roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
i was running the hot water today and it started to come out like a rusty colour.

i told my wife and we both went outside to see if anyone was working on the mains water supply,low and behold someone was..
my wife went out to see what was going on,my wife asked them what was going on?,the guy said to my wife"we were flushing a sewage pipe" and then said something like it run for five minutes,and disappeared in the truck up the road..
erm,a few questions come to mind,how does sewage end up in the drinking water if only the sewage pipe was being flushed?,second,why wasnt we told that this was happening?
no warning,nothing...

i actually thought at first that it was rust from our boiler,now im really worried...

EDIT: we wasnt told it was sewage,i was just worried that it could be as we wasnt told what it was in the water.

Last edited:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
apparently it was sediment and minerals in the water not sewage,still i wonder though why we wasnt told.

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
From experience in my building, whenever the main water supply is closed (for any reason) and re-opened again, rusty water comes out.
This usually clears up after a minute or so.

I was told this happens due to the pipe infrastructure in old buildings, which is made or iron instead of plastic.

ratfink

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
we have the same, the sediment builds up in the pipes over time, when they disturb it, the water goes cloudy or even rusty for a while. they ought to warn you though.

hooverphonique

Country
Denmark
Region
Fyn
that's very common in old buildings/infrastructure if the supply has been shut off - just let the water run for a little while.

Last edited:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
When water is shut off around here the water is very cloudy and white when the supply is reconnected because of the high limescale/chalk content here. Running it for a few minutes clears it up. Probably similar where you are.

However, if they were shutting off your water, or doing any work on the pipes they should have put a letter through your door before they began. We normally get a letter a few weeks before.

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
I asked about this a few years ago, when it happened in our place. The explanation I got:

A horizontal pipe will have a layer of sediment that lies along it's "floor". As long as the pipe is full of water (ie: no air) the sediment will not budge. If air enters the system for any reason, be it water turned off for a few hours, or another pipe added which allowed air into the system (probably what happened in your case, because they probably flushed the sewer with water from the mains), then the "wave" of new water re-filling the pipe causes the sediment to rise and mix with the water.

Sounded plausible to me at the time. I don't think they would be required to inform you about this work, as the work didn't involve your supply directly, they were just tapping off the mains.

Bryce.

Last edited:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
True. If they are just doing work in the road that is not directly affecting your property's supply they don't need to inform you.

In my area I'm actually surprised out water hasn't gone cloudy or dirty in the last couple of years as wev'e had a lot of building work in our area with a few small developments (less than 6 houses each) being built, and currently a large development of about 70 houses in our village . Although because our whole area has flooded twice since 2012 it probably washed out the whole system anyway. Plus since then the whole of our water system has been power cleaned out from our location all the way through the system to ensure no blockages cause another flood, so probably as clean as new now.

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
That is scary without Warning !!!

They should let people know and why there is no warning!!???

Top Bottom