arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
What?
How?

I'm sure how to put this question forward to you without sounding like a jealous asshole... :)

But here goes, what are your living arrangements? How do you guys have room for are your loot? I saw in the new loot thread that gazcbm just scored a huge pile of 64 machines. And I guess you have a few machines allready... :)

I live in a 80square meeters flat in a building. Two bedrooms, a living room, bathroo, and kitchen. Other than that I have three storage rooms elsewhere in the building. So room for equipment is at an premium.

How do you guys sort it out? And how does your respective other take all the stuff? Mine is overbearing and accepts it to a degree, but I'm pretty close to the limit of how much more I can take in under our roof... What does your guy say SDG, is it easier for a woman to have a lot of retro gear?

Atm all my machines are awaiting assembly after having been with Anthony in NZ. When things are sorted out I'll have an arrangement for them in the guest room. That's the deal I have with Bente. :)

What's it like at your ends?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Re: How the heck?

I have the (mis)fortune of being a bachelor. My flat is my flat and has my things in it. That said, I don't have any of my systems in a 'permanent' location; they live at the top of wardrobes, or under shelves and stuff, and come out when I want to play with them. That said, I really don't have space for much more, my plans for acquiring an A4000 will have to wait until I make more space somehow.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

I am quite lucky in the fact that Mrs Zetr0 is a Tech lover like me.

but she see's me all giddy and excited when I talk of Amiga, and even as she states she doesn't understand Amiga, she accepts that I love it =D

Of course, I am also lucky to have an Office, and Above Average Storage abilities But I am still limmited in what I have assembled at anyone time in the house.

"I have been trying to get my A2000 off the ground, but I am plauged with issues after issue, not surprising these motherboards are over 20 years old!!! most of the components on them are only rated for half of that!"

So I have a workdesk with my Drill Press, Scroll Saw, Hot-Air Rework Station, Desoldering Station, Sonic Cleaner and 100+ piece component draws,.... on the right side of the of the offce next to the window LOL.... the right side has my office / gaming pc, the wall opposite is my book and software library shelf(s) and the right wall Ihave my SFF PC / LCD and multiple PIC/PROM/EPROM/JTAG and ISP programmers =)

I need more space.... going to be saving up for a big 10x20 shed for the back of the house... in there will go a lot of thats now my office, will be awesome! when its done... prolly after christmas now...

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

arnljot said:
What does your guy say SDG, is it easier for a woman to have a lot of retro gear?

Honestly, I have too much retro gear at the moment and need to sell some of it to make some room. I have a 1750 Square Foot house with a 10x11 room that is pretty much storage for all my stuff. I really wish I had a basement. :)

I actually don't have a boyfriend at the moment so it's not really an issue. Also, I'm always upfront with anyone I meet and they know how much of a geek I am. :D

Take care!

Heather

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

SkydivinGirl said:
<snip> I have a 1750 Square Foot house <snip>I actually don't have a boyfriend at the moment <snip>how much of a geek I am

I think I blanked out there for a moment... LOL. Well, seems that "flat people" are single and house people are looking for a shed. But the statistic foundation for these conclusions are so far lacking :)

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

Our dining room is our hobby room really, one corner is dedicated to retro computers, another to my wife's dolls houses and crafty bits.
All the spare bits and pieces are squeezed under the stairs or in the loft depending on what I'm working on at the time.
Wifey is very tolerant of my "affliction", bless her cottons. :thumbsup2:

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

I have a wife and for kids, 2 left home 2 at home. A 4 bedroom house shed etc work from home so 1 room is my office/workshop and we have filled the house :mrgreen:
We are looking to sell the house in a few years and move onto a narrowboat like the one pictured below, we will have about 2 x 21 m total living space. That is why I sell all my retro gear.

Gary

[attachment=0:1vhlqm0r]boat.JPG[/attachment:1vhlqm0r]

Attachments

• boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 0

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

imnogeek said:
I have a wife and for kids, 2 left home 2 at home. A 4 bedroom house shed etc work from home so 1 room is my office/workshop and we have filled the house :mrgreen:
We are looking to sell the house in a few years and move onto a narrowboat like the one pictured below, we will have about 2 x 21 m total living space. That is why I sell all my retro gear.

Gary

[attachment=0:2aev5sp3]boat.JPG[/attachment:2aev5sp3]

That's real cool! Now there's an awesome plan. Now, an A600 or CD32 can fit in that thing. But maybe you need to go cold turkey not to sink it with retro gear :)

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife

When my wife became pregnant with my second daughter, I was under pressure to relinquish my "office" room to make way for another kids bedroom. So, rather than face getting rid of my Amiga collection (boxes of games, magazines and hardware) not to mention my collection of sci-fi and warhammer models (my geekdom knows no bounds...) I managed to persuade MrsC that we needed a bigger house - for the kids, obviously... ;-)

AndyC

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

I live in a very large house, swimming pool included.

It's a very nice house, 3 bedrooms (4 counting the back one which is where I made my repair shack), one front room dedicated to computers, other for my son.

I have a garage for 3 cars, for example.

I'm way too far to fill the house with computers...

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas

It's just me an my wife here. We have an older house, including the back room (modified from a screened in porch room. Needs more work) we have 1960 square feet. Including the modified back room we have four bedroom two bathroom. Since we no longer have a friend living with us, we have a spare room, which I have turned into a retro computer room. I'm still cleaning it up, but I took pictures after the work I did yesterday. I will post them up later in another thread. How I do it is by being unable to have kids, and my wife doesn't want to adopt yet.

Nathan

*Edit* Oh the back room/porch currently houses my 8 foot by 4 foot tournament legal Warhammer table that I built with my step-father and all of the different minis and rulebooks. It's technically my Gaming room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom