woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Hi all,

I've got an interesting problem.
My laptop has quite a bad screen, and Clear Type renders very badly on it.

Anyway, I've turned off Clear Type in the Display Properties, in the IE properties and even turned off font smoothing altogether in the Performance Properties .... HOWEVER .... Windows Live Messenger (aka MSN Messenger) INSISTS on using a font with Clear Type.

I see no option in MSN to turn it off, and the text is almost unreadable :x

Anybody know how to turn this off?

I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3, Windows Live Messenger build 14.0.8064.206 and WLM/MSN is using the Segoi UI font. I've changed the font, and although it makes it more readable, Clear Type is definitely still on!

So, any ideas?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Re: How do you REALLY turn off Clear Type?

Just a stab;

Right click My Computer, select `Properties/Advanced TAB/Performance Settings Button`, & make sure all the relevant entries are un-dotted.

Other than than that kiddo, use your Amiga & say 'f.r.o.' to Messenger. There is an option in Messenger to change font type too. :mrgreen:

Kin

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

Kin Hell said:
Right click My Computer, select `Properties/Advanced TAB/Performance Settings Button`, & make sure all the relevant entries are un-dotted.
Done all that.
It's only MSN that's using ClearType .... everything else isn't .... it's like MSN doesn't care about your preferences and ignores them regardless.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

ClearType is an add-on, as far as I know it's not part of an SP3 setup; it's either been pre-installed or added later.

If it's not on the list in 'Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs', check the 'Add/Remove Windows Components' tab. You should be able to uninstall it one way or another.

If all else fails, install TweakUI and see if that fares better than Add/Remove Programs to get shot of it.

Edit: It's in the 'Add/Remove Windows Components' tab as 'ClearType Appelet Installer'.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

You could always hack the Registry & delete anything to do with Cleartype. - On your shoulders beit. :twisted:

Kin

*edit* ....back ur Registry up first though. :wink:

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901

use an MSN compatible messenger, I used to use gaim for a while, back in 05, but IM is mostly myspace for me. All else I can say is to log in as a super-user (yeah, I know it's a linux term) and try turning it off. If XP was at all like linux, I'd tell you to blacklist the font, but the registry is the best way to go. I would also suggest trying the msn forums for a solution....

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Cleartype is added to XP via the Powertoy, Cleartype Tuner. Even on a bad screen, running the tuner should result in some usable settings. Otherwise you can try uninstalling the powertoy.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

Harrison said:
Cleartype is added to XP via the Powertoy, Cleartype Tuner.
WRONG!

ClearType has come with Windows XP since it's original inclination in 2002 ..... it's built in.
However, back in them days, you could turn it off .... it seems that nowadays, most Microsoft applications ignore the setting to turn off Clear Type.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ woodycool

I think you are discussing from out of your rear end, mate.

I've just done an XP Home software re-install on my PC and installed SP2 and SP3 from separate CDs, as my version of XP Home is an OEM version and is pre-2002. If Cleartype was added to the 2002 version, surely Service Pack 3 should have installed it, which didn't happen, as I had to add it later. Similarly, an XP Pro 2002 install on another machine from a known XP Pro 2002 CD didn't install Cleartype as part of the basic setup either.

As far as I recall it's always been optional as one of the Powertoys, so can you enlighten us as to which 2002 version of XP you have?

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce

Yes, ClearType was introduced in XP but never was on as default nor it was present in the Control Panel (at least to the point of SP2 that I used it).
By installing that cool PowerToy proggie called ClearTypeTuner (like Merlin mentioned) you could find it's icon in the Control Panel and configure it in various ways - I remember even an option for LCD screens that reversed the RGB values.
Maybe this will help?

Yes, the newest version of MSN forces you to use ClearType and you can't do anything about it (as I've read on the interwebz here and there) unless you're into hacking it or... going back to the version that doesn't.

You can also wait for M$ to fix it, or, maybe you can use a different messenger that supports the protocol used in MSN?

I don't know as I only use our local polish gadu-gadu, tlen.pl and 2 versions of AQQ protocols in the newest beta of AQQ2, but I guess some other proggies must support it, no? Miranda? Konnekt?

Personally I like the ClearType mode of the fonts, on 1280x1024 CRT looks great & smooth

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ woodycool

I've just checked my works PC and it's running XP Pro 2002 with SP3 and doesn't have ClearType installed. If it was installed, there would be an icon for it in Control Panel. Therefore, on your machine it must have been added later, unless you have some really odd version of XP that isn't Home or Pro.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

Merlin said:
@ woodycool

I think you are discussing from out of your rear end, mate.

ClearTypeXP.bmp

Display Properties in Windows XP Professional with no Service Packs added

Talking out my rear end, huh?

Merlin said:
@ woodycool

I've just checked my works PC and it's running XP Pro 2002 with SP3 and doesn't have ClearType installed. If it was installed, there would be an icon for it in Control Panel. Therefore, on your machine it must have been added later, unless you have some really odd version of XP that isn't Home or Pro.
Nope, it's a normal XP Professional with no service packs ...... you're obviously not looking hard enough!

Can I make a recommendation ..... please get your facts straight before you tell someone they're talking :censored:

Merlin said:
If it was installed, there would be an icon for it in Control Panel.
There's no icon for it! It's a drop down box option in the display properties!

Shoonay said:
Yes, ClearType was introduced in XP but never was on as default nor it was present in the Control Panel (at least to the point of SP2 that I used it).
Exactly my point! In fact, there's NEVER been a proper control panel icon for ClearType .... you only get that if you install the ClearType Tuner PowerToy.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ woodycool,

Calm down mate!!

Most of my experience with XP to date has been with XP Home, not Pro, OK? The XP Pro 2002 settings on the machines at work have screens pre-configured to Windows Classic settings and we can't change anything apart from screen size. Besides, I only said that I thought you weren't correct in what you were saying; if I was 100% sure about it I wouldn't be thinking, would I?

What happens if you change your screen setting to Windows Classic then, does Cleartype turn off?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

I have the XP PRO version SP3 since zero hour (some years ago), and it didn't came with cleartype as original.

I had to download it for use with Firefox because the original fonts sucks big time.

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce

@rkauer: you didn't download ClearType, it's installed by default in (I dare to say) *EVERY* XP version since pre-SP1, but it's not "on" as default.
You have to either go to My Computer/Properties/Performance (don't remember) or Control Panel/Display Properties/Appearance/Effects to choose it by hand.

What you did download, was a tiny little proggie called ClearType Tuner that came officially from M$ in the PowerToy package or something like that.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

OK, thanks for that, Shoonz.

Now, just suppose that you were to go into Regedit and type ClearType as a search key, could you find part of the registry that allows you to change the key that activates it from 1 (on) to 0 (off)?

Edit: I was close.......this is from Uncle Bill himself......

Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
Locate the following registry key, and then click the registry key:

Word 2003
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Options
Word 2007
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\RespectSystemFontSmooth

Right-click the right window pane, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
Type NoClearTypeNW as the name of the new registry key, and then press ENTER.
Double-click the new NoClearTypeNW key, type a value of 1 to deactivate the ClearType technology, and then click OK.

Note A value of 0 is the same as a null entry, and this value will activate the ClearType technology.
Quit Registry Editor.

This may get woodycool somewhere....

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

I would be guessing Cleartype has got it's roots into the OS purely as the main font in anything Office based. Also puts older OS'es in line with their last cock up, Shista..... & never mind the performance hit. :laugh:

Kin

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

Merlin said:
Word 2003
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Options
Word 2007
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\RespectSystemFontSmooth

This may get woodycool somewhere....
Cheers Merlin, that's EXACTLY the answer I was looking for .... except for one thing .... I don't have either of those reg keys (despite actually having Office 2007 installed)
I have the following: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\ but no RespectSystemFontSmooth key!

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

In that case, I would search the registry but use the search string UseClearType, to see if you can find the little git. Based on my machine which also has Office 2007 on it, I suspect that your target is located in

33, HKCU, Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\main, UseClearType

I've also found this in the registry

UseClearType REG_SZ Yes (Hint: change this to no, maybe.....?)

Deleting or editing those keys should sort things out.

(y)

Top Bottom