How I can plug an RTC on my A4000D mobo?

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
I really need your help guys, as I don't know about this kind of stuff.

My A4000D mobo, has the battery removed for obvious reasons, but I want to plug a new one, not barrel-kind of course, a coin.

What I will need and how I can do that with the minimum of fuss?

:help:

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

I found those two in AmigaKit:

CR2032 Battery Holder: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=724

CR2032 Coin Battery: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=697

Will be a good start?

Last edited:

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
I think I have a ready-assembel coin-battery holder for the A4000D in my office... lemme check it and I'll get back at you, you just have to solder it in the points where the battery was... basically it is just a holder+diode so the coin battery does not recharge :)

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Thanks, pasok-boy. I'll wait for your news then.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
If keropi doesn't have one, I have one for you. It's a kit made by that active german over at amiga.org.

I'll put one in an envelope and send it to you if kerpoi comes up empty handed

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Yup, I have three of those, they were meant for my A4000s, but they now have new batteries from Anthony instead.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
I'm waiting for keropi's packet. Thanks for asking. (y)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
kit

kit

it is an eays do it yourself: (the kit is not needed), but can handful anyway: (so forget the diod turning part)

Mesure the pins you have cut, take a marker (alcohol based) and a multimeter, make sure the red multimeter cable is in the right port, and the black multimeter cable is in the right port on the multimeter.

Any good multimeter will tell you what is + and wat is minus. Mine gives a minus simbol if the red cable is connected to the - on the board.
(if the cable is installed in the multimeter properly) (of course the machine needs to be running)

So know you know the + LABEL it. (the multimeter gave it away)

Take your batteryholder with battery installed do the same there, label the points, with + and - using the multimeter

not for you then:
then take a diode, 2 types exists you wan't a type with the least voltage loss, put it in between (without soldering, temp using tape) see if the diode is in the right position, (by mesuring the voltage) if you do not get full voltage turn the diode. Measure again you should have it almost complete voltage.

if it is turned the diod is a very high resistor, do not be worried it will not smoke :)

Know you know the position the diod should be in.

READ ON:

you should know have a labeld motherboard, a labeld battery holdedr and a soldered diod letting current flow in the right position, but not charging the battery.

So only just soldering the ++ and the --

This method works for lot's of not so technical people like me, what you can realise with this:

Using multiple diode to get voltage loss, (like you have a dead camera battery and the wrong type of battery, using a resistor would not work, since as soon you press record the voltage would be to low)

Using non chargable battery's in chargable apps.

Prevent users from putting in battery's wrong way, if they do it, nothing happens. (no magic smoke)

so the sky is the limit, it is the part to have in your house!

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Keropi's packet arrived yesterday. Everything in perfect order. Thanx m8. (y)

Now, I have to persuade my father to do the "hard" job. :whistle:

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Keropi's packet arrived yesterday. Everything in perfect order. Thanx m8. (y)

Now, I have to persuade my father to do the "hard" job. :whistle:

Where's rkauer ????
Do I see another contender for the 2010 Amibay quote competition.:nod:

TC :LOL:

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Antonis is obviously working hard too these days :)

+1 TC

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
An easy way to check where batteries poles are: positive side have two soldered pins and negative just have one.

This is consistent in all Commodore Amiga motherboards and A501 which uses a NiCd barrel battery.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Ok, the time finally came. I have to buy the coin battery to start the job.

What battery I have to buy for this holder? It's the standard RC2032 coin battery like in every pc motherboards? It's only one model, or different one with different Volts etc?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Pretty much the same: or the CR2032 with the holder and a Germanium diode or the VL2020 (it's the Lithium one used in Blizzards, which is rechargeable!)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
yes, but not rechargeable. The VL2020 is rechargeable and have lides to solder directly on the board, pretty much like old NiCd batteries.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
I have already that coin battery holder which I have to mount it on the motherboard, so I go for the CR2032 coin battery then. All these coin batteries are 3V right?

Top Bottom