How much does it cost for a PCB to be cloned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
I have no idea what i'm getting into, but I was thinking of getting some PCBs reverse engineered/cloned. How much would this usually cost?

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Re: How much does it cost for a PCB to be cloned?

All depends on the PCB, how many layers and how complex. You are really talking about reverse engineering. Also the legality of it can be tricky.

It's like the question "how long is a rope"?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

@Dreamy

the problem with that is even ONCE you have cloned the mobo.... you still need custom chips to run it.. =(

by far the most logical version is "The MiniMig", they even have 4MB version now for extra yummy, and *with hope* soon to have Hard File support =)

--- Now please dont think I am trying to shoot you down m8, I love ideas especially the crazy ones =D

If you were still looking to press forward with this idea, rather than reverse-engineer the board itself, it would be better to use the ONLINE A500 / A600 and A2000 specification sheets (okay the A600 hardly readable) in the words of the 21st century..... "Go Boldy Google!"

You would still need Some One or Some Company to produce the PCB from the specifications, however with todays PCB manufacturing ability an 8 Layer board would be quite simple you would still need to populate it with custom chips however, a good design team could compound a lot of the Glue Logic (as we say) into porgrammable chips reducing the foot print even futher (and costs)

In a Lot of ways, the MiniMig has shown that an Amiga on a PCI card could be very feasable (I for one would buy it!)

but as always..... its the Costs!!! those dream crippling, cruel and spitfull costs =(

I would say a prototype of just a re-developed A500 motherboard would rush £15,000 - £25,000

RedDaemonFox

AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :pissed: :Doh: :sigh:

RedDaemonFox

AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901

Now that my shock and aneurysm is over, I realized that the chips would need to be populated, but one step @ a time. OK, now that I know I've dug a hole, I'll look into getting the schematics and start seeing what I can do, I'm thinking I may start looking into getting quotes of around 15,000-25,000 GBP (n) and saving up to get the gerber files and such processed, and begin doing my PCB research, I've wanted to learn about this stuff forever and I can now be finally motivated! SO even if nothing comes 2 this I will learn.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

If you want to start cloning, start from the A500+ board: lots of those destroyed by leaked batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom