producer and DJ and her a 3D animator and expert in motion graphics! I have always been a retro gamer through and through and have owned pretty much every console worth owning at some point. I have had phases where I buy loads of stuff and play the games every day, then it dies out a little and I love onto the next thing. It happened with Mega Drive and SNES.. and now it is happening with Amiga - though I feel more passionate about this wonderful machine that the consoles.

I first owned an Amiga 600 in 1993 when my father bought me the Weird & Wild pack. I absolutely loved the graphics - a huge step up from my C64.. and I loved the colourful and exciting platform games with their jaunty music and far more detailed worlds.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I bought a massive load of stuff from a guy selling his gaming stuff from his garage. I bought a ZX Spectrum 128K with a billion games for £** and , while there, I asked him if he had anything else.. he did! He opened a box with an Amiga 600, an external disk drive, all the leads, and loads of unboxed original disks such as Monkey Island and Superfrog. I asked immediately how much he would like for it. His answer? *** pounds! Needless to say I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough!

I had, however, purchased this stuff to make a little money for Christmas, so I foolishly sold it on Ebay for £**. Far, far too cheap (I am still kicking myself). But it had ignited a passion within me and I knew I wanted to get another Amiga.

I then bought one from Ebay for £** and bought a GOTEK USB Floppy Drive. I installed it and BOOM.. all my favourite games played from a USB stick! Fantastic! Unfortunately the Amiga died about a week later, so I bought another one for £** (console only as I already had the leads and joystick etc.). Next up from a custom made RGB scart lead from Retrocable.com and I was blown away by how crisp and beautiful the new image was! I then located and collected a free old CRT TV from a local gumtree ad and set it up in my lounge!

Next up was a chance meeting with an Amiga fan who was selling his gear. I now have a further two Amiga 600s - both in immaculate white condition and one an A600HD - with custome made PSUs, 1Mb chip RAM expansion, several PCMCIA SRAM cards and compact flash cards with disks and adapters. This kindly fellow has been a huge source of useful information.

Several bulk games purchases and another Amiga (a 500+ Cartoon Classics pack) later and I now have a pretty decent selection of stuff. Here is a quick snap of most of it.. notice the external disk drives on the shelves on the left ;)

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq260/DrStrafe/20150115_191830_zps73115697.jpg

So, that's me and my Amiga love!

I hope that I will get to meet fellow enthusiasts here and be able to chat Amiga, get some handy tips, and possibly do some swaps and whatnot - I am looking to start buying some old issues of Amiga Power magazine - my choice mag back in the 90s!

Catch you later

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Welcome to AmiBay.

I've had to remove your quoted prices as this is seen as price driving. A strict no-no on AmiBay

CrazyC

Damn these amiga bills keep adding up
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Kent
Top Bottom