how did you get started?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Many, many years ago (yes i am that old) my girlfriend at the time (wife now) bought me a C64 i loved the thing, even the cassette loading time was good 'cause i could go make a coffee while it loaded, then one day a friend came round with his Amiga A500, and he put this little disk in the side of it and before i knew it the game was running, that was it i was hooked, i then had a A500, then a A500 plus and then a A1200, but the one i really wanted was a A4000, but being poor that never happened, now i'm (a lot) older i thought right lets get a A4000 and so i did, now it seems i bought it at the wrong time lol i paid a fortune for it and now it seems they aren't worth what they once were lol typical.
and now once again things have changed and i realised i don't get the use from the A4000 that someone more creative could (i'm basically a gamer) so it's time to go back to being a A1200 user, but then again the sam440 with OS4.1 is almost here.............. as so the journey continues lol
So back to the question, what got you hooked in the 1st place?
cheers, JuvUK

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Re: how did you get started?

for me it was when my brother and I spent a summer with my aunt and uncle.... he had an A500 with 1MB ram upgrade and Sword of Sodan, OMG :shock: the graphics... the music, sounds .... it was like having an arcade in the front room!!!!

then out came the 4 player adapter and we were all playing Gauntlet 4 player, how awesome was that?!..... well.... I had to get one from then on... so my brother and I got a joint Christmas present that year ;) :D and that began the road that i travel on now...

I got into music writing and C programming and found that the A500 even with 1MB was limited so I eventually got an A1200 (in between gaps my brother and I also got an A600 and Atari ST, both great machines) but the A1200 I got (on the day of its European launch) was and still is AMAZING, hard to believe you could buy a PS3 now for less money than the A1200 was back then, and doesn't include the interest conversion either?! :shock:

Its quite ironic how i got into collecting Amiga's though and its quite funny; up until a couple of years ago, I would never of said I was a collector of anything.... and then it dawned on me... I collect Amiga.... freaky...

as my friends were sheding thier old computers (amiga etc) to buy these expensive PC's (pieces of crap) they would offer me their existing Amiga setups for very low amounts of money so i bought them and stored them.. and thats how it happend.

I have always had a soft spot for the Big Box Amiga, the A2000, A3000 and A4000, the A2000 because it really was the Daddy back in the day, the A3000 had the looks and that yummy SCSI and Amber chip, and the A4000.... well.... you know as well as I its like the holy grail of Amiga. Owning one puts you in that elite special club somthing that has always eluded me.

All are beautiful machines.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

Back through the mists of time.

I was tinkering with electronics from the age of 10, & got my first soldering Iron about then, (no scalectrix for me). Enjoyed building loads of analogue & digital circuits and then in early1980 my best friend called to say his new computer had arrived BUT there was a problem.
Having seen the schems of Tangerines & Nascoms in electronics mags, I wondered why he got a computer as he was not electonically minded at all????
So I went over & my dear friend had indeed ordered & received an ACORN ATOM, in KIT form (whoops). he was quite upset because he did not have a clue & was panicing over wasting his hard saved cash. Never mind out with the soldering iron, and a whole weekend carefully soldering & inserting keys & chips, then the magic moment came, connected to his old TV, we powered up & turned the tuning control frantically, The image appeared, frame rolling but we could see the Words ACORN ATOM going up & down the screen, my friend was half excited & half panicing again, it's working but it's broken the pictures wrong. Oh well round the back of the TV quick tweak of the frame hold & then we just stared at the screen for 10mins & pushed every key on the keyboard to see it working.
Not bad for a pair of 12 tear olds :D
I was hooked, my friend went on programming & is now a software programmer, we both learnt 6502 assembly & eventually upgraded to BBC Model B's.
Well Model A's actually but I upgraded them both with xtra 16K, 6522 VIA (needed for software timing) & Disc Interfaces, & adding the ports as we went along & needed them.
I ended up doing upgrades for all the Beeb's at my school as well.
My friend went from Beeb To Archie's, I got an A3000, but then fell in love with the A500, the whole custom chip philosophy & OS were streets ahead although ACORN's OS did set standards too. Got my First A500 in 1987 (still have it boxed), then got an A1200 as soon they were launched the Amiga I had been waiting years for, AGA was fantastic even though starting to show it's age.

I always wanted a big Box Amiga but could never afford it even though I almost bought an A1000 on appro from a friend who had an A2000 in 1990 I returned it as my heart was set on the next gen AGA machines on the horizon, I wanted an A2000 & almost got an A1500 but waited patiently for the A1200.

I have collected quite a few systems over the years, building up some BBC & Commodore systems that would have been impossible for me to buy in my Teens.
Finally got An A2000 this year (2 at the same time actually sigh). also went 030 & 040 on my A1200's too, But I would love an A4000 that is my Ultimate goal.

So system wise..

Acorn, 1xAcorn Atom, 4xBBC Model B's expanded, 1xMaster turbo, 1xMaster 512, 1xMaster Std, 1xA3010, 2xElectrons with Disc.

Amiga, 2xA2000 / 030 & 68000, 3xA1200 / 040/030/020, 2xA500, 1xA500+, 1xA600, 1xCD32

Many various other systems including Full C64+Disc, Memotech MTX512, ZX Spectrum

& it goes on..............

TC :mrgreen:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

see, this is getting some good responses already!!! keep 'em coming :D

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg

Back in 1989/1990 a school friend had an A500, and I decided I had to had one too. Saved up some cash and late 1990 I bought my very first Amiga. At first I used it to play games, but after reading some magazines I got interested in productivity stuff as well and I bought 2.1 ROMs, a harddisk and a few years later a modem. Some 5 years later I got myself an A2000 and in 1997 an A3000, which I sold (sadly) in 2002. In 2006 the Amiga bug started to itch again and since then I have owned about 30 different Amigas, but as of this moment I have just 2 miggies, but they are almost completely maxxed out.

Apart from the Miggies, I've got a few C64s (never had one until last year so I'm still a n00b when it comes to these machines) and I've got one windows box (still my first pc ever - bought it in 2002 and it's still working, strangely enough :))

stealth7o2

Country
New Mexico, USA

In the mid 80's my dad got the household a C64, an audio tape drive and a 1541. Toss in a number of issues of Compute's Gazette and "How to Program Basic on the C64" and I was hooked. Add another 1541, a modem, some bb's and dozens of boxes of floppies later and we had outgrown the C64. And along comes the Amiga. One A500 (with fat Agnus), more local BBS's and being the only kid on the block without a PC and I was a hit. Everyone loved Stunt Track Racer, Lemmings and Sky Chase. I played with CrossDos and continued to use only the Amiga until my junior year in HS when I got a PC (it was for 'collage' supposedly). By the time I graduated I was interested in getting a A300 but I was broke and off to the Navy.. Cut ahead 6 years (now about 2000), I get out and continued to work in the computer field but find that the Amiga (and Commodore) had died. My interest was rekindled with the release of AOS4 and reading "On the Edge: the Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore" and started wondering about getting back into an old used Amiga and playing around with it. A few searches on the local 'craigs list' type tool and now I have a A1200HD that is getting outfitted with a 4G Cf, Blizzard 030/50 (with FPU), Delphina and I'm placing my order for the Indivision AGA 1200 tonight.

I think it's fantastic that there is still a strong following of people with these machines and it's amazing how much can be done with them. I recently ordered an older MacMini just to play with AmigaOS4 and some of the other PPC OS's that I have been reading about. I almost bought a new (in original box, never opened) C64 on E-Bay a few weeks back, but that went for over $300. More then the MacMini. Cool, but not that cool. heheh

I still use PC's regularly (FreeBSD, Linux and Windows), it's what I do for a living, but it's fun to tinker and play with machines that where simple, worked and brought hours of enjoyment..

Cheers!

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

well i must say i expected more replies than this, lack of mods stories on here i notice :wink: lol

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Sorry. this is long! :LOL:

For me it all began at the arcades. Everywhere you went at the very end of the 70's and beginning of the 80's you would find arcades and my Dad would give me a pile of 10 pence pieces and let me have some fun. Playing Space Invaders, Galaxian, Galaga, Donkey Kong, and Pac-Man. And one favourite of mine was always Q*bert.

Some neighbours over the road also owned an Atari 2600 and when we visited, their kids (who were a few years older than me), would load up some games for me to play. A few years later they gave me the Atari 2600 and I've still got it and it still works.

A friend of my parents also worked for IBM at the time, and when we would visit their house he would load up the latest games he had and let me play them whilst they chatted. That was one of the original early IBM PCs with the huge desktop case and 5.25" drives. A model 5100 series IBM PC I think.

Then at infant school we got an Acorn BBC A and that got me really interested in computers. A couple of friends then got BBC B's at home and I would go round after school to play some games. Another friend then got a ZX Spectrum, and again we would play some games after school.

Then in 1984 my parents could see that computers were going to be important in the future, and so decided to save up to buy me one that Christmas. They didn't have any money so it was a big thing for them. We visited some stores together and initially they wanted to buy an Acorn BBC Micro as the schools were using them and they thought that would be the best. However they were expensive and they just couldn't afford one. They were then thinking of buying me a C64, as mum is very musical and she was impressed with the music bundle that included the musical keyboard that fitted over the C64's keyboard. However they then saw the new (in 1984) Amstrad CPC464 computer which came with its own colour monitor. And as they would have needed to also buy me a TV for any of the other systems they decided the Amstrad was the better value computer, so I ended up getting an Amstrad CPC464 with colour monitor for Christmas 1984.

Being the only person I knew with a CPC I couldn't swap or copy games for it. So I had to buy games when I could afford them. And not being able to buy many I started to copy the code listings included in magazines. I also got books out of the local library. Most were for the BBC or Spectrum, but I noticed the code was very similar so played around changing it until it ran on the CPC.

Then my school got a BBC Master and started to do some very interesting things with it. Connecting a mouse up to it (not the mouse we use today, but a physical device on wheels with sensors that could negotiate a maze) and we were allowed to try and write using a simple language to control it. And after being involved with the Doomsday project we then got a laserdisc player to access the project and that was really the first thing that showed me some future possibilities of computers and got me interested in computer multimedia.

Going to secondary school in 1985 I made lots of new friends who had computers. One as really into the ZX Spectrum and it was often at his house that I would first get tom play most new game releases. I would then buy the best ones for the CPC and he would then come round to play the better versions of the same games. We also visited arcades together throughout the late 80's to play all the latest games. The arcade in Portsmouth/SouthSea was the best in the area and we would go there by train.

In 1987 our secondary school got the new Acorn Archimedes. These were the 300 and 400 models. These computers were way ahead of anything else I'd ever seen. The Arthur OS (later RISC OS) was miles ahead of anything I had used before, and it was the first time I got to use a mouse and WIMP based OS for any length of time (I had played around on Macs before this).

The Archimedes instantly made me decided I needed to move into this new evolving 16-bit era. I had been reading a lot about the Atari ST during its development, and continued to follow it via magazines. I didn't know much about the competing Amiga at the time as most cross platform UK magazines at the time were not covering it as much as the ST. However I realised the Amiga was more powerful and the games were better, but it cost £100 more than the ST, and games were released on both platforms. I saved up for most of the year and my parents gave me £100 (that year's Christmas present) towards it, but still didn't have enough money for an Amiga so I ended up buying an Atari 520 STFM in 1987.

I then spent the next 3/4 years as an Atari ST user and really enjoyed the platform. I always knew it wasn't as good as the Amiga, but the games were still good and whilst TOS and GEM were complete crap compared to Workbench or RISCOS, it still allowed me to do word processing using 1st word plus, and it got me into graphical art using a package called Degas Elite. I remember seeing that package reviewed in a magazine and saving up for it, getting the bus into town and reading the manual on the way home, rushing into the house and loading it up. The cycling colour feature used for a waterfall picture really impressed me. I also got hold of STOS (the ST programming language for games that was later ported to the Amiga as AMOS) and spent ages playing around with it, but I never coded games. I used it to create interactive presentations and multimedia programs.

During this time I was visiting the local tip one day and discovered an Amstrad PC 1512 computer. The main system and monitor cases were both cracked but I took it home anyway. And it worked. So I had an old working PC. The first PC compatible I had owned.

Games wise I still looked at the Amiga versions and wished I had an Amiga, but having spent so much on the ST I stuck with the ST. A few friends had A500's and I would play games on them and so I knew what they were capable of.

Then finally in 1991 with the launch of the Amiga A600 I was walking past a Dixons store and noticed the A600 for sale at an introductory special price of £199. I went home and couldn't stop thinking about finally being able to own an Amiga. So I got the bus back into the city centre the same afternoon and bought one! And that was the beginning of my long term love and enjoyment of the Amiga.

The A600 instantly took over from the Atari ST and became my main computer. I used that through college for word processing and graphics, spending money on a digitizer to capture video to do some stop frame animation, and playing loads of games. Then in 1993 I bought an A1200, and then a CD32 on its launch. Before owning an Amiga I had seen the CDTV and had really wanted one, but they were really expensive, so when the CD32 was released I had to have one. Such a shame it never really took off.

Towards the end of the Amiga's life I also bought my first new console. A SNES. In 1994 I think. And one of the original gameboys. I had been looking at the console market the whole time I had owned STs and Amigas and always wanted to be able to play the games they had in addition to the great games on the Amiga. So I finally bit the bullet and got one.

Then at university in 1996 a friend on my course said he was getting rid of his old Amiga as he had just bought a new PC and didn't want it any more. I then discovered it was an A4000 and had to have it. So for £250 I bought the A4000 from him. A great price at the time you have to agree! And it wasn't just the computer. He delivered it to my house and he gave me everything he had for the Amiga. 2 monitors, 3 disk boxes containing over 800 disks, tons of original games and software and loads of extra hardware such as a MIDI interface. That was a great deal.

I then used that A4000 as my main system for the first two years of my university course. However I knew the Amiga was quickly falling behind in capabilities and games were not begin developed or released. So at the beginning of 1997 I bought a Playstation to be able to play the latest games.

But in 1998 at the end of the second year of my university course I knew I needed a good PC as we were doing multimedia design that needed it. Especially for using Macromedia Director, and the newly released Flash. And also so I could get hold of Photoshop for myself to use at home. So I saved all summer and at the end of August 1998 I bought my first new PC. A Pentium 2 400MHz with 256MB ram, 12GB HD, DVD-Rom, 4x CD-RW, 8MB G460 graphics card, 12MB Voodoo 2, Soundblaster audio card, Buz video capture and SCSI card, SCSI A4 flatbed scanner, and 21" CRT monitor. That cost me something like £2600.

That PC was a good investment though as it got me through the final year of my course, and also allowed me to learn Photoshop properly, as well as do video editing, 3D and play the latest PC games. Plus learning web design and many other design related things.

Then in 2000 I decided to buy a Dreamcast. I'm not 100% sure why I decided to get one, but I'm glad I did. Most people just view it as an unsuccessful system, but I loved it. It had some amazing games and I think the DC hardware was really good for the time. Christmas of that year I then got a PS2, and so my buying of every console released began. That soon followed by a Gamecube, and eventually an Xbox.

Since then I've build many newer PCs. And this got me into computer hardware more seriously. I've now build loads of PCs for other people, and regularly fix them for people too.

As for the Amiga. I kept the A600, A1200, A4000 and CD32 and still played and used them alongside the PC. I did lose interest for a bit and packed them all away. But continued to use Amiga emulation. I then started classicamiga.com and the Amiga collecting bug continued. Friends gave me their old Amiga's they no longer wanted, along with software. So I have ended up with A500's and A500 Plus's as well. I also had an A1500 for a while that was given to me when a school was having a clear out. It worked for a while, but it then died, so I sold it for spares. I still would love to own a CDTV though.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

An A500 back in '86 with KickOff, Gods & "It came from the Desert". 8)

It all went pear shaped when I got into Ray Tracing.... :roll:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

did you start with the free Imagine on the front of Amiga Format? lol

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ JuvUK

No m8.....A BBS version of Real 3D! :wink:

But, I did take advantage of the Amiga Format Imagine 3.0 offer! :mrgreen:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

@Kin,
heh me too, spent many an hour using that, and then, i think it was called Vista (landscape renderer) i remember buying an accelerator with a FPU just to do that! lol :D

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Vista was a landscape generator but totally independent & not related to Imagine. you could also get MakePath for Vista & then fly, drive or ride through your rendered scenery.

Heh....pioneering days! :mrgreen:

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg

Kin Hell said:
Heh....pioneering days! :mrgreen:

Yep, it would take another 15 years before Micro$oft came out with their version of Vista so Amiga can still be considered as WAY! ahead of it's time :D :D :D :D

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

....Kin sniggers....

....but it's true! :mrgreen:

Adonay

Country
lund sweden\Haugesund Norway
Region
Skåne

Cant remember what year it started "1991?" i was introdused to the amiga 500 at first beeing as my big brother bought one . The games cought my interest at first such as "stuntcar racer, moonstone, Lotus ,etc". Then my brother got a hardrive "520" and workbench was loaded, I started to understand the AMIGA was more than just a simple game Console . As time moved on we got several amigas in house all of them either 500 or 1200 . Then i got my own (second hand) 1200 in 95, It was a great amiga i used it mostly for mod music files, games and composing in fast tracker II. I even solderd my own sampler and started to record sounds for my music "Rubbish at most at that age". A few years passed while i was always reading about the cool upgrades in english amiga magazines such as : Amiga Format, Cu Amiga. The problem was i could never afford any of those as they were to expensive.

I nearly forgot the Amiga after a while as i got a free second hand 486DX2 66 with games such as lands of lore,quarantine,alone in the dark etc . I Started to do sommer jobs earning my own money while building new x86 systems and came to think about the going amiga again . The only difference now was that i could afford the dream turbo cards and all the other stuff i could remember from the magasines . Not continuing AMIGA was due to my economy not lack of interest.

I rapidly built a nice amiga playing around with newer software and hardware "scandoubbler,1230IV,CDROM". i learned amiga could now do so many things i wouldent imagine it could do before. After that stage alot have happned i have several amiga 1200s 2 towered ones 1 black breadbox and a original one with blizz 1240 and external scsi box.. The last 8 years have given me alot of knowlage about amiga and its os and i enjoy the "classic" amiga more and more although i use a PC for all serious gaming and work today. The amiga remains the toy that is funiest to play around with.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

seems to be a recurring theme, got into amiga games, then left for a while then get back into amigas again at a later date, makes me wonder what will happen to the amiga when our generation has gone??

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Difficult to see, the future is! ...But.....

...When my time comes to pass, just bury me upside down, so the world can kiss my Ass! :mrgreen:

Hessu

Amiga Manic
AmiBayer
Country
Raisio, Finland
Region
Varsinais-suomi

My addiction to games and machines started at in the middle of 70's, don't remember that TV-setups name, but the games were ping pong and tennis :D Then my friend bought some Atari model, which had some kind of a rubber keyboard, then there was C16, Amstrad cpc464 (bought it cause it had it's own monitor), C64, C128, A500, A500plus, CD32, A1200HD and i was drooling after A3000 and A4000 models, but then commodore's mess begun and i bought my first PC. Missed a lot about Amiga's, so when i saw Cloanto's first version of Amiga Forever, bought it and voila, i had nearly real Amiga in my hands again, but still something was missing :( And i had given my old Amiga's to my nephews (what a loss, actually, they did give much care for those:( ) Well, anyways, tried to find A4000 for my needs, but took few years to get one, cause someone were always faster than me :D Oh, and i refuse to calculate the sum of money, that i have spent to computers, during these years :shock: Main usage was creating music and playing game, the music part came with the first Amiga (soundtracker, oh yeah, that was pure fun.) Now i have 2*A4000 in my hands one in a tower and one in a original desktop and 2*PC's, laptop and a gaming rig. Didn't go after any PPC-cards since i want these two babies being as classics as it's reasonable, another story is a purely PPC-computer like SAM... That's all folks, like you see, i have no life too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom