How do i get cd support

the scallyman

Lamebrain
AmiBayer
Country
Newark
Region
Nottinghamshire UK
Hi guys I am building a tower and its just about finished but i dont seem able to get CD support..... ive tried various different proggies from Aminet and fast ata floppies.....any help or advice would be much appreciated

......the scallyman

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
I'm presuming its an A1200 tower project so do you have any IDE adaptor fitted?

You will need one in order to enable CD support.

Last edited:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@the scallyman

okay once you have both devices hooked up (to what ever adapter IDE/SCSI) you will need a CDROM File System (CDFS)

download this: AmiCDFS2.40 IMHO its best out there (and its FREE)

have read of the read me, it explains how to install it.

if you get stuck hit up this thread and we can help out =)

the scallyman

Lamebrain
AmiBayer
Country
Newark
Region
Nottinghamshire UK
Hi guys
Ive managed to put os 3.9 onto a compact flash card and install that way and it seems to have worked .....but got to wipe the HD and do a fresh install.....
Many thanks might be ok now
scallyman

jvdw007

Country
UK
Region
Hampshire
Hi everyone, reviving an old thread here I'm sure you've all heard a hundred times before :ninja:

Anyway, I have a stock a4000/030 at the moment with classicWB on it. I downloaded and extracted the AmiCDFS files off aminet and followed the instructions, as well as looking at this guide but I don't seem to have any cd0: icon appearing on my workbench. When I type cd0: on the shell it says unknown command?!
I've tried setting the cd0 in devs/dosdrives/cd0 for the Unit to 0, 1 and 2 and none work. The device is set to scsi.device.

What I've got on the hardware side is a ide cable for a primary and secondary drive. The primary is the CF-ide HD and is set to master, and the CD and DVD drives I've tried are set to Slave via jumper.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Sorry, things I've noticed so far:
The HD light seems to stay on with the DVD drive set to slave.
Changing the jumper on the CF-IDE from master-slave to slave-master just shows the KS3.1 boot screen and prevent's the HD from loading WB, ie it's not seeing it correctly then it seems.
In devs/dosdrivers/cd0, if I set to Unit 0, I get a CD0:NDOS on the desktop, in addition, when I insert a floppy into df0: I get the MAC0: ???? come up (again I'm presuming incorrect unit number)

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
You have an A4000, so why not installing AmigaOS 3.9 which has already CacheCDFS inside?

Either way, open a CLI and type INFO. This will so you up every mounted device (from floppy to hard disk to CD-ROM).

Did you try just CD: (without '0)? (I've seen that before)

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Device 0 is normally your HD. So I would suggest that it should be 1 or higher. I've got SCSI CD on mine and can't remember what an IDE CD should be.

An icon won't show on your desktop unless there is a CD in the drive - it's not a PC :D

And it should automount once setup correctly but if not the command you need is
Code:
mount CD0:

Dave G :cool:

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Dave is right, but is this supposed to be automounted since it is inside the DEVS drawer?

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
@Phantom

If the Icon is inside
Code:
Devs:Dosdrivers
then yes it should automount.

Dave G :cool:

jvdw007

Country
UK
Region
Hampshire
Thanks guys, I have triple checked my settings and it is correct :)

CD0: shows Not a DOS disk using shell>Info

@phantom - I'm not interested in OS 3.9. I like 3.1 as it's fast and efficient for me and since I'm developing for stock AGA machines, I prefer keeping it "stock", so to speak.

@davideo - I know of the icon not appearing until you've inserted a CD (y) however, I have tried two drives, one being a CD drive, one being a DVD/RW drive, and setting Unit = 0 and 1 and 2 in the CD0 file in devs/dosdrivers/cd0 with no luck.

I will try again though just to ensure I've followed the instructions, though it is fairly straight forward as you just need to copy the relevant files to the correct locations.

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Check the icon tooltypes for the mountlist(s). I had to add the following line before my DVD and CD Writer were recognised using a FastATA board.

Activate=1

jvdw007

Country
UK
Region
Hampshire
@strontiumdog - thanks for the idea. Tried it but still no luck. I'm assuming teh device should be Device = scsi.device ?

I've tried the various Control options but again no luck.
Maybe both the drives are borked. I'll pull the known-to-be-working one from my desktop pc and see if that helps.

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

Well, I have some great news.
I kept trying various files and methods, all to no avail.

I finally recalled IDEFix97 so I thought I'd give it a try. I did the install and it all works! Wow. Now I just need to buy it to get rid of the nag (y)

Top Bottom