Hi!

User2921

Deactivated
Deactivated
So...Hi! I'm new to the Amiga world. Picked up a 2000HD for $xxx. Since then, I've put a 3.1ks rom in there, ordered wb3.1 install disks, the os3.5 official cd, and I also picked up the os3.9 cd. I look forward to becoming more familiar with the amiga!

So, I got turned on to the whole thing via the BBS world. I run an old style telnet bbs, using daydream for linux. I have always liked the ami/x style of art and bbs'ing, so it was a natural fit. I set up amiexpress in E-UAE and had two telnet nodes going at once, but it was problematic and ate up all my processor power. In the future, I hope to put a bbs up on the Amiga, Just need to take care of some stuff first.

Anyone got any pointers?

Last edited by a moderator:

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
NoordHolland, Far side of civilisation's border.
Dear ESC,

welcome.
about pointers..me thinks a BBS would require some ram, harddisk and processorpower, so you might want to keep a keen eye on the for sale section.

Grtz, PymerOne.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
So...Hi! I'm new to the Amiga world. Picked up a 2000HD for $xxx. Since then, I've put a 3.1ks rom in there, ordered wb3.1 install disks, the os3.5 official cd, and I also picked up the os3.9 cd. I look forward to becoming more familiar with the amiga!

So, I got turned on to the whole thing via the BBS world. I run an old style telnet bbs, using daydream for linux. I have always liked the ami/x style of art and bbs'ing, so it was a natural fit. I set up amiexpress in E-UAE and had two telnet nodes going at once, but it was problematic and ate up all my processor power. In the future, I hope to put a bbs up on the Amiga, Just need to take care of some stuff first.

Anyone got any pointers?

Hello and welcome to Amibay! The A2000 is pretty awesome and very expandable if that's your thing. If you want to take it online, you'll need a network card and probably a CPU accelerator card with some Fast RAM to make it meaningfully usable (You'll need a CPU card for OS 3.5/39 as well)

You're definitely in the right place for Amiga hackery and shenanigans, we've got quite a community here so you'll stand a fighting chance of finding any upgrades your heart desires as well as all the advice you can eat. :)

P.S. I've had to make a minor moderation to your post above, we've got some pretty peculiar rules here about prices and discussing them, please grab a coffee and have another look over the rules. The price-driving stuff might seem a little weird at first, but trust us when we say "it works".

(y)

User2921

Deactivated
Deactivated
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm definitely keeping my eyes open here for some things to pick up.

Andy - sorry about the little ... well, we'll call it a typo :)

Anyone have any bbs pointers specifically? I like amiexpress, but am thinking either daydream or zeus may be a better idea. Is daydream capable of telnet? It took some hackery to get amiexpress working with telnet, and I know daydream was ported to linux before long and development for the amiga port ceased quickly. Just wondering.

Top Bottom